A Flash Developer Resource Site

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest American?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • George Washington

4 18.18%
  • Abraham Lincoln

2 9.09%
  • Martin Luther King

9 40.91%
  • Ronald Reagan

0 0%
  • Benjamin Franklin

7 31.82%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatest American List Revisited

Greatest American List Revisited

The top 50 was a pretty wierd list. But, the top 5 seems reasonable to me. What is the FK result?

MLK, no doubt.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Ditto

I voted Abraham Lincoln.
    hello.

Señor member
    George Foreman, that grill is awesome.
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

franklin did more for this country and the world than anyone on that list...

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

They all had issues! But at least Ben Franklin contributed something substantial to the world other than running his mouth off in politics or trying to get half the country killed!

Now I wonder why Bush Boy is not in that list?
    Palette Masters design
    Oentsjerk Netherlands
    http://www.pittypattermarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by jamble
    true dat.

Oxymoron?

Quote Originally Posted by jamble
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha genius!

Thomas Jefferson?

It's too hard to pick out just one person.
    This country is great because of the contributions of many.
    whole > sum of parts

sophisticated
    excuse me for being... erm... well, stupid,
    but what's with the MLK? What has he done?

He was a preacher, he got killed...
    or maybe I'm missing something

Wow, I'm Englishski and even I know the answer to that one!

Englishski?? ROTFL!! Oh my goodness!

Here Mecha..... http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/mlk/king/timeline.html a quick run through of MLK. Basically, he was well educated and a good public speaker, so he was able to gain notoriety for himself and his cause...... civil rights. Nothing spectacular my opinion.
    Palette Masters design
    Oentsjerk Netherlands
    http://www.pittypattermarket.com

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MechaPiano
    excuse me for being... erm... well, stupid,
    but what's with the MLK? What has he done?

He was a preacher, he got killed...
    or maybe I'm missing something
    he symbolized the civil rights movement, but true to your statement he was actually a smaller player.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    he symbolized the civil rights movement, but true to your statement he was actually a smaller player.
    Martyred by the assassination, the myth outgrew the man.

Still, both in life and in death, MLK played a pivotal role in the advancement of the civil rights movement and he deserves to be remembered for that.

But out of the options, I'd have to choose Lincoln.

George Foreman, ha ha ha ha
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

he did more than symbolize civil rights. he was instrumental in ending segregation and moving Kennedy to initiate the Civil Rights Act. And he did it all through peaceful demonstrations where as others had tried and fail through violent action.

Thomas Jefferson didn't make the short list. Probably because of the recent spotlight on his slave ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by MsPamela
    They all had issues! But at least Ben Franklin contributed something substantial to the world other than running his mouth off in politics or trying to get half the country killed!

Now I wonder why Bush Boy is not in that list?
    Ben Franklin was also quite a politician. But, anyway, which of these people was running his mouth off or trying to get the country killed? If they do the show again in 5 or so years, Bush will probably be on the list.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by indivision
    he did more than symbolize civil rights. he was instrumental in ending segregation and moving Kennedy to initiate the Civil Rights Act. And he did it all through peaceful demonstrations where as others had tried and fail through violent action.
    I don't know If i would say others tried and failed. They certainly added to the atmosphere. I would have to put thurgood marshall ahead of MLK in terms of civil rights action.
    Thomas Jefferson didn't make the short list. Probably because of the recent spotlight on his slave ownership.
    so why is washington on there? I think franklin briefly owned a slave or 2? True both washington and franklin (if he owned slaves) freed them, while jefferson went on to determine africans to be a sub species, I think you have to view each of these men in the light of their times. Reagan at the time can be considered a great american, however knowing what we now know of the soviet union in the 80s is he still that great? Climbing into bed with future terrorists and snuggling up to apartied soft africa all to bring the soviet union to it's knees?
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

yea old GW had slaves too, however he only beat them once a week so that's why he's up there and not TJ.

I don't give George Foreman much credit for the grill. First because it wasn't even his idea, it's just his name attached. Secondly, it makes hamburgers very dry. Thrid because he named all 6 of his kids George and theres just something wrong with that.

I contend that Hugh Heffner is the greatest American. He almost 80 and walks around his mansion in a bath robe surrounded by hundreds of naked women. How great is that seriously.

I don't know If i would say others tried and failed. They certainly added to the atmosphere. I would have to put thurgood marshall ahead of MLK in terms of civil rights action.
    Many were involved in the end of segregation. But, for a time, the wheels of the movement were spinning, largely because of a backlash against violent actions. MLK was the one who stepped forward and changed the nature of the movement. Obviously at incredible risk to himself and his family. Thurgood was instrumental in the legal process and is commendable but I don't think he compares at all in areas of influence, challenges overcome or articulation of a movement. King did all of this up to the age of 39 when he was assassinated. He was the youngest person to date to recieve the nobel peace award (back when it meant something).

http://www.moreorless.au.com/heroes/king.htm

so why is washington on there? I think franklin briefly owned a slave or 2? True both washington and franklin (if he owned slaves) freed them, while jefferson went on to determine africans to be a sub species, I think you have to view each of these men in the light of their times. Reagan at the time can be considered a great american, however knowing what we now know of the soviet union in the 80s is he still that great? Climbing into bed with future terrorists and snuggling up to apartied soft africa all to bring the soviet union to it's knees?
    I think Washington is there because he set in motion an American system that was capable of bettering itself and changing over time. He refused to be the King (not MLK ). I don't follow what you mean about Reagan and the soviet union in the 80's. But, I agree about judging in the context of the times.