A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Drastic changes...

Hi all..

I am in a tance. My menu page is 338 KB! Consider if u are a dial up modem user.. u will have to wait so long!
    This size does not include my background music and there are so many more buttons to make!

I try to remedy by deleting some movie(s) and some unused symbols that i created earlier on. However, i find that once u reach a particular size..it does not reduce anymore!

I use gifs for all my graphics..and yet its so big. I use tweening, masking and tell targets to control the elements..

Can u all guys advice me what to do..what to delete to make it smaller?

Need help...

Sherraine

hello,
    don't ask me how I found this post because I don't really know.
    All of your images are in gif format?? That's most likely what the problem is, and if they're animated or tweened then they'll take up even more space.
    You should use mostly vector graphics in flash, and leave bitmap images for the background... well, this is what people think anyway. Other things that takes up alot of space are text fields that include font outlines.. try to stay away from those, or only include the outlines that are asbolutely necessary.
    Well, I hope this helps.
    You posted this like two weeks ago so this probably won't be of any help but you never know...

good luck,
    Andrew

also when u delete unused symbols it does not change the size of the swf whatsoever.
    it only changes the size of the fla.