A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ARTIST SPOTLIGHT :: Loretta Lux

ARTIST SPOTLIGHT :: Loretta Lux

i was exposed to loretta's work a few months ago via a photo zine. i was very intrigued by her images of children, and the thought she has put into each photo is amazing. the palettes she finds are absolutely amazing, not to mention the surreal look of these children.

Loretta Lux makes pictures of children that are as charming as they are creepy—a sweet-and-sour combo that proves surprisingly hard to resist, even if you suspect the work is little more than kitsch of the most sophisticated and unnerving sort. Like Rineke Dijkstra crossed with Margaret Keane, Lux turns ordinary children into alluring aliens—icons of innocence so tainted by experience (or maybe just curdled nostalgia) they already feel antique. Because the work is strangely unmoored in place or time—drifting off into the idyllic past while hinting at a vacuous, sci-fi future—it manages to conflate memory and dread, sweetness and blight, in a dreamscape whose specificity reads as utterly imaginary.

Maybe that's because it is. As with so much contemporary photography, nothing here is quite what it seems. Lux, 34, studied painting in Munich before switching to photography in 1999, but she actually works between the two media and generates the final results by computer. Her images are seamless amalgams of two different photographs—the figure and the background—that she enhances digitally with a program whose tools are probably closer to a retoucher's than a painter's but allow Lux to pursue her original training in a new form. The children, all the sons and daughters of friends, many of whom, Lux says, "remind me of my own childhood or the friends I had when I was little," are photographed against a white wall in a studio. Most of the settings, which include abandoned buildings, grassy fields, and a pebbly beach, begin as photos taken on travels throughout Europe. Whatever the original source, it's reworked in the computer until it has the sublime sheen of reality perfected, telling imperfection and all.
    from her web site

her images demonstrate incredible artistic vision, as well as technical precision.
    but they certainly bring up what will only become more of a hot topic in the world of photography:
    • when does traditional photography end and digital manipulation begin?
    • can these images be considered true photography?
    • how will history view artists like this?

whatever happens, her work is amazing to look at and let the mind wander.
    afterall, that's what art is all about.
    Last edited by nordberg; 06-28-2005 at 03:00 PM.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    bad link Nords...

Quote Originally Posted by EVPohovich
    bad link Nords...
    fixed - sorry about that. i've had something wrong with my firefox all day, as it won't update the address bar with the current URL. i've been sending out bad URLs to people all day! dangerous!

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

she has some pretty nice stuff, not exactly my style, but I can see the talent

i enjoyed her work, very imaginative.

Yes very nice indeed. I personaly love that sort of style. REminds me of my favorite photographer/artist:

http://www.desireedolron.com/

very spooky
    i love em, outstanding palettes

<3
    i love the colour and the lighting, she certainly has a signature style