A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: AOL going down the crapper...

AOL going down the crapper...

Anyone else witness this lame company clinging on to it's last, desperate attempt to gain new subscribers? Supposedly, AOL is the only program that can protect you form viruses and spammers.

I just got off the phone with an AOL telemarketer and this is basically how our conversation went....

AOL: (real geeky voice) Hello sir this is blablabla from AOL just informing you that you have been selected to receive a free package and I just wanted to confirm your address.

ME: Ok

AOL: Ok sir now this conversation will be recorded for...

ME: Wait a sec, what is it exactly you are sending me?

AOL: Oh it's our new AOL software 9.0 which has many new options....

ME: And what is this going to do for me, being that I already have a cable modem?

AOL: Well sir that's even better, because if you have AOL you can protect yourself from viruses and...

ME: But I already have McCaffe Virus scanner which works fine

AOL: Well you will also be able to protect yourself from unwanted spam

ME: Yes and I have a spam blocker as well. A free one at that.

AOL: And that's perfectly fine, because with AOL you get another option.

ME: And that is?

AOL: Well you get to watch movies on your computer

ME: Really? I can watch movies on my computer just fine now.

AOL: Yes but with AOL you can watch movies without being connected to the internet!

ME: No kidding! It's called a DVD player, and it came with my computer. I can also download them just fine to my desktop and watch them whenever.

AOL: Ok sir that's fine, AOL also lets you browse with a variety of different browsers including netscape, internet explorer, etc...

ME: And this is different from any other ISP because....?

AOL: ........

ME: So basically it's totally worthless.

AOL: Well, yes

ME: You agree with me?

AOL: Unfortunatley, yes I do.

I think AOL only gets bussiness from families that just want to try "that internet thing" and have no idea how to keep their computer safe. I would be curious to see if they have been losing money lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Visionray

LMFAO!

Owned!

-genesis f5 (mx)

you should record this stuff.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

it's actually the second time I've had a telemarketer agree that their service was basically pointless.

The last time was a phone call from MCI or some other company trying to get me to sign up for their long distance at 5 cents a minute. This is after I already told them that my current plan with Verizon is 5 cents a minute.

Yet for some reason he kept badgering me, trying to get me to switch. Switching to the other company would result in a 20 dollar setup fee, just so I could get the same stupid plan. What would be the point of that? I asked him.

He fumbled around and tried pulling stuff out of his ass until he finally said, "you know what, you're right, it doesn't make any sense". I said something to the effect of..."You hate your job right now don't you". He agreed and then we both started laughing and said our goodbyes.

lol. funny

unfortunately, AOL was smart and bought properties in all kinds of other businesses that should do a good job of keeping the company afloat for many more years to come. why they continue to push their dial-up service so much is beyond me. are there really that many people still using it?!

I'm a GaNerd.
    Yeah the sad thing is though. Is that so many people see it as a Super fast connection ya know? While on the commericals they are just probalbly uploading local files lol. With "Blazing Fast", a 256kb Download Connection, you can sure do soooo much multitasking! But Sadly Earthlink with their 3meg dl speed looks nice for 19.99 a month for 6 months...40$ Here But I'm curious..Is there a Contract?!
    Yah I use Firefox etc. So I don't really worry about Spyware anyways. Because If I use Ad-aware I sort've delete all my cookies

hahaha... thats how I felt about pretty much every call when I was a telemarketer.

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Visionray

LMFAO.... boy my sides hurt... also in dog house for waking kids up now

that ones gonna keep a smile on my face for at least a week
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!