A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Websites alienate Firefox users

I think firefox is a much more popular choice than a lot of people realise, for example a quick glance at my websites stats shows that almost 50% of the visitors came with a non-firefox browser, and of those 39.5% used firefox...

http://www.nedstatbasic.net/s?tab=1&link=5&id=2504624

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_smithers
    I install FireFox as befault and a backdoor trojan on all the machines I fix for my customes without asking them first and then I search their harddrive for any banking and personal information.
    Quote Originally Posted by iaskwhy
    How many repeat customers do you get? Someone did that to me, I'd kick their *ss!

I'm beginning to think you guys across the pond have a completely different definition of the word "ethics".
    Wow!
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

I install FireFox as befault on all machines I fix for my customes without asking them first
    personally i think that is extremely bad practice.
    your average user is not going to update firefox, so in 6 months time (for arguments sake) he/she has a vulnerable browser.
    ie may be the worst culprit for security but on an up to date pc running xp2
    on dafault settings m$ informs you of security updates etc.
    if you are going to install firefox on your customers computers it may be a good idea to inform them about updates and fixes etc.
    also, if they come across a site that used to work before and doesn't now they are going to be a little confused to say the least, so it may be in idea to inform them about browser differences, and inform them that ie should be used on sites that don't work with firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by darkstar
    it may be in idea to inform them about browser differences, and inform them that ie should be used on sites that don't work with firefox.
    Already done that one I even have an entire section on my customer support forum about all browsers and rendering and browser support sites etc etc etc

I don't think one of my customers is a total dummey when it comes to things like this at the end of the day they run their own companies!!

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    I install FireFox as befault on all machines I fix for my customes without asking them first and all I get back in reply is ohh the browser thingy looks differant.
    Already done that one I even have an entire section on my customer support forum about all browsers and rendering and browser support sites etc etc etc

I don't think one of my customers is a total dummey when it comes to things like this at the end of the day they run their own companies!!
    Hmmm. It appears that these two people are telling two different stories.
    I'm not sure which one of them I believe.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

Quote Originally Posted by random10122
    I think firefox is a much more popular choice than a lot of people realise, for example a quick glance at my websites stats shows that almost 50% of the visitors came with a non-firefox browser, and of those 39.5% used firefox...

i want that...
    Artificial Memories v0.9.2b
    "Preserving life's precious moments and making new ones"
    © 2009 MemoryCorp - A Walmart company

There are no "just surfers" out there, because everyone is different. Everyone is getting more experienced with computers and a person who started surfing a year ago will know quite a lot by now. He will know how to download and will like the download system in FF, he will try to press other buttons to see what they do and experiment. I use FF for security and for the development options. The main reason is extensions, like beeing able to watch my stocks, the weather and forum updates in the lower corner of the browser or deleting all ads. My mum is sligthtly above the normal user and she just got Skype installed at her office so they can call their offices in other countries. She learns and so does the people who work there, even though they are a lot less techie than she is.

Whats the most popular game in the world and what is the best game in the world according to gamers? solitaire and HL2 Does that mean we should stop producing games, since 90% of the people play solitaire?

Does that mean we should stop producing games, since 90% of the people play solitaire?
    Yes, all gamers should be shot, drawn and quartered.

Not just because they're gamers, but because when they aren't playing games, they're out skateboarding.

Are some of you people just plain retarded? I can't believe some of the ignorance I've read here... and from webdesigners!

For those of you taking the stance that Firefox isn't viable because it "can't get all sites to work" think about this: HTML has a proper syntax and form, a specific set of rules governing how it should be written. With IE, more websites work because IE accepts sloppy code (not using "s for example.) This then makes less experienced designers (or stubborn ones, as appear to be posting in this thread) think that they have created a site with correct html. When a browser like Firefox views the same code, the page breaks, because FF actually requires correct coding. You should be glad that there are browsers out there that actually care about continuity, and even more glad that they are gaining popularity.

