A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Navigation Map.

Navigation Map.

Alright, Im working on an assignment for college and im incorporating some flash into the navigation. The site is based on Super Mario (we had to base our project around the Evolution of somthing, so I choose Mario! being interested in games..) And I decided to use the world map screen from Super Mario World for the Links..

I looking for the best way to recreate the world map so that Mario will go from one point on the map, which will represent a link, to another point, which could be via other points.

Sooo if a user where to click on a link, the Mario character sprite would move from, say point A, to point C..is there a way to create a path for the sprite to follow? I have a good knowledge of flash, but not of Actionscript and dont wish to have to make animations for each movment, as if I have 10 links, I would have 9 paths from each of the 10 points..talking alot of small animations..

oh yeah, the map is pretty much just an animation..there wont be any links on it or anything, the links will be in a drop down menu below the map, and the walking from point to point animation will play as the user clicks the links in the drop down menu..

Also, making things more complicated I suppose, the character spirte would have to change depending on the way it is moving..its nothing special, 4 sprites one for each direction..

I probably havnt explained myself very well..shout if I need to explain in a bit more depth..
    have so many other things I wish to add to this..but Ill ask about that if I can get this sorted ^^

(using flash mx)
    Last edited by Cutter888; 04-24-2005 at 07:57 AM.

No ideas?

*cough*

hi i just read ur problem and made a basic template

Thanks for the input! tis a good idea, and the way I was gonna do it was when the Mario sprite reached its destination point I was going to have a Loadmovie on the last frame which would drop down a screen over the map, which would relate to the page the user had clicked on, creating a different Header image for each page..which would go back up when the user mouses over the links, to reveal the map again..

the map could be reset automatically without the reset button as the screen drops down over the map..

I was hoping there would be a way to create it using some sort of paths though, so when the screen drops down over the map, the sprite would still be in the same place as he was left and would walk to the next point from where ever he was left off..obviously this will be a little more complex..thanks for your help though