A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: does anyone here own an iMac?

does anyone here own an iMac?

i am looking to purchase one very soon could you tell me what has been your experience with iMac? i am getting it primarily for film editing, music editing and graphic design. the websites always come in messed up on mac here at work so i guess i will stick with my PC for web design.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

does anyone even come to this part of flashkit???
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

Max it out at 2gb Ram. You'll love it.

cool...i think i'll do that!

agreed. I use mine for web work, and it does fine for me. The newest version of Safari (that comes with Tiger) was a big improvement, but I still think firefox is a little more consistent. Either way, you'll be happy with it. I use mine for print and web design, as well as a little music recording and editing with garageband.

is garageband pretty easy to catch on to? is it like ACID for pc? does it come with the iMac?

I believe the new Imacs are now coming with iLife, the package that contains garageband, though mine did not--I had to buy it. If it does come with it, deffinately try it out before you buy it. I believe LogicPro is Apple's serious recording studio, but I don't know anything about that.

Garageband is really easy to catch on to, but I'm willing to bet you wouldn't be happy with it since you're a music producer. It's designed for people who know music, but don't necessarily know anything about recording. It's very intuitive--I really like it. I play guitar, and I sing some, but I don't currently even have a band--more or less any studio experience. There are a ton of pre-programmed effects and sounds, but it's a little harder to customize those sounds. It's very easy to record tracks on top of each other, adjust the volume, etc. It's just kind of a bare-bones program. I'm just afraid if I reccomend it too highly, you'll be disappointed. Kinda like somebody reccomending Photoshop LT to me as a kickass program.--It's great to take out red-eye, but doesn't cut it for a full-time designer. Hope this helps.

ohhhhhh...okay gotcha, yeah i play guitar and have a workstation keyboard and moreso interested in creating my own music and importing external wave files or using all of my own stuff in conjunction with their preprogrammed loops. i'm gonna get final cu express and that comes with something called "Soundtrack" i wonder if thats any better?

dont know anything about it. good luck.

does anyone know if the DVD ROM on the iMac plays both DVD+R and DVD-R?

yup. It will play and write to both.

imagination through stupidity
    I have a friend who does lots of print work on his iMac, he loves it to death.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

for design jobs and video+big bugets.. mac is the tool.. otherwise get a pc..

I get the impression Soundtrack is more cleanup and editing where as Garageband is consumer level composition.
    I think Logic Pro is the pro end of Garageband, but you should take a look at what you can do with it first before you splash out, it's got quite a good feature set (from my small knowledge of these things).

My cousin writes, records and performs his own stuff and he was saying Garageband is nice for playing around in, but you just don't have the studio level control that you get in Logic, so it depends how far you want to go i suppose.
    Sam

Try out Ableton Live for the Mac for music production.
    Last edited by scottPadgett; 08-05-2005 at 10:36 AM. Reason: mispelled
    :: scott ::