A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Average Web Design Firm Earnings

Average Web Design Firm Earnings

Hi to all my fellow designers.......

I got a simple question and I really hope you guys can help me out here.

I'm about to lunch my own web design firm soon and I was wondering what the average web design agency is making nowadays. I'm talking about a small company.....from about 3 to 6 employees........

Any ideas? Examples?

Thanks for your help !!!!!!!

well to lunch a whole team of 6 people i would do it at pizza hut and get a couple pitchers of beer can do it for probable less then $50

or you can go to McDonalds and dollar menu it, 6 people, three things each, $18.

haha

Now here's a guy who just learned not to ask serious questions in the lounge

Try posting here for a better response
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

The answer to the question relies on many factors.

Probably most important is the area. Also, the target clients will make a difference. High profile clients will pay more but will also cost a lot more to woo.

Are you asking for profit or income? The amount of profit you make will depend largely on what you pay your employees. The amount you pay them will likely reflect the quality of their work and the quality of clients you will attract.

Ultimately, I think the answer will come from you and how you want to run the business. Some people maximize profits and squeeze everything they can out of everything. It can work but is more risky than developing a more gradual, safe plan for growth.

I'm asking for income...not profit....Lets say the work done will be in the top 10% range as far as design quality. Only simple programming would be done though. In other words, I'm talking about great design work, nice looking and functional shopping carts ranging from 1 to 10 000 products, and anything design related you can possibly think of.
    How much money you think could be brought in ?

This is a sample site.....to view other pages from the home page...look for hidden link to the left of menu. It is still under construction.......

http://www.laurentolivier-usa.com/

Thanks to all....the serious and the funny posters....

What area?

hourly? annualy? Projectly?

For me, I get

$35 hourly, god knows annually and about $1000-2000 projectly.

Thing is I'm just some dumb kid who freelances on the side. You're question is really very very broad. How can someone answer this?

I have a fixed rate for projects, and any update work done after the project goes at an hourly rate of around $60.

Per project, it depends on what I do. Things like branding, identities and such can go up to about $20,000 but it all depends on your client. I wouldn't ask $20,000 from a local flower shop, but I would ask something like that from a large company like Sony, Philips and whatnot. That's the most important factor in charging -- thinking of what your client is willing to pay.

Smaller print work goes for about $5000 to $8000, and I decided I won't do websites anymore.
    hello.

Smaller print work goes for about $5000 to $8000
    omg wouter, are you hiring?

ok since people r posting numbers

lets get interactive inc makes about 80k a year from multiple clients

Originally posted by Fearless
    omg wouter, are you hiring?

Mind you, the best way to get serious, professional clients is to charge more. You'll get more respect, won't have to deal with copywriting ($60 an hour is a bit expensive for copywriting, no?), and all the material is delivered correctly and on time. No more hassle with small clients that keep on asking for revisions and whatnot.
    hello.

Peace - Just in Heaven koolbabs2000's Avatar
    Before hiring - firstly see if you got work, projects.
    How long it will last, after that project what next.
    Plan out the things.
    Dont hire first coz U gotta pay them remember.
    The main thing is U will have to pay for
    a place to start office, furniture, equipments, computers
    and the rest of the stuff.
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
    - The Mahatma.

Originally posted by vampstko
    ok since people r posting numbers

lets get interactive inc makes about 80k a year from multiple clients
    http://www.******************.com/ yields Page Cannot Be Displayed. Time to pay bills with some of that 80k!
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Jeeze... you think a professional company would have researched something like this before "setting up"...

Just goes to show any idiot with a computer can call themselves a "design company".

Moved to the correct forum.

Originally posted by Markp.com
    Jeeze... you think a professional company would have researched something like this before "setting up"...

Just goes to show any idiot with a computer can call themselves a "design company"
    Agreed. I think the idea here is not to think about how much money you can make, but whether, in fact, you have a valid BUSINESS PLAN. This is a fairly important concept when it comes to things like:
    Financial forecasting
    P & L statements
    Recurring revenue
    Business growth
    Client retention
    Sales and Marketing
    etc.
    Note: None of the above have anything to do with your "mad skillz" or anything like that. Running a business has much more to do with your business savvy than your technical knowledge. While that will be an important factor, most business founders will spend much more time refining their products and practices while keeping their company afloat than sharpening their primary skillset.

In addition, if you've truly thought out the business model, you'll realize that in order to be reaping the financial benefits you are obviously looking for, you will need to be serious. This meanshaving more than a cool looking website. Office space, equipment, a business plan, financial backing (thie means a small business loan, which you will NOT get without the info seem to be looking for here in this thread.)

My advice is to pick up a book on starting a small business before you pick up anymore books on photoshop or flash or anything else like this. Another good idea is to talk to an accountant. Good luck.

RH
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

the biggest myth ever:

"I'm a great web designer. I should start a web design company."

not saying this applies to you, but most people who start a web development firm think this way. Remember, when running a business, the services you offer are the least of your concerns - you've got a business to run!

I'd recommend getting E-Myth Revisited before starting a business. Then approach this from a different way. Instead of asking "how much money can I make," ask "what need can I satisfy?" Identify a market and a service thaht market will need. Then make sure you will be able to reach that market. Then identify the costs associated with providing that service (both direct like employee salary, and indirect like rent and software liscences) and how much you'll need to charge to break even.

THEN, the amount you can make is whatever extra you can add on top of that, multiplied by how many clients you get.

I wouldn't suggest starting out with some employees, too much overhead for a startup. Instead, you should start out by moonlighting (running your business while holding onto another job) until you see its sustainable, then go for it. Once you start needing some help find local help but start out using them simply as freelancers (pay per project), and once you have a steadier stream of income take on an employee or two. The more work you get, the less actual web development you should be doing; you'll be working on your business. You'll definately need to get good at project management if you want to be successful.

No one can tell you how much you can make. It depends on how much work you can get, and how efficiently you can handle it.
    Last edited by MG315; 04-06-2005 at 05:11 PM.
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

Originally posted by hanratty21
    http://www.******************.com/ yields Page Cannot Be Displayed. Time to pay bills with some of that 80k!
    hmm sites up fine for me.. haven't touched my site in 2 years though..clients keep me busy and thats the goal right..