A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you RAW?

oh, sorry misread.

yea, I have no interest in point and shoot anymore.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Am I Raw? I am now... tried it this morning, amazing!

"Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Sorry to be a complete n00b... but how do you import RAW files into photoshop?

I'm trying for the first time at PS tells me that it can't open this file because it's not the right kind of document. What's up with that?

I'm using PS CS and a D70s.

I get the same error message using my D50, no idea what happens.

For that reason - and the fact I don't own new version of Photoshop - I only shoot half of my photos raw, and I use iPhoto to convert to them to JPG for editing.

Do you get the same benefits using iPhoto?

I imported the RAW file into Lightroom but I could see any way of editing it more than normal.

Glad this old thread came up. I just got CS2 and it will open RAW's from my D30.

But, I can't figure out how to change [whatever it is I need to change] in it, to use one RAW to produce 3 or even 7 jpg's for HDR in Photomatix.

Any pointers?

Littlematt, maybe this will help. I also answered my own question above.

Here's some screenshots of the RAW filetypes you can open. And I just use the File/Open menu to get there. You probably already knew that.

Once the RAW is open, you see this screen in CS, and just use the "Exposure" slider to change the exposure to whatever you want. When you save out a series of jpg's, you can import them to Photomatix for HDR. and I can see, I will prolly be shooting many more RAW's now with my camera.

Go to adobe.com there should be a RAW update you can download for free that will allow you to open newer RAW files.

Maybe that's why mine shows a lot of RAW formats. As soon as I installed CS, it went to do an auto update?

Quote Originally Posted by aversion
    Go to adobe.com there should be a RAW update you can download for free that will allow you to open newer RAW files.
    Thanks Miles - I never even thought of that!

Any Photoshop CS2 users looking for the update: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html, a little way down, Camera Raw 3.4

CS or previous users: for Mac http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...form=Macintosh and for Windows http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

However, much to my annoyance, if you have a Nikon D50, you have to use Photoshop CS2, not CS.

Last edited by asheep_uk; 08-26-2006 at 01:11 PM.

the only new files extensions I can find on adobe.com that support the D70s are for CS2 - and the new file for CS supports the D70... not the "s"...

How annoying!

Apparently you can use the Adobe "DNG 3.2 converter to convert your raw files to DNG files" and then use them in CS I presume?

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

Playing with it now...

That did it!

Cheers guys

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer

Once the RAW is open, you see this screen in CS, and just use the "Exposure" slider to change the exposure to whatever you want. When you save out a series of jpg's, you can import them to Photomatix for HDR. and I can see, I will prolly be shooting many more RAW's now with my camera.

Why the hell didn't I start using this ages ago!

What version of the Camera Raw plug-in and Adobe DNG Converter are you using?

I'm using Camera Raw 2.0 and DNG Converter 3.4. The Converter works with D50 files, but Photoshop CS then says "Could not complete...not the right kind of document" when I open a DNG file.

Once the RAW is open, you see this screen in CS
    Well, maybe I misspoke, I actually have CS-2. I thought they were all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by asheep_uk
    What version of the Camera Raw plug-in and Adobe DNG Converter are you using?

I'm using Camera Raw 2.0 and DNG Converter 3.4. The Converter works with D50 files, but Photoshop CS then says "Could not complete...not the right kind of document" when I open a DNG file.

I'm using the Camera Raw you linked to, and DNG 3.4... I convert and when I drag the file into PS I get the same screen that Ask The Geeza showed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    Well, maybe I misspoke, I actually have CS-2. I thought they were all the same.
    Yeah it looks the same in CS.

Quote Originally Posted by littleMatt
    I'm using the Camera Raw you linked to, and DNG 3.4... I convert and when I drag the file into PS I get the same screen that Ask The Geeza showed.
    Boy do I feel stupid. First I forget you can update software, then I don't even follow my own link.

All working - thanks guys