A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Road Runner Update?

Road Runner Update?

It appears that there are several changes to the Road Runner site. They've included a more traditional "magazine" style to the front page with a nifty little selection menu. It also appears the skin has been made "shiny" with smaller text for the nav bar.

Not sure how I feel about it. It's not a major change, but it's definately noticeable.

There's a "magazine view" / "classic view" button over at the top right below the nav which allows you to switch.

Apart from the way the content is layed out I don't see any other graphical changes myself

Well, in digging deeper, there's a nifty little polling module they made. The stock section is changed a bit (all my Shared Object stock symbols were of course deleted unfortunately).

The look of some of the menus is a bit different too.

This is Version 1.5

Released yesterday.
    Features new Magazine View, New improved and faster navigation, new stocks pod, new polling pod and an improved interface. This is just a fraction of what's coming this year for Road Runner. RR 2.0 is "in the works".

- FI / Team +

Re: This is Version 1.5

Originally posted by FI
    RR 2.0 is "in the works".
    I swear I read that as "you can all quit your jobs, we're gonna rule the web designing world".

Cant wait

Maybe it's a stupid question. But wasn't this supposed to a full fllashsite back then?

Right now I always get redirected to a html page in both firefox and explorer. And btw that html isn't displaying right because halfway some piece of code shows up and breaks the page.

See below:
    -----------------------------------------
    Actual speeds may vary.
    ***Speed comparisons are based on average download speed of 28k and 56k modems. <a href="http://c
    -----------------------------------------

link please

-Line
    http://www.LineDetail.com | The LineDetail Drawing Co. | Theme Site Design - Art - Animation
    http://www.WebSlime.com | Low Cost Web Hosting & Domain Names

w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar
    seems like most of what was cool about the site is now gone, all the flash content has been replaced by static html, is this a step backwards? or is something wrong?

I think there's something wrong with the flash detecting. The link in their (FI) portfolio does lead you to the flash-content.

http://www.rr.com/flash

That's to correct address, I've had it bookmarked so I never noticed that rr.com goes to the html page.

I think that makes sense because the rr.com page is selling the broad band service to people who don't have broad band service. You wouldn't want that page to be 100% flash.

Remember, Road Runner is intended to be for Road Runner customers who have that broad band service. It's available to the rest of the world but it's target audience is road runner customers.

rr.com leads to a html site if you are outside of their IP. If you are a Road Runner customer, the flash site is the default under rr.com and the new standard for all RR customers.
    If you are not a Road Runner customer, example FI whom are in Sweden, we need to use the http://www.rr.com/flash or www.rr.com/publicpass version. These 2 links were set up exclusively to show off the service to RR partners and for FI to use.

Funny:

In FireFox, after this morning, it now defaults to the flash version when typing in rr.com only (no need to append /flash).

On IE, it defaults to the rdun version (html) and when I append /flash, it does not default to the new magazine version.

Lots of scripting going on behind the scenes there fellas ... and no matter what, it's still lightyears beyond what most other designers/developers of Flash are doing so kudos.

w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar
    ah good to see still flash then, I was worried for a minute that this was another site that the client had decided to go backwards on like so many others have, but not so, great work

Does anybody know what the main pixel font is they use throughout the site - or can mx2004 render text as it would appear on a HTML page?
    Ian

"or can mx2004 render text as it would appear on a HTML page?"

So does Flash 5, and MX.
    In properties panel, 'use device fonts'.

But doesn't that still anti-aliase the text rather that display them crisply?
    Ian

Looks to be Tahoma 11px throughout the site and perhaps Verdana for the pod titles.

I've used that font before, very useful and clean.

Depending on the technique they used (remember, all this stuff is coming from XML and not being typed in manually) I'd assume they've either set their text fields to Tahoma and used device fonts OR scripted the text in action script so when it loads in the designated fields, it's already formatted.