A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: MS is developing a P2P application!

MS is developing a P2P application!

http://slashdot.org/articles/05/06/1...tid=109&tid=95

Haha, now someone should tell MS that not everything that is popular should be copied, especialy if it something mostly uses for ilegal activities.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

wow. a MS bash. how original.

yay.

well, think of the irony. the most likely thing to be used via P2P is a copy of their software... sorta fitting, imho.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

OR they are making one so they can monitor what is being pirated
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I'd set up a box just to share their stuff if that's the case.

i would rather use bittorent than that thing. Bill whats-his face is rich enough. i heard hes so rich that if he found $1,000 on the ground it would be like finding half a penny to us.

Quote Originally Posted by SK79
    i would rather use bittorent than that thing. Bill whats-his face is rich enough. i heard hes so rich that if he found $1,000 on the ground it would be like finding half a penny to us.
    It would be far less than half a penny compared to most of us.

It could be interesting to see what happens to P2P when challenging its legality means facing the MS lawyer fleet.

i read a while ago the BBC were going to provide a bit torrent system for downloading TV programs shown up to a week previously (sorry i looked but couldn't find a link).
    i imagine that all of the uk tv channels will follow suit, a great idea in my opinion, tv and the internet are moving closer to each other. when high bandwidth (20+ meg a sec?) are the norm, i think all tv will be net based.

Quote Originally Posted by darkstar
    i read a while ago the BBC were going to provide a bit torrent system for downloading TV programs shown up to a week previously (sorry i looked but couldn't find a link).
    i imagine that all of the uk tv channels will follow suit, a great idea in my opinion, tv and the internet are moving closer to each other. when high bandwidth (20+ meg a sec?) are the norm, i think all tv will be net based.
    Close, but not quite... The BBC WERE TRIALING a bittorrent based system for SOME programmes.

They could not guarantee that the programmes were going to licence payers in the UK, so it was stopped and I doubt it will ever return.

I think a paid version of this isn't far away though!

M

Quote Originally Posted by SK79

what a load of crap. if he found $1000 it would be $1000(i get what you are trying to say) but just because you are all jealous that he is a billionaire because he grew up in the right era of computers and their growth and had a plan doesn't mean you have to bash him al the time.

does everyone forget about the billions in charities his gives away?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by Markp.com
    They could not guarantee that the programmes were going to licence payers in the UK, so it was stopped and I doubt it will ever return.
    Please explain, while I pay my outrageous cable bill.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

<! FlaSHy -->
    Microsoft is coming up with everything now, something competitive for PDF's, Photoshop, and now bittorrent. And don't forget their ITunes copy project. Hilarious how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Poonz
    Microsoft is coming up with everything now, something competitive for PDF's, Photoshop, and now bittorrent. And don't forget their ITunes copy project. Hilarious how they work.
    And with every new "copy-app", they remove one more feature from longhorn it seems.

Fredi

Quote Originally Posted by Markp.com
    I think a paid version of this isn't far away though!
    Have a look: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7537

Fredi

Wavelet compression

The compression technique employed by Dirac also sets it apart from existing algorithms. It uses wavelet compression instead of discrete cosine transform-based compression (DCT), the most commonly employed method. DCT coding breaks individual video frames into a mosaic of small blocks, like a chess board, and looks for differences as the scene changes and people on screen move.

Dirac, instead, scans an entire picture horizontally and vertically, and splits the result into low and high frequencies. The low frequencies represent a blurry, general impression of the original picture while the high frequencies convey detail such as edges.

The codec then scans both backwards and forwards in time for differences in these frequencies as the scene changes and removes superfluous data. This provides more graceful image degradation, meaning data loss is less likely to reduce overall quality of the video picture.

The finished system will be officially unveiled at the International Broadcast Convention in Amsterdam on 8 September and should be ready for general release before the end of the 2005, developers say.
    Very flaming interesting!!!

Although I'll only belive it when I see it and I'm downloading BBC programmes to my HD

Last edited by Naked inc.; 06-20-2005 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked inc.
    MS is not... bill!
    apple is not... steve!
    linux is not... linus!

have issues?
    failure resolves to you when you blame someone else.
    I have issues with Miyamoto Musashi. Solve that.

Last edited by Naked inc.; 06-20-2005 at 09:37 PM.

What the ...?! I did'nt think that's possible, but you still get crazyer each day ... I wonder where that ends. You know, there can only be two options and currently you're directly heading to the not so good one. Take care.

Fredi