A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Restarts

Random Restarts

I think i made a thread about this a while ago but i cannot find the thread for the replies.

anyways, my girlfriends computer randomly restarts ALL the time i will be surprised if i can even finish typing this. she is running XP with service pack 2 and she doesn't install anything really stupid that might have messed anything up. if there is a hardware conflict or anything could service pack 2 be the culprit? and if so in the add/remove programs i see service pack 2 on the list...can i just get rid of it by going through that?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    service pack 2
    Bam!

I've only heard bad things about service pack 2 so I wouldn't be suprised if it was the problem...

Also, check for overheating and power problems?
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

even if it is off and she turns it on after it has been off like all night it will still boot up and restart right away...extremely annoying

so with the add/remove programs i can just get rid of SP2 i thought was SP2 was installed it was a hassle to get rid of it? this seems too easy
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Nah, I think MS knew it would mess up certain things so they made it easy to remove...

Just backup and go for it

haha backup...not my computer!

well just removed it and it took forever and as soon as i restarted and windows was loading back up and it restarted SO i don't think that solved anything...and she only has a non working cd burner so i can't even back up and reformat....oh well

You Make Me Want To La La
    ok, well it could be alot of things. We can probably rule out CPU and Mem cause she's not overclocking it. Although it wouldn't hurt to run memtest86(google it) off a boot disk for a few hours, it it holds that long. It may also be her PSU, frequent crashes are are a sign of a dieing power supply unit. If you trust yourself enough, open up your computer or any other, and remove the PSU, and put it in her's, if it doesn't crash them she need to buy a new PSU, they're fairly inexpensive off of Newegg.com .

Its also quite possible that its software and caused by a virus or spyware.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    ...my girlfriends computer randomly restarts ALL the time...
    I love how everyone IMMEDIATELY blames SP2. If it were THAT bad, you'd hear NOTHING but horror stories. I've not had any problems with SP2 on any PC I own yet.

Now, back to the problem at hand. Do you have Speedfan installed? If so, try and monitor the CPU temps/HD temps/MOBO temps, etc. Also, open up the box, and clean out all the dust bunnies from the case (especially the fans). Don't forget, it is summer, and the ambient temps are higher in the room you are in, so the air "cooling" the CPU might just be cooking it instead.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Check and see if all the fans are running properly. Sometimes the easiest solution is the right one. If you see her CPU temp at like 70 Celsius, then you've found the problem. Also, you should monitor the temp up until the point when the pc reboots itself. Usually, the mobo has a built in mechanism to shut itself down when temps are too high.

At worse, it could be a fried mobo as well.

RH
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21
    If it were THAT bad, you'd hear NOTHING but horror stories.
    I have one.

But yea... I'd listen to RH before any suggestions I might have.

Last edited by Naked inc.; 06-20-2005 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    I have one.
    Yes - lots do. Lots more don't.

RH
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

I have one also.

And I haven't got it installed to this day. And WannaBe_80z, I get random restarts also. Not as bad as you describe, but it happens, right in the middle of something, or when I'm not even using the PC. I'd say it's happened about 6 times this year, so far. Further, everyone I know with XP Pro has also had it happen to them, to varying degrees.

It's obviously a bug of some sort. The only thing we all had in common, those I've asked, is we all had Flash MX installed, and possibly other programs, but I knw we all have flash.

I'd love to know the fix.

You checked its not a virus?

There were a spate of virii last year that constantly reset computers.

Right click on My Computer, click manage, look through the error log jobby things there ot see if there are any warnings that will let you know whats up.

are you sure there are no error messages via the event log? right click my computer > manage > expand the event view, look at the application and system logs for errors.

if anything, it sounds like some bad RAM. just ran across some other friend of mine that had problems... just a thought.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I experienced similar thing few months back. It was my PSU.

Many possibilities...

Graphics card can SO be the problem.

But, I'd say listen up for any "beeps" or anything during start up. Some of the older motherboards used to make little beeps in a set sequence that actually meant something. Mine beeped three times when it wanted to tell me that RAM wasnt plugged in properly.

Quote Originally Posted by robbmcaulay

Hahaha... who you gunna call? Dunno... depends which page in the phone book I open!

My solution: dump her

Registered pseudo intellectual
    I also suggest running memtest86. Then you should be able to figure out if this is a hardware problem or a software problem.