A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need very basic help...2minutes please

Need very basic help...2minutes please

I followed these instructions:
    http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/..._comm_app.html

I now have, what I think is a complete application, but it doesn't seem to work. I think my trouble is with the falsh communication server and not actually a problem with the app itself. I have all of the components displayed on my webbrowser screen but if I click on the login, it doesn't seem to do anything and I don't see any active applications on the admin console of the communication server. I have a few questions about the application first though.

1. Should the SimpleConnect component have an instance name? The directions don't say to name it? All other components got names.
    2. I have my "firstapp" in C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash Communication Server MX\applications\firstapp is this correct?
    3. I created the main.asc file with notepad and it has what ever default permissions that it gets automatically. Is that ok?
    4. Should all the components be set to "movie"?

5. What am I doing wrong with the communication server? I accepted all of the defaults on the trial developers addition I installed and it appears to be running but I can't tell for sure?

Thanks for your help,
    Ressor

Are you trying to run your FCS server on your computer or another? If another verify your firewall isn't blocking the ports, i believe 1935 qand 1111 are the ports that FCS uses, not 100% on those though.

Another, a problem I had when I first started out was that I didn't understand completly where on the server I was to put the files at first. Double check you understand those instructions.

I am running the FCS on the same system that I am developing and testing on. I was concerned taht this could be an issue. I know nothing about flash so I can only go by what the instructions that I posted said, but the directory that they describe does not seem to exist so I put my files in one that seemed correct.

DO you happen to know if the component I asked about should get a name and also be a type of "movie"?

Thanks,
    Ressor

Simple connect does not need a instance name.

Keep in mind that the main.asc file does not go in the same directory as your .swf the directory looks right.

componets set to movie? Not sure what you are talking about. the built in componets that you jus drag and drop do not need any modifying except for instance names for them to work.

Hope this helps.

Well....first of all... Thank you very much for replying to my post. for some reason, I'm having trouble getting any help.

I did have the main.asc in the wrong directory but it didn't seem to help. Now I've rebuilt the whole thing 10 times and although the simpleconnect component and setbandwith are clickable and seem to do something, the others don't respond at all.

I'm so frustrated. I can't understand what could possibly make this so difficult. Is there any special setting for the FCS that I need to do, beyond the installed defaults? It seems as if the components are not talking to the server. I've changed the rmtp path in the Application Directory settings for the Simple_Connect component rtmp:/firstapp and rtmp://localhost/firstapp, but neither seem to do anything.

Please help...
    Ressor

When you have it loaded. And in one browser have the app loaded.

Go into the FCS control panel and it should list all the apps that is has loaded and how many connections in each. Verify that it is registering both in there.

I'm finnaly getting somwhere...

I've been able to get the application to work for me by putting the swf and fla and html files in the C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash Communication Server MX\samples\webcam2 directory and specifying rtmp:/webcam2 in the application directory feild of the Simple connect component. My new confusion is with my Linux based FCS. I cannot get any of the samples that require a main.asc to work and I think it has to do with the directory locations of both the swf, fla and html files along with the main.asc file that goes with them.

What does the application directory field need to point to for the Simple Connect components? The directory where the main.asc file is? Can you specify the full path?

Where should the swf, fla and html files be located? I have them in a directory off of my main webroot directory.

I assume that the FCS server needs to know where everything is so that it can find the path to the main.asc files.

Thanks,
    Ressor

I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!

I'm exhausted! lol

Thank you very much for your help so far. I'm sure I'll be loggin many more questions in the near future as I try to learn more, but for now... I got my app to work on my linux server!

Thanks!!!
    Ressor

no need to upload the fla. The server can't do anything with it.

Here is a question for you.

Can the AV window be made square instead of rounded edges?

yes just edit the componet.

But i recommend that you make a duplicate first and then edit the duplicate so you will always have an orginal and can then add your edited version to your componets library for future use.

I'm obviously new to this but I looked at every line in the avpresence.asc, videoconference.asc and component.asc and I can't find any lines that even look like they might control the size or shap of the window. I've tried changing the properties when I select the object in Falsh MX but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Also, I'm trying to figure out why each new video chat application I build seems to load with the name that I origianlly tested it with in the login feild that should say "Your Name"? Where does this get populated from? I've even tried to manually create new main.asc files and that didn't help.

Thanks,
    Ressor

Ok... I found a way to resize the "transform" option. It worked but the video quality is very poor. I tried again to also change the properties of teh avpresence but it had no affect.

Any hints?

Ressor