A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: triggering quicktime movies to play

triggering quicktime movies to play

This should be simple, but...

I have a project (a flash cd) that has to remain as an .exe (not quicktime) when finished, and therefore keep its interactivity.

Whithin the cd there's several buttons that each need to trigger quicktime movies to play. They should play on their own...not inside the flash cd.

The movies all together are too big to embed in the flash movie, so I have to link them from somewhere on the cd.

How do you go about this? I'm sure the answer is right there in front of my nose but every tutorial I read tells me that the whole project has to become a quicktime. Am I understanding this right?

Thanks.
    Waizen

Am I understanding this right?
    No.

How big are these movies? I mean file size.

By the way, did you know you can burn to a DVD?

There are six movies in all, Around 20 MB each or so.

At the moment, I'm thinking of putting each movie in its own html file and then calling these html files up from the buttons in my movie. Let them play when the html file comes up.

The html files would live on the cd, along with the movies.

Anyone know if this is doable? I have to wait till work tomorrow to find out.

You said you want them to play on their own and not in flash. Why? It's really simple to play them in flash. Even easier if you have Sorensen Squeeze.

i have no shoes. i am sad baby jeebus's Avatar
    i have just been doing a similar thing- an exe with heaps of video, about 80 mb, and heaps of bimaps.
    my exe file comes down to about 120 mb, which is fine for burning on a cd (if not a little annoying to have to deal with such big stuff all the time- testing is the biggest pain!)
    i also dont understand why you would want to open seperate files? the separate files will have to be burnt on the cd too, so you will still have the same amount of mb to burn to your cd, probably even more...
    imo if you put them into your flash doc it will help your presentation look more professional, and its a good chance to learn how to do it.
    all the way with Stephanie K

It's not the overall file size of the cd I'm worried about, it's the final size of the .exe the user's computer has to run. This thing has to be able to run on laptops on the field, so the smaller the .exe, the better, with the video files only having to get into the picture when needed (btw: 1 of the videos is 80 MB and another is 100 MB).

Well, it's not like you have to build it all into a single exe. Do it exactly like you would a flash movie, with external swf's for the content not seen in the original main interface. Use loadMovie to load all other content. Only the main movie needs be an exe, the rest can be swf's.

Thank you to all who helped (especially iaskwhy).

For me, the answer was to create separate .swf files, each containing a video (and a preloader), then putting each of these in their own html files, which open at a limited size when called from the cd.

Then, when a button is pushed in my main project, the html file is called up and the video plays.

Again, thanks.
    Last edited by waizen; 04-21-2005 at 05:10 PM.

you could transform them to .flv format with flash and then play them from every location they are stored in, and in comparison to embedded video its better due tue possible different frame rates on your video and player.....
    :::i am jacks complete lack of surprise:::