If every new browser stooped to IE's level of sloppy code acceptance (or just decided to make up their own rules, as IE has done,) eventually we would have a much bigger mess on our hands than we do now. While it is a pain making sites cross-browser compatible, it's a worthy effort and a necessary effort in working towards a future where, hopefully, all browsers will adhere to the standards and we won't have to worry about different browser compatibility.

Or, you know, you can always keep using sloppy code and further degrading the "standards" until the entire world wide web is a big mess of incompatible broken websites... your choice.

Why are you calling people retarded? You don't seem to get it. Not everyone is a top level coder, in fact, very few of the worlds 6 billion people are even good coders. So I'd say that M$ and my wonderfull Uncle Bill have it all figured out. They built a browser for the masses, and as long as it will read sloppy code, it's going to be the best one out there.

It works out like this. If you build a browser that only works good on perfectly coded web pages, then your going to be like those open sore, er, um, open source Linux types. Too few, too soon.

In fact, I don't code all that great, and all you FF users can just stay the hell off my site if you don't like it.

sophisticated
    The main question is "why do websites alienate Firefox users?". If all reports are true then 5% is a hell lot of unsatisfied costumers. And for some of the sites this percent might be even bigger [or smaller, still]. Why do websites choose to loose costumers? Can anyone really answer that?

It's just that maybe there's something more then just "IE is cool and FF sux".

Skill_Unabletospell_guy skill_guy101's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Subway
    In some years, your fuel will be so expensive that even if there's a fuel station somewhere close to you, you will not have the money to buy it. And then in the not too far future, there will be no fuel at all and hydrogen and electric cars will be the only thing you see driving on the streets.

Fredi
    I dont have enough money to buy fuel. Infact thats a bit of a lie, infact i havent even passed my driving test. ok im gonna start a new thread about my driving test!

So I'd say that M$ and my wonderfull Uncle Bill have it all figured out.
    lol
    I like good music.

And if I make a site that only works in FF, then thats IE's fault then? I'm happy with that

Quote Originally Posted by big_k
    Are some of you people just plain retarded? I can't believe some of the ignorance I've read here... and from webdesigners!

Hey, i might be ignorant but i am retarded

Or, you know, you can always keep using sloppy code and further degrading the "standards" until the entire world wide web is a big mess of incompatible broken websites... your choice.

this is the problem, the entire world wide web is a big mess of incompatible broken websites and firefox wont accept it and neither it seems will its fans, they appear to think that the www should change for them rather than the other way round, some of them even think that the tests are rigged or that they are unlikely choices

anyway whats done cant be turned back and ie 6 is getting old, a lot of web standards now were twinkles then.
    wait to see what ie 7 is like and we can see a proper battle of the browsers,
    not the adolescent vs the old man.
    and watch ie 7 crush firefox.
    mwaha
    hahaaha
    HaAaAAahaahhaa

imagination through stupidity
    Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    The fact that only some sites work with IE ia currently a fact of life.

I just had to use IE to get boarding passes from US Air.

Alot of sites were probably developed before FF was even released.

-
    My webmail only fully works in IE. There was something a few days ago i had to open IE for because it wasn't working in firefox.

Talk about incompatible standards most of the browsers still don't comply with the few standards that are in place. Safari became the first CSS2 compliant browser, who will follow next? I'm still waiting for a standarized javascript DOM. will it ever exist.
    Last edited by Sybersnake; 06-27-2005 at 08:45 AM.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

Allan Jardine
    Wow...
    *Shakes head at whole thread...*

oops

It's a lot smarter to build a browser that reads sloppy code than it is to try and force millions of FrontPage users to learn to code correctly.

nyck-nyck

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by random10122

well clearly different sites are going to have different statistics. While a site geared toward programers or coders will have a much higher ff or non-ie browser views, a standard news site such as bbc or nytimes.com will have, most likely, at the most 10% not using ie.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

If the www had depended solely on perfect code for a browser to view the page, the www would be ranked right beside the Edsel and there'd be 4 or 5 thousand of you effetes out there admiring each others websites while the rest of the world was still sitting on the front porch watching kids play jumprope out in the street.