A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What do I look for in a host...

What do I look for in a host...

I have created a website (almost have all the kinks out!) completely in FLASH MX Pro 2004 and now need advice on what to look for from hosting companies and tricks to publish it.

I was previously using FrontPage and I knew what to look for with that program however I don't know what special requests I need for Flash

TIA

Left-Handed Flash User mickbrit55's Avatar
    Hello

You don't need anything special for Flash files on a host. Just make sure that they allow files with the .swf and .as extensions - almost all do now.

You may want to consider asking them if they support php and MySql. You may need it later when you get further along the development road. Again, almost all do, but it's best to check.

I have tried dozens of different host, ranging from the kinda ok to the downright terrible! Take a look here, I am pretty happy with these guys and it doesn't break the bank :

https://ixwebhosting.com/

Mick.

thanks

Thanks for the info, I will check out that hosting company.

What is the php that I keep reading about?

Left-Handed Flash User mickbrit55's Avatar
    Hello ...

php is a server-side scripting language. You can send info to a php from Flash and back again. For instance, say you had a form on your site and you want the information that the user enters to be delivered to your email addres, all properly formatted. No problem, php can do that for you.

MySql is a database program that interacts with php really well. You can pull info from MySql and let php do stuff with it.

Mick.

Thanks

I figured it must be something like that. I will add it to my list of this to learn!