A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need Advice - Flash or HTML?

Need Advice - Flash or HTML?

Hello good people,

I'm embarking on a new project and I need some help figuring out how to proceed. I'm attaching a (redacted) version of one of the pages designed by the designer, and I'm hoping someone could take a look at it and let me know if they think this is a project for Flash or HTML/frames?

Please note, for the home page of the site I'm thinking of doing a top and bottom frame in HTML and then the middle section in Flash. But for this particular page it looks like a job for FRAMES? But not sure if Frames are a bad idea these days... Does this look like it could be done easily in Flash?

I'm no guru but I've got 5 years of beginner/basic (Flash 4-5, not that familiar with MX 2004 though that's what I'm working with) experience.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,

Zoe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Personally, I have never had a problem using HTML frames. Unless you plan to make the site more interactive, it makes more sense to do it in HTML. Doing it in Flash will cause problems for people who don't have the player installed as well as that pesky ActiveX prompt that comes up for people using Windows XP SP2.

My opinion...no sense in possibly limiting the number of people who are able to view your site simple for some scroll bars.

Quote Originally Posted by iguanagirl32
    Personally, I have never had a problem using HTML frames. Unless you plan to make the site more interactive, it makes more sense to do it in HTML. Doing it in Flash will cause problems for people who don't have the player installed as well as that pesky ActiveX prompt that comes up for people using Windows XP SP2.

My opinion...no sense in possibly limiting the number of people who are able to view your site simple for some scroll bars.

Ok - thanks for your input! The only thing is I have to do some of the site in Flash. The top and bottom frames will always be there, but some of the middle sections will need to be in Flash. The guy is into animation. Personally, I think this page (that I had attached) would be much better in Frames but if I'm doing other pages in Flash would it be better to be consistent?

It's not a matter of being consistent. But if you are going to use Flash, make full use if it. There is no point in doing something in Flash that can be done in HTML. Just seems like more work to me than is necessary. So if you have to have some Flash use all flash, but make the most of it. Make it interactive. Use animations, etc.

i agree - i would rather not do something in Flash that I can do in HTML. but do you think it would be weird to have the site set up like this:

Home Page:

TOP & BOTTOM FRAMES, Flash in the center

Other Pages:

Some may be like the home, with Top/Bottom Frames and Flash in the middle
    Others would be Top/Bottom/Left/Right Frames

This seems to me like the easiest - just use Flash were there would be animation on the page, and use HTML for all pages not using Animation. Top and Bottom Frames would be consistent throughout the site...

that sounds fine to me

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

perpetually bored
    ewwwww... frames....