A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: film

film

Anyone here still shoot with film as their primary method? I know alot of us dabble in film but mainly shoot digital. If you do, what brands do you primarily use? Camera?

(Anyone still shoot with classic cameras? I've been messing around with a '60s Olympus half frame, and a '50s Kodak box camera)
    Last edited by younghistorians; 06-28-2005 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo

My sister has a really nice Nikon, she got it for christmas like 5 years ago, it was almost $1000 at the time. I have no idea what model as she will not let me touch it. She has maybe used it once, but the pictures came out really quite nicely. She is moving to Florida in about a month, so I am pretty sure she is going to forget it, therefore making it mine.

I have several film cameras, 35mm and medium format. The oldest one dates from 1962 and is by far the best one, a Rollei TLR. I use tri-x for BW and either Fuji NPC for colour or provia, depending on whether I want muted or saturated.

You can pick up excellent cameras for next to nothing on ebay. I have a yashica electro gsn rangefinder, made in the 70s, which produces great results, has a super fast lens and can be had for less than $20. Perfect for street shooting in low light.

Cross processing gets fun results but I haven't tried it yet. I shoot digital mainly, it's just so easy. I'm hoping to get a neg scanner at some point, which will make shooting film a lot easier, and cheaper, for me.

You've got me curious about the Yashica; if you recall, I was asking about the Leica M6 a while back. From the 45 minutes of Google research ive done, it looks like it's an awesome camera. Ebay is showing prices, including lenses, for around $20. I think im gonna jump on one.

They say the electro GSN is 90% of the camera at 1% of the price.

I used to use an old Olympus OM-G for film, brilliant shots and 100% reliable!

They don't make 'em like they used to!

I have a Kodak Box Brownie yh, what is yours and what are the shots like? I have some spare 120 film lying around so I might try it out one day...
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Quote Originally Posted by robbmcaulay

I have a Kodak Box Brownie yh, what is yours and what are the shots like? I have some spare 120 film lying around so I might try it out one day...
    It's a Duaflex II. I've shot one roll of 620 film respooled as 120, but haven't had it processed yet.

Looks like you should get some good shots out of it!

that is pretty nice!

Quote Originally Posted by aversion
    They say the electro GSN is 90% of the camera at 1% of the price.

Call it an impulse buy, but ive just bid on an Electro 35...not GSN though. Do you know if the only difference between the GSN and other models is the hotshoe?

Electro GSN? Anyone care to explain?