A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash help - mask layer not working when movie is exported

Flash help - mask layer not working when movie is exported

hey, i created a movie which works fine when played in Flash MX under Control-Play. But when i click test movie, or export it, it plays all apart from a masked layer in the middle (showing a spotlight movie).

If anyone wants to help, or has any idea what is wrong please reply or let me know your email and ill send the .fla file.

Posting the sample file along would help ur problem solved in a better fashion..

Open the tween of the mask layer there u have a symbol(movie Clip) in it break it apart using Ctrl+b and test the movie its done, ur mask has start working now...

The reason for this problem was that inside the tween u r using a symbol and the outline of that symbol is not included into it the other way of solving this problem may be to delete the outline of the symbol inside the tween

ahh ok thanks guys, ill check it when i get home from college, as they only have flash 5 here, not mx which sucks

ill let u know if i come accross any problems later

thanks again!

Kool!

Hapy flashing !!

hey, i tried what you said - breaking the symbol (the spotlight) apart, but still comes up with the same.

Again it works when i click control-play, but when i come to click test movie, or export it to .swf format, it still does not show the masked layer.

Im kind of new to flash so please if u could give me a step by step of how u made it work after it was exported then that would be great. Thanks again!!
    Last edited by daniel_french; 05-10-2005 at 02:09 PM.

I think its working now Plz check the attached zip file.
    1. Forget abt breaking apart of clip open the tween
    2. click the circle in it the movie clip would get selected.
    3. Cut it from there using Ctrl+x
    4. Insert a new layer .
    5. Right click on the stage and select paste in place(this would paste the clip exactly at the same place as it previously was)
    6. after doing this u would see that the previous layer still contains the outline of the clip circle.(thats the thing that is causing this problem).
    7.Delete either the layer or the line only
    8. U r done

I hope this little explaination solves ur problem
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ahh thanks alot man, works great. Do you use Flash professionally? If so how long have u been using it 4?

Thanks again man, its for my brothers bands website, he's well pleased with it. im just adding in some sound as we speak. he wants about 1 min of sound, but it makes the file about 200KB big. Too big for a intro to a website i think!

Thanks again my friend

I have been using using flash mx professionally for over six moths now but still face some problems while developing projects.

As per song go to the library pannel right click the imported files a d dialogue box would open showing a check box "Use imported mp3 quality" uncheck it there would be several option in the drop down lists that would be enabled . U'll have to play around with these options. Starting with the bit rate 32 kbps and quality as best would be a good start..

One more suggestion just a suggestion! In the file u sent u have made a text base button. open that button clip that would show u the four states of the button insert a new layer and draw a rectangle under the text in the hit frame (hit frame is never called so dont worry abt the color of the recatngle). The problem with the button u currently are using is that it is read as button only at the places u have some letter shape and not in the spaces in between them.

And very best of luck for your brother's band