A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SuperSize My Wallet

SuperSize My Wallet

In "Super Size Me," Spurlock consumes more than 5,000 calories a day at McDonald's -- twice the level necessary to maintain his weight -- for 30 days straight. He eats the daily equivalent of NINE Big Macs every day. That's three at breakfast, three at lunch and three at dinner. Or 18 hamburgers. And he doesn't exercise. The result: He gains 24 pounds and feels miserable. Duh!

He could have eaten 5,000 calories at the best health-food restaurant in New York and suffered the same consequences.

He sends a terrible message to America: Obesity is not your responsibility. It's the fault of greedy corporations.

Don't forget that Spurlock's old TV show, "I Bet You Will," paid contestants money to performing disgusting culinary acts like eating live cockroaches. Here, it's Spurlock who gets paid.

Spurlock believes that moviegoers are dumb enough to think that it's McDonald's that made him fat -- rather than the amount of food he consumed and his slothful habits.
    http://www.techcentralstation.com/052704G.html
    http://www.mcles.com/

My only question: Why did they need so long to find a (completly idiotic) reason why the message of the movie was false?

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    He could have eaten 5,000 calories at the best health-food restaurant in New York and suffered the same consequences.
    It would be difficult to get that amount of calories, not to mention the saturated fats, at the best health food restuarant in new york.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    yes the point of the movie was that he was eatting the McDee "meals" and in those "meals" were 5000 calories. The point IS that there are 5000 calories in their food. It'd would be hard to eat that many calories at "the best health food restuarant" as you'd be full way before you reached that limit.

He used Mcdonalds for familiarity - who hasn't eaten there. Plus, had to create controversy & publicity = profit) Would you have seen the movie if it had been about Blimpie?

Half of the movie was about the "brand" of mcdonalds not the food. The marketing and locations of the stores. How they push food "sizes" It's all marketing and quite a good job when you break it down, like he did.

In the end, it's about money. He made LOTS of it.
    Last edited by asun2art; 06-16-2005 at 07:22 PM.

I bet the next million dollar documentry will be about Starbucks. Just wait......

"Coffee shop event horizon"

(although we are already moving towards a gasoline event horizon...

Quote Originally Posted by asun2art
    Half of the movie was about the "brand" of mcdonalds not the food. The marketing and locations of the stores. How they push food "sizes" It's all marketing and quite a good job when you break it down, like he did.
    ever read Fast Food Nation?

ihoss.com
    "Coffee shop event horizon"

(although we are already moving towards a gasoline event horizon...
    hey now, don't be talking all crazy and scary about my fuel or my cars fuel.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    It would be difficult to get that amount of calories, not to mention the saturated fats, at the best health food restuarant in new york.
    Yes. It would be difficult to get that many calories from those resteraunts. Just like it was difficult for him to eat that much at McDonalds. The results would be the same and both are absurd conditions. They both prove that if you purposely abuse your body, you will become sick. So what?

I think he clearly blames McDonalds for the excessive calories that consumers CHOOSE to eat. I just have a peeve about victim mentality. Especially when it's being used to make a profit. People need to start taking more responsibility for themselves and stop blaming others.
    Last edited by indivision; 06-17-2005 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Subway
    My only question: Why did they need so long to find a (completly idiotic) reason why the message of the movie was false?
    Who is "they"?

The guy in the article is a school teacher. The kids in his class held him to test the idea. He tried the same experiment but didn't exagherate the results by over-eating and stopping exercize. He lost weight and his blood content improved.

Last edited by Naked inc.; 06-20-2005 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked inc.
    build your body and mind at will.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by indivision
    I think he clearly blames McDonalds for the excessive calories that consumers CHOOSE to eat. I just have a peeve about victim mentality. Especially when it's being used to make a profit. People need to start taking more responsibility for themselves and stop blaming others.
    while I agree with your sentiment(hell I defend the tobacco industry), I do believe McDonalds is some nasty ass food.

if anyone reads fast food nation they will not like fast food anymore.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

but by going after mcdonalds it caused a ripple effect that is fruit and salads and fruit salads and any other combination using fruit and salads that i didnt mention starting to pop up in most fast food chains.

people took notice.

this movie was pretty much farenhiet 9/11 but instead of george bush it was mcdonalds. spread the hate.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

mcd's had fruity things before supersize me. Wendy's has had salads for a while.

I think supesize was riding the wave more than causing the wave.

I finally started working out again...

It's really hard getting to the gym though while Grimace follows me in a Hummer with Ronald hanging out the window shooting at me as they try and bash my car into the McDonalds drive-thru.
    Last edited by admedia; 06-17-2005 at 12:14 PM.

and the hambugerlar stealing all my quaker oat meal...
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    It's really hard getting to the gym though with Grimace following me in a Hummer with Ronald hanging out the window shooting at me as they try and bash my car into the McDonalds drive-thru.
    I'm suprised those colorfull characters didn't hook you in as a small child and pschologically chain you to big macs for life.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    while I agree with your sentiment(hell I defend the tobacco industry), I do believe McDonalds is some nasty ass food.
    lol. that is for certain!