A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Best Graphics Card?

Best Graphics Card?

I'm finding it more and more amazing how many games refuse to run on the GeForce 4 MX card, such as Splinter Cell: Pandora. Hell, not even the Thief 3 demo will run on it.

They run on older cards and newer cards. But never my card.

So, lets get a nice list of the best, most capable and relevant cards out there. I know you all have your preference when it comes to brands, so let’s hear it.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

You mean to tell me no one has any suggestions on graphics cards? Surely someone can point me in the right direction. I'm thinking about getting at ATI card, most likely.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

Ati X800.
    I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is.

A few things:
    Price range? (under 200, 300, 400, etc?)
    Interface connection? (AGP4x, AGP8x, PCI-x?)

These are big factors. Since you are working on an old card, I'll assume AGP...most of the cards can handle 8x or 4x, so the speed shouldn't be a big problem...

In that case...
    Best bang for the buck: Gigabyte 6600 GT - $189
    Best midrange card: XFX 6800GT - $292 after rebate
    Best card period: Sapphire X800 XT PE - $446.50

I'd work on price range. The last one is really beyond the need of most gamers. This is for game-kiddies who kick the butts of 35 year old men online because of 5 extra FPS during Counter Strike. The first one is probably more than you'll need for several years. The main difference here is the amount of frames per second you'll get for each game. Check Toms Hardware Guide for good specs.

In my opinion, the midrange one is going to play games for 5 years to come, though. If it were me, that's what I'd get...spend the extra 100 bucks, and get a card that will be good for 5 years to come.

RH
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

The price range is really up to 300, but if it's worth it I have no problem spending the extra hundred.

---Edit---

Just opened up the case to check, I do not have a PCI-express slot, so AGP it is.
    Last edited by ViRGo_RK; 06-12-2005 at 11:54 PM.

I've got the NVidia 6600 GT, upgraded from a NVidia Ti 4200 and I've been happy with it from a games perspective.

From a programming standpoint, the 6600 is slow as all get-out when trying to do anything with a pixel shader using GLSL (if anyone knows a way to speed things up, please do tell). ATI's and NVidia are fairly similar, the only difference would be which extensions get supported and that ATI has drivers that support OpenGL 2. That and ATI tends to show speed increases in certain areas that NVidia does decently (this might be due to slightly different generations as I don't recall the various cards that I saw this happen on).

But, I'm guessing that you don't care about the programming standpoint. I've always bought NVidia, but I have no reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ViRGo_RK
    I'm finding it more and more amazing how many games refuse to run on the GeForce 4 MX card,
    IIRC, the GeForce 4 MX is really a GeForce 2 in disguise.

The Radeon 9800Pro line should be under $200 by now if you're looking to save a few bucks.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Official Vermont Photo Mod WannaBe_80z's Avatar
    I have a Radeon 9800pro all0in-wonder and paid $350 back last summer so i am sure it well under that now

Most amazing all round card for the price...
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

The price range is really up to 300, but if it's worth it I have no problem spending the extra hundred.
    I'd go with that 6800 GT that I mentioned earlier.

If you are looking for a card with vid capture ability as well, the 9800 Pro AIW card is a nice option too. I've seen them for less than 240 or so. Look on newegg.com

RH
    Last edited by hanratty21; 06-13-2005 at 04:32 PM.

yes, exactly what i was going to say. bought everything that i built my new computer with except the mobo(which i should have waited for newegg) from www.newegg.com

best service and usually very competetive prices...got all my stuff(half from jersey, other half from cali) in 2 days and i am in Vermont
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Another question on video cards, more specifically Radeons. What makes the [model]Pro different from the [model]XT?

XT is higher end. Get a couple cards you are interested in, in a kinda wide what concentrated range and compare specs and prices and see what is worth more too you.

Another question on video cards, more specifically Radeons. What makes the [model]Pro different from the [model]XT?
    The internet is such a cool place. A wealth of information!

http://ati.com/products/gamer.html

http://nvidia.com/page/geforce6.html

ATI - X800 < X800 < X800 PRO < X800 XL < X800 XT PE
    NVIDIA - 6800 < 6800GT < 6800 ULTRA

Seek and ye shall find, young internet Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21
    The internet is such a cool place. A wealth of information!

http://ati.com/products/gamer.html

http://nvidia.com/page/geforce6.html

ATI - X800 < X800 < X800 PRO < X800 XL < X800 XT PE
    NVIDIA - 6800 < 6800GT < 6800 ULTRA

Seek and ye shall find, young internet Jedi.
    Ah yes, to think maybe I was there already

Actually I visited yesterday to ATI's site, and the product comparison thing was broken. So thats when I started this thread. It seems to be up and running now.

Dont necessarily sell yourself on ATI before you look at the new NVIDIA cards. For certain price ranges, the NVIDIA's outperform. It seems like you're hell bent on an ATI. Nothing wrong with them at all, the others are worth a good long look as well.

RH

I'll make sure to take them into consideration. Basically, I'm looking for a card that will out preform the Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro. Which might also include the ones you mentioned, have to get around to comparing them all.

Thanks for the help everyone, keep on chatting. You're all very informative

I'll make sure to take them into consideration. Basically, I'm looking for a card that will out preform the Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro.
    6800GT - the $292 one I posted. Check it.

You Make Me Want To La La
    the best ATI card you'll find right now is an x850 XT PE
    the best Nvidia card you'll find would be dual 6800 Ultra's in SLI.

Very soon though the dual core cards for both ATI and Nvidia will hit the shelves and they will completely destroy the above cards.

http://www.brainconnection.com

search the site for... 'vision'
    as above so below
    as below so above
    Last edited by Naked inc.; 06-14-2005 at 02:07 AM.