6 27.27%
  • I have a DVD burner, and I would like to learn to author DVDs for TV

2 9.09%
  • I have a DVD burner but only use it for storage & backup purposes

11 50.00%
  • No, I still don't have a DVD burner

3 13.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD burners...who's got them and uses them?

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.

DVD burners...who's got them and uses them?

Just trying to get some idea how much interest there is in authoring and burning DVDs now that so many systems seem to come standard with DVD burning facilities.

Who is making DVDs for TV? ...anybody?

davidp.
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

sophisticated
    what do you mean "making DVDs for TV"? if it's making a video DVD, then count me in (but I went with "I have a DVD burner but only use it for storage & backup purposes" just in case).

Um, you can't really admit to that here, can you?

I mean unless your making and sharing pr0n with the neighbors.

In that case, I checked the wrong button in the poll.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by MechaPiano
    what do you mean "making DVDs for TV"? if it's making a video DVD, then count me in (but I went with "I have a DVD burner but only use it for storage & backup purposes" just in case).
    Yes, that is what I meant, making video DVD.

Like you see with DVD movies, with menu structures controllable from your DVD player remote.

david

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by iaskwhy

Um, you can't really admit to that here, can you?

I mean unless your making and sharing pr0n with the neighbors.

In that case, I checked the wrong button in the poll.
    sure, if it is my content, my video productions, my image slideshows, etc.

I am making a production that I can send to my computer illiterate aunt, that she can put into her DVD player and navigate using the remote...she knows how to do that.

It has a couple of short video productions and a couple of slide shows.

david

sophisticated
    Quote Originally Posted by david petley
    Like you see with DVD movies, with menu structures controllable from your DVD player remote.
    yeah I do that. There are some movies I can only get through the net [and it's not pr0n], so I make these video DVDs for me and my friends [with menus, background animation, animated buttons, etc].

I've done quite a few. But I'm using the software that came with the DVD burner, and it's got the lamest excuse for a menu builder you can imagine. I just haven't got the time to get into it further right now, but I'd love to know more about menu's and how to control them.

I think there are some options to use my own made images for the menu screen, but that's about my limit right now. I haven't tried it.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by iaskwhy
    I've done quite a few. But I'm using the software that came with the DVD burner, and it's got the lamest excuse for a menu builder you can imagine. I just haven't got the time to get into it further right now, but I'd love to know more about menu's and how to control them.

I think there are some options to use my own made images for the menu screen, but that's about my limit right now. I haven't tried it.
    I am currently trialling Ulead DVD movie factory 4 (4th day) and the menu creation seems pretty understandable, they have even got a few templates you can use and modify.

david

Now, I make a DVD video for a client once a month... for the last 8 months. Usually I author via Anark or via Director.

I also make DVD's for family every now-and-then, but I use Roxio Easy CD Creator that came with my DVD Burner on the PC, and Roxio Toast on the Mac.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I checked the I have a DVD burner but only use it for storage & backup purposes box but I use my DVD burner for alot more than that!

I make POS (Point Of Sale) DVD's for a small chain of pubs, they have plasma screens behind their bars advertising drink and food promotions, I make on average 3 a month for them, I back up all of my critical data once a week onto DVD, I store RAW data files from my 12 Megapixel camera on DVD, my CV is on a DVD (Lots of video in a web interface) and I burn <cough>Home Movie</cough> onto DVD too.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_smithers
    I make POS (Point Of Sale) DVD's for a small chain of pubs.
    I am curious. How do you market that type of service?

I checked backup and storage.
    The only application I have used my dvd burner is putting extremely large graphics on for clients/printers and occasional back up.

I wish I could use Flash to make a DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    I am curious. How do you market that type of service?
    Before getting into IT I used to be a chef, I worked for Greeneking Pub company PLC all over the country for their Hungry Horse chain and was sort of their area chef in Bristol. Through doing this I know lots and lots of managers for pubs.

So one day I had a great idea for POS material and showed a demo to a few friends the next thing I knew I purchased 7 LCD screens and 7 DVD players which I rent to them on a monthly contract and everytime they need a new DVD to air I charge them £50 a pop.

My next adventure is to pay pubs to have my screens!!!! they get 20% of the DVD to promote themselves and the other 80% is sold to local businesses.

That's brilliant!

Do you go to the pubs with a laptop or something to show them the concept?
    I guess you probably already answered by saying you already know the managers, so you might not even need much of a pitch tool.

They pritty much leave it up to me, for one of the pubs I also design their menus so I make the DVD's in the same colour scheeme as the menu.

I have got two other jobs through haveing these screen too, because on all of the DVD's it says Design by ComputerModding.co.uk and I also have stickers on the screens saying supplied by ComputerModding.co.uk so its also a great medium for getting additional work :-)

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    I checked the I have a DVD burner but only use it for storage & backup purposes box but I use my DVD burner for alot more than that!

I make POS (Point Of Sale) DVD's for a small chain of pubs, they have plasma screens behind their bars advertising drink and food promotions, I make on average 3 a month for them, I back up all of my critical data once a week onto DVD, I store RAW data files from my 12 Megapixel camera on DVD, my CV is on a DVD (Lots of video in a web interface) and I burn <cough>Home Movie</cough> onto DVD too.
    nice one ....you sound like you have explored the medium a bit. Are the DVD's you make basically slideshows, or do they get more complex, with menus and user control from DVD remote?

What applications do you use (if you don't mind saying)?

I have looked at a few different softwares, and they all seem pretty kaka at making menus for DVD control and navigation.

david

My next adventure is to pay pubs to have my screens!!!! they get 20% of the DVD to promote themselves and the other 80% is sold to local businesses.
    I know a guy who is already doing this in clubs and high class venues across England (he charges alot more than £50 though!)

I author all kind of DVDs backup, video and otherwise... I also record TV programmes on my computer, so when I want to watch them downstairs on the "big" TV I have to burn them in a format the very old DVD player can understand...

Quote Originally Posted by david petley
    nice one ....you sound like you have explored the medium a bit. Are the DVD's you make basically slideshows, or do they get more complex, with menus and user control from DVD remote?

What applications do you use (if you don't mind saying)?
    david
    I have three menus on the DVD's one for lunch time, one for afternoon and evening and one for weekend evenings. The one for the weekends are just beer promotions with lots of visual effects and moving images etc and the others are more of food promotions and somber looking.

To make them I use a veriety of programmes from 3D Studio Max, Windows Movie Maker, Flash MX, Adobe PhotoShop, Cinema 4D and the custom Sony DVD writing software too.

I have found that Windows Movie Maker is adiquite for what I need but I am looking into some more professional stuff at the moment.

Does Windows Movie Maker allow you to make the DVD menus?

Adobe Encore looks pretty good for me anyways for using Photoshop to make menus.

Hopefully the Adobe/Macromedia thing means better tools like this bundled with Flash/Photshop.

No I use WMM just to splice the differant bits and bobs from other programmes together like the export from flash and the export from 3D Studio Max, I use the Sony softwars that came with my laptop to make the menus.

David,

If your looking for an authority ,,,,,Bill is the man aka bigbadbill.
    It's a good portion of his livelyhood professional audio/video production for
    the music industry.