A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [off topic]java or director, wich one is better for 3d?

[off topic]java or director, wich one is better for 3d?

IF i want to make a totaly 3d game, it is better to learn java or director?
    I gess the advantage of java, some say, it is a language similar to actionscript,so, it may be easier to learn
    Also, wonder wich one is faster to run and wich one makes smaller files to the same content...

my x booty it is that BIG
    java i would say the reason been is because the market for java base games is greater then that of flash/director and also if you are able to get the hang on java you can develope games for mobile phones and it will be easier to find buyers for such hence the fact that an average of 90% of mobile phones support java games and the amount of phones that support 3d java games is still growing...then again that's is all just opinion base you have to check out the market and if you plan to make a living out of games or just making them for fun
    Project||[GAME]-on hold for now
    ------------------
    [Hero]-80%
    [Enemies]-1%
    [Weapons]-90%
    [Items]-0%
    [Levels]-10%

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Java...

However, it's easier to deal with Director 3D in many respects.

-pXw

I would say Director, because seems like You don't know either one. Director has already working media-engine, so you can jump right away to the game logic part.

With java, You'd first had to do a working graphic-engine with 3d-support.

Absolutely Director!
    Director supports hardware acceleration through DirectX and openGL while java doesn't.

(Java can actually work with openGL but you need extra libraries)

Also Director comes with a quite powerfull 3D engine that can be easily accessed and programmed through high level scripting langauges (Javascript and Lingo)

If you plan to deploy your 3D game on the web Director is maybe the only choice ...

On the other hand if you plan to create a downloadable game then both options are great, with a still a little preference towards Director for productivity reasons...

Lapo
    www.gotoandplay.it
    Flash game developers community
    www.smartfoxserver.com
    Multiplayer Flash Server

Its a game to run only in my site
    When comes to 3d, this directx and opengl stuff makes director faster, rigth, but when it comes to other calculations, without 3d,wich one is faster?
    Also, wich one is safer to protect your games (none?)?
    Wich one can read external files, like a xml dinamicaly created from a php ?
    Yeah, i dont know nothing about both, the easier to learn is important

Also, now i remember director already comes with his own multiuser server, not sure how powerfull and easy to learn it is, compared to java multiuser stuff...
    Last edited by Incrue; 05-27-2005 at 08:24 AM.

This people who buy flashgames, they also buy director/java games?

When comes to 3d, this directx and opengl stuff makes director faster, rigth, but when it comes to other calculations, without 3d,wich one is faster?
    Certainly Java

Also, wich one is safer to protect your games (none?)?
    Difficult to say. Java is simple to reverse engineer but there are also many ways to protect it. I haven't heard of decompilers for Director ...

Wich one can read external files, like a xml dinamicaly created from a php ?
    It seems XML support in Director is not as solid as in Flash (http://www.director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=1154)
    Java has great support for XML.

Yeah, i dont know nothing about both, the easier to learn is important
    Then I would download a Director trial copy ...

Lapo
    www.gotoandplay.it
    Flash game developers community
    www.smartfoxserver.com
    Multiplayer Flash Server

Director wit javascript...w tis is suposed to be good?Cos it lookes like actionscript?
    I mean, lingo is also similar to actionscript too, istn it?
    First time in m life i saw javascript i didnt like it, seems tousands of times more complicated tam actionscript
    now comes tis director wit javascript ting...sounds like more unusefull complication...

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    I found lingo quite easy to learn, but i couldnt work out how to do some of the simple things like increase the number of a variable, or get the coords of a 3D object, then my trial ran out but i think that if you want somthing thats easy to learn, go with director, i could have almost made a simple 3D game in the time i used the trial.

Ali

Originally posted by Incrue
    Director wit javascript...w tis is suposed to be good?Cos it lookes like actionscript?
    I mean, lingo is also similar to actionscript too, istn it?
    First time in m life i saw javascript i didnt like it, seems tousands of times more complicated tam actionscript
    now comes tis director wit javascript ting...sounds like more unusefull complication...
    lingo is not that similar to actionscript (actually its way different ).
    Besides that its just a totally own language,it doesn´t have a lot in common with more modern languages which are more following the oop sheme,its also not ideal to get into if you come from another language (just because its its own thing i´d say).
    javascript is pretty similar to actionscript(1) as both are based on the same open standard.
    Allowing javascript coding in director is meant to make it easier for people coming from other languages to swap to director.
    On a sidenote when you code something in javascript (in director) it runs a bit slower than the same thing coded in lingo,then again you may probably only notice that if you do really performance intensive things in director (so if you´d do a 2d game,which is not performance intensive in director if you do it in a reasonable way,you´ll probably not have any issues when you code in javascript).

on the genral discussion i´d suggest using java if you´re aiming for the mobile market (or think you could do so in the future) and suggest to go for director if you want to do more performance demanding (compared to flash) content for the web now.
    if you plan for a longer timespan though (so longer than for one product cycle),i´m not sure if i´d still suggest director then,as its not sure how and if it will be ondeveloped after the adobe/macromedia deal is in place (if it happens).

i choose director, try to search for the havok engine plugin

Q:How to do this with director?
    A:Use flash stuff
    How to do that with director?Use flash stuff
    Now, this is funny
    Seems that director is only a way to increase the powers of flash

who said use flash stuff in reply to the question "how to do this with director?"
    flash can be used in director (and many do so) to (for example) create guis,intros etc in director content,but flash doesn´t run speedier or is upgraded in a different way in director.
    director and flash both have their advantages and disadvantages,i´d just use both (or a combination of em) where it makes sense.

Originally posted by tomsamson
    who said use flash stuff in reply to the question "how to do this with director?"
    A lot of articles in macromedia's site

Originally posted by mclelun
    i choose director, try to search for the havok engine plugin
    sorry guys, seems that havok is not supporting their havok xtra plugin for director anymore

anyway here is the website
    www.havok.com

here is more info
    http://director-online.com/havok/xdev/main.html