A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: IBM PS/2 Model 50

Sometimes in Estonia, sometimes in Sweden

IBM PS/2 Model 50

Well I have a small DOS problem and I did not know where to post this. I posted it on flashkit because I know that I can almost always rely on a fast reply, which I need at the moment.
    Well here is the problem:

I have an IBM PS/2 Model 50, which had a win3x on it, but then I decided to clear all the info on C: and I Fdisked it, formatted the C and deleted all partitions and made a new primary DOS partition. Now I am stuck at this point, because at startup the machine says "Missing operating system"
    Which is not bad, because it is not an error, just a message.
    I am quite a beginner at instaling DOS, so I dont know really where to go from here.
    I tried some DOS 4, DOS 5 boot-disks. They boot on A: and the dos seems to "run" from the floppy drive. Well I need a dos on the machine and ... yes, that is what I need to do
    If anyone has experience with FreeDOS, it would also be nice to hear, because I tried one of their floppy images! It boots fine, but it boots abd all that my screen says is "."
    A dot basically.
    Any help is apreshiated =}
    The situation is different now!

Uhu!

I googled it 10000 times
    But anywas, I solved it.
    rd-dos is a beauty
    /and I was trying to install DOS, not windows :P
    me no liek windows
    Last edited by interesting; 04-09-2005 at 05:24 PM.

I used to have one of these... long time ago.

when you used fdisk, did you create a primary/bootable partition? Sounds like you didn't.

If you can boot into FreeDOS - btw, this all means you're using an older hard drive too, PS2's used microchannel sub-architecture, IIRC - then you should be able to find your C:\ and then reformat using format /s to make it bootable as well.

command.com should be in your root of that drive. if not... well see what fdisk /mbr pulls up for you - that should be available on DOS 5.x and above - as well as FreeDOS.

Dude... you got an ancient, ancient machine. I can't even get mine to boot any longer. Got pictures?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

:)

Dude, I have 6 of them computers!!!
    I finished the work on the first one today, going to mix something up smoe other time, ill up some pics later if u so want.
    My friend has an even more ancient one, like SERIOUSLY ancient, but I have to ask him what model it was =]