A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Making a Flash Beat-em Up game

Making a Flash Beat-em Up game

Hello I am not new to flash from a graphic standpoint, but I would like to do more than just make art and simple websites. I want to make my own beat-em up game in a style like the old games for SNES like Final Fight and Streets of rage for the genesis. Or maybe old style fighters like Mortal Kombat 2 or Street Fighter. Is there any website where I can learn how to do this type of thing? Is all the code done in flash? I don't even know where to begin so a website with easy instuctions would be very helpful. Thanks.

I would check the knowledgebase, the top thread in the forum, lots of great links to tutorials and the like.

Before making something like that(Which I consider to be pretty complicated), start with easier things(in my opinion) like tic-tac-toe, pong and the like. Each teaches you a vaulable lessons, and one becomes a better actionscripter everytime...Plus you got a new game .

You might also wanna talk to marmotte or maybe kendude(and that other guy who had that spawn enemy fighting engine, can't remember the name) about fight engines. I believe they all have one...

Hope that Helps!

I'm working on one now.. I'll keep everyone informed on the progress...

marmotte has done an open-source version, i believe. you might find the link when searching for it.

and there is an open-source remake of "ik+", beats me who has done it, but the link is posted here, too. (somewhere)

<olli/>

Quote Originally Posted by nGFX
    marmotte has done an open-source version, i believe. you might find the link when searching for it.

and there is an open-source remake of "ik+", beats me who has done it, but the link is posted here, too. (somewhere)

<olli/>
    What is ik+ ?

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar

Play - Live - Work - Enjoy

IK++ remake is here, with full sourcecode:

http://ant.simianzombie.com/games/ik/ik.php

Hope you find this useful.