A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: navigation problems in the timeline

navigation problems in the timeline

hey guy's i'm using flash mx professional 2004 i have a button embedded deep within a couple of mc's
    all the rollovers work, however i cannot seem to get any actions on the buttons to work.
    All i want is when the button is clicked it will take you to a different scene (scene2) on the main timeline.
    i know this is proberbly simple but i can't figure out what i'm doing wrong, i just thought it was a case of targeting back up to the root but it doesn't work.

any help would be really appreciated i'm a student with a deadline in 3 days! and would like to debug as much as possible.
    thanks in advance

scenes are crap, don't use them, but anyway:

on the first frame of your scene, make a label (click into the first timeline frame and in your property inspector on the left field called label, write some name like "myLabel" w/o the quotes).
    then to your button assign something like:
    code:

on(release){
    _root.gotoAndPlay("myLabel")//this time with quotes!
    }

with labels, you don't have to use scenes anymore. The only reason i can imagine the usefulness of scenes is when creating extremely long timeline animations, since flash sometimes fails to render such files. but if you can avoid scenes, pls. do so and use labels instead on one timeline.
    :::i am jacks complete lack of surprise:::

thank you

thanks for the help and advice, i started animating on flash way before i started dabbling in actionscript and think i've picked up a few bad habits.
    good point about the labels your right it's much easier than scenes.
    thanks in advance