A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: You're All Dream Crushers

There are milions of tutorials about Pong, it's seriously one of the easiest things to learn out there. I hope I'm not crushing your dream by not giving you any sources or whatsoever since google can peform miracles nowadays.

About your source, remove the :Number after the variable declarations, and it'll work. I don't know why though, I just don't prever that way of coding so I removed them and it worked.

Another thing, you're having two codes that add +1 to score. One on the BG, and one on the _root.

~Sph

Insignificant Member Joshman_123's Avatar
    OK, thanks. I'm making progress though
    I have like, a gazillion posts on my other account.

I just started ActionScript. How the hell do you expect me to understand all that ActionScript?
    You asked which game was easiest to start with. As I said, it's one of the easiest real games you can make.

To make a Pong game you don't need to know that much actually:
    - how to move a movie clip (ball) on every frame
    - check if the ball's position is outside of the game area (a couple of simple if-statements)
    - if the ball is outside one of the walls, swap either x or y-direction depending if it's a vertical or horisontal wall
    - how to move a movie clip (paddle) using the mouse (need to know about _xmouse, _ymouse)
    - how to make the ball bounce against the paddle (probably the trickiest part)

Just tackle the problem in small steps:
    1. Make a ball movie clip and make it move.
    2. Add rules to that it bounces agains vertical and horsontal walls
    3. Add a paddle you can move with the mouse
    4. Add collision between the paddle and the ball
    5. Add a score counter

So, you need to know how to run code on each frame, basic variable knowledge and if-statements. Then you need to know about movie clips and their properties (like _x, _y, _xmouse, _ymouse).

Pong is actually not that easy, the collisions between ball and paddle require some math to be known. Games like this one this game I made with the squirrel are quite a bit easier.
    Last edited by Archbob; 07-16-2005 at 02:28 PM.

Razor
    Quote Originally Posted by Archbob
    Pong is actually not that easy, the collisions between ball and paddle require some math to be known. Games like this one this game I made with the squirrel are quite a bit easier.
    The collision between the ball and the paddle is the exact same as the acorns and the squirrel but instead of making the mc dissapear all you have to do is change its direction.

Its not quite the same because you have to calculate the trajectory of which it leaves. For instance a ball hitting the center of a paddle is not the same as a ball hitting the side of a paddle.

Razor
    Quote Originally Posted by Archbob
    Its not quite the same because you have to calculate the trajectory of which it leaves. For instance a ball hitting the center of a paddle is not the same as a ball hitting the side of a paddle.
    In simple pong yes yes it is. And even if you want that thats still pretty easy and theres alot of way of doing it you could find the distance from the center of the paddle and if it y is is greater or less than the paddles y. Or you could have 3 clips that compose the paddle and name them "bottom" "center" and "top" and check for the colision. Its actually very simple.

Proper trajectory only needs to be calculated in complex proper pong examples. The posted link was a simple pong game, and such the trajectories are simple (reversing direction only).

I could make a shopping game! Yay!!

OK, at the moment I'm just learning ActionScript for fun, but I was wondering what kind of career choices it opens up if you know how to ActionScript well... and how much dough it hauls.

I could use my imagination and the ActionScript I already know to make a game. Here's a few examples:
    -SuperClicker (see how many times you can click in a certain time frame)
    -The Shopping Game (try to spend money on different items to end with exactly 0 dollars)
    -Extreme Shopping ("The Shopping Game", but with a TIME LIMIT!)
    -Virtual Bubblewrap (pop bubblewrap... on your computer!)

The last one's already been done but you know.

Lol your in that I want to make fifty games at once stage, weve all been there, happy times.

Id concentrate on one game at first, take the pong game, make a simple version, you will learn collision detection, how to move mcs, keeping score and simple ai etc...

Then take that basic pong game and add to it, make the ai better, make the collision detection more complex, add bonuses that appear to give bonus points and speed up the users paddle, this will teach you the fundamentals of what a game needs and you can take this knowledge and build your 'own' original game.

I like the shopping game idea by the way, you got a working version to show?
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

the usual
    I just started ActionScript. How the hell do you expect me to understand all that ActionScript?
    no-one expects you to understand actionscript instantly. coding isn't difficult, it's all about logic.... i need A to do this, and i want C to do that, but B has to be completed first....

write a list of things you want to happen then start to piece parts of actionscript together, slowly you'll start understanding how to program

I din'r read the whole thread but here's a tip. Improve on your gfx skills and you'll have programers willing to work with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakihara
    I like the shopping game idea by the way, you got a working version to show?
    I made one yesterday, but I didn't save it. I was just joking around with all those little simple games by the way. They are the only types of games I can make from my head at the moment, and a lot of the time I screw them up (mostly in the 'if' function area). I'll give pong a go when I've got more time and brain power.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike83
    I din'r read the whole thread but here's a tip. Improve on your gfx skills and you'll have programers willing to work with you.
    I've decided to learn ActionScript and graphics and make a game myself (eventually).

Thanks guys.

Razor
    If your having trouble with IF statements then you can look at the tutorial or not really a tutorial more of an explanation of different programming concepts, this is what I have done so far mind you I just started 2 days ago and haven't had much time: http://www.imagerage.com/pictures/Kom50543.pdf
    Just scroll down to the IF statement part. And if this doesnt help then you can find lots of stuff on them with a google search else if this does help then glad to do my part(haha can you find the lame joke in that last part?)

lol, yeah good one.

Banned
    Hey JoshMan you said you lookin for an action scripter well ill do all i can to help but im only an apprentice my self.

How much do you know?

Banned
    Well i know how to move a character left and right, how to make collisions with objects a bit. how to make health from variables.........basicly everything you saw in my game i did as far as scripting goes.

I no how to mayk PRG, kan I joyn?

But seriously, joining teams never goes anywhere, until both parties can consider themselves pretty damned good at what they are doing. Working in teams in flash even more so, as there is no 'best way' to collaborate, as there is only one .fla (There are ways around this, but too advanced for the new programmer).

I say this as I have seen hundreds of teams form on FK, yet the only games that ever get released are from one person, or a tight group of 2-3 people who have worked together for a long time.