A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Filters and such...

Filters and such...

Good evening everybody, i'm saving for a 20D right now and was just wondering what filters you all use (if any)?

I really fancy getting back to basics but with the practicality of digital (I've done traditional processing so I appretiate the ease )

EVP, can I fit really old manual focus lenses to the 20D? I don't know how threads work etc.

Cheers, Robb.
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

I always have a UV filter on my lens. I pretty much just have it there to protect the lens from scratches. Much cheaper repair then:P.

As far as the lens on the D20, i think you might be ok as long as it is still canon. You will probably also lose any functions like focus (not a problem in your case i guess) and apature ajustment, cuz i would doubt your lens has the chip on it? Some lenses have all that on the lens though, in which case i think you would be good to go. But im not sure.
    "A piece of toast always lands butter side down, and a cat always lands of its feet. If one was to tie a piece of toast to the back of a cat butter side up, would it hover above the ground in perpetual indecision?"

I'm really looking forward to using some more traditional techniques!

Having a UV filter on all the time makes sense I s'pose my girlfriend's always taking my G5 out on the piss (drinking) so it needs all the protection it can get!

I looked into buying a wide angle convertor for my G5 in Times Square but it came to about $300 for the adaptor and lens so I thought I'd hold out for a 20D!

as far as filters
    I use a polarizer, w/ uv.
    As far as the rest of them why bother. Most of the drama that one uses a color filter for can be recreated easily in any image editor.

Yeh, but there's nothing like the anticipation of seeing how a photo taken with a filter will turn out when processing...

I'm sick of just taking shots and relying on PS, using traditional techniques adds a new(old) level of skill to photography...

Yea, I say get it done in the camera when you can... it saves time.

Also the results are often better, depending on your PS skills.

cheesecake
    The three most important filters that I use are Polarizer's, ND's and my trusty red filter for B&W.

I completely agree with RobM and admedia, sre you can achieve filter effects quite easily in photoshop but having the filter on your camera is something different.

Registered pseudo intellectual
    I have a UV, polarizer, and some linear gradients. I think I've got 2 or 3 neutral density filters as well.

The G5 seems to have a switchable ND Filter built in, I have taken some test shots and I cannot see for the life of me what difference it makes! Anyone know how to explain it?
    Last edited by robbmcaulay; 06-20-2005 at 02:14 PM. Reason: I typed 'switachable' :D

cheesecake
    Neutral Density's are used to control aperture(more specifically to cut stops) for example say your light meter is reading f8 but you want the depth of field offered with f5.6.

You'd throw an ND .3 in front of your lens to cut a stop so f5.6 would be the correct exposure (of course correct exposure is subjective but that debate isn't neccesary for this example). Basically the filter is completely neutral and doesn't drastically affect things like contrast and tonal range but justs controls the amount of light let in through the lens.

ND .3 - cuts one stop
    ND .6 - cuts two stops
    ND .9 - cuts three stops
    etc...
    Last edited by icculus22; 06-20-2005 at 02:29 PM.

cheesecake
    also concerning your question about manual focus lenses fitting onto the 20: it won't most digiSLR's are only backwards compatible with AF lenses (you can still focus manually but they ave to have the built in mechanism for AF)

Ah, I see about the ND, I was trying it on day light landscape shots, that's why I wouldn't see a difference!

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robbmcaulay
    EVP, can I fit really old manual focus lenses to the 20D? I don't know how threads work etc.
    Sorry, no threads for EF-S or EOS lenses or the EF mounting system. It is more like a camlock type system (see cutaway image). Fit the fins in the body and rotate 1/4 turn to lock.