A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: You're All Dream Crushers

Insignificant Member Joshman_123's Avatar

You're All Dream Crushers

I'm just saying it because you won't help ANYONE out. OK, there's the occasional poster who comes in and says "LoLOmGWDf IM JAGEeeX ANd IMd MAKIngG RunDEXScApE3 N0 JoKE" and you guys [validly] shut him out.

But then there's the serious game developers that come in and ask for help and you won't help them because they don't have anything to show. But if they do have something to show (and it passes your standard), you won't help them for free. It's really quite selfish.

Now I'm an artist/concept designer and I'm looking for an ActionScripter. I posted examples of what I've done (with help in coding) and you help me for 5 minutes then tell me to pay you to help.

What's the use of this forum? I don't know about everyone else here, but I make Flash games for fun and if I make a little money on the side, that's just an added bonus. Will anyone program a game with me (HEAVEN FORBID, FOR FREE)?
    I have like, a gazillion posts on my other account.

Has anyone asked for payments for help here? What kind of help do you want then? Its not like we queue up to help people here, thats not what this board is for. Just because we dont help you doesnt mean that we are evil. Maybe you should think about what you ask for. If there is something you dont understand then ask, but if you dont know how to make an mmorpg then that is different. Dont expect too much of us, and dont expect to get help without doing something yourself.

Thanks for Your two cents. But I think nobody has intendly crushed any dreams, they've only pushed the dreams a bit more further in the future.

You'll never come a real game developer, if You get a few hundreds lines of code, and you don't know what it actually contains.

Everybody in FK usually says, that huge RPG is way too complicated to be a first game EVER!

and LoLomG types of texts usually comes from the N00B's trying to get a full code of the game for what? nothing.

Helping is a lot more different than giving full game code for free. When I was Young, there was no Internet, nowadays NOOB "coders" give up just way too easy. For You "Noobs", test different variables how they react. Change Your code abit and look how it changed the game. Did the program give You and error? What the error says? Why the enemy keeps coming back after I just shot it? Maybe I have a simple error in my thoughts, maybe that's why the code isn't working? Maybe a typo? Maybe the code isn't in the right place? etc.

The Basic rule of coding is
    KISS
    K...Keep
    I...It
    S...Simple
    S...Stupid!

edit:
    For You "NOOBS" out there, when You fall on Your back, get up! And take baby steps! Don't try to conquer the whole mountain first. Start from the bottom and try to learn the basics. How to use variables. How to make little thing called MovieClip move a bit.

How 'bout looking those tutorials coming with flash, ok, they're not very interesting but how the hell they made the car change the color? How about the different Quiz's.
    Last edited by TeroLebe; 07-14-2005 at 07:18 AM.

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ihoss.com
    thats not what this board is for.
    Well actually it is :P its under the help section

But yea, the point is that most decent developers here taught themselves actionScript to the point that they could make a small game, and then use these boards to get tips, and pointers on what there doing wrong etc I learnt A.S from the flash help, untill i could make pong, and a couple of other simple games before i even signed up here. So when people come along asking for you to show them how to code their game, most people feel that they should be doing some work themselves. If you look at some help topics which ask small questions, you will find that 99% of them get answered.

We are not nasty, just realistic. By making people learn some stuff themselves, they will stand a much better chance in future.

Ali

Thanks for being fair about it FK.

This forum is for help and the posters here are nearly all good at Flash, so that's why I come here. I don't expect you all to code a game for me and let me take all the credit for free. But I'm not asking that. I want to partner up with a good programmer and make a game. I know ONE person who lives around me that uses Flash, and he's overseas. He suggested I make a game with an experienced ActionScripter and learn AS from the game FLAs.

That's all I want to do. Is ANYONE willing to share credit for a game? I'm planning to do graphics, animation and concept, and someone else do programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshman_123
    I know ONE person who lives around me that uses Flash, and he's overseas.
    If he is overseas, he is not really "around" you, now is he? :P. He's far away on the other side of the ocean.

"But then there's the serious game developers that come in and ask for help and you won't help them because they don't have anything to show. But if they do have something to show (and it passes your standard), you won't help them for free. It's really quite selfish."

lol.

2 minutes on the board and you know all about how it works.

I'll be the first to admit I very seldom help with the more beginner questions. Partly 'cause it dosen't interest me, partly because a lot of questions are asked because of lack of effort.

I think people aren't falling over themselves to help you, 'cause you've been written off as a lost cause Summer hols kiddie scripter. And that's through the way you write and ask questions ( I mean the throwing your toys out of the pram title of this thread alone suggests that ).

Prove people wrong and you'll get help. Simple as that. Having a simple script that rotates a car sprite around and stating you're going to do a GTA clone is one of the best ways possible to turn people off.

Squize.

lets see some graphics then

Quote Originally Posted by Joshman_123
    But then there's the serious game developers that come in and ask for help and you won't help them because they don't have anything to show. But if they do have something to show (and it passes your standard), you won't help them for free. It's really quite selfish.
    funny enough, that most of the "serious" game dev's questions are those which could be answered by learning the basics of coding and flash. period.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclaw
    If he is overseas, he is not really "around" you, He's far away on the other side of the ocean.
    He lives near me. He's temporarily overseas for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by ihoss.com
    lets see some graphics then
    See my other thread and click the link to my hosted file. Not much there, but should give you an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    stating you're going to do a GTA clone
    I'm not going to do a GTA clone. I never said I was. I'm going to make a GTA style game. Meaning a top-down shooter where nearly everything is interactive. Gee, how different could it be?

Quote Originally Posted by nGFX
    funny enough, that most of the "serious" game dev's questions are those which could be answered by learning the basics of coding and flash. period.
    So is mine. I'm not a programmer though, that's why I'm asking FK. Do you think the major game developers (Blizzard, Ubisoft, Bungie, Sierra) are one person? Of course not. They are all teams of people, and each person has a different job (graphics, animations, programming, music etc). But you're all hermits who associate with no one, and lock yourselves in a dark room, conjuring thoughts in your mind that you might someday get rich by making a game by yourself.

Professional Air Guitarist Frag's Avatar
    Brain, Body, Clothes, Computer Chair, Room, House, Neighborhood, City, State, Country, Continent, World, Galaxy, Universe, and on?
    But you're all hermits who associate with no one, and lock yourselves in a dark room, conjuring thoughts in your mind that you might someday get rich by making a game by yourself.
    lol

Hermits, lol.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

"I'm going to make a GTA style game. Gee, how different could it be?"

Thanks for clearing that up for me, was a major concern.

I do actually sit alone in my room dreaming of being rich through my games... oh actually I don't. Personal projects I work with other people, and in work, I develop with designers, artists, musicians etc. And the best bit ? I earn van loads of cash for it, hurray!

But hey, you just carry on digging this hole for yourself. You're doing a blinding job of getting people to help you.

Squize.

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Im a hermit i live in a hole

Ali

Im a hermit i live in a hole
    lol

But seriously, I tried to help you out in the previous thread for the GTA game. I don't like to do everything, I try to help in a way that will make people learn actionscript.

But I don't think people are all too keen towards working with someone on a game when they have other things they would much rather be doing. Other things being making their own games, experimentation with flash, life, etc.

So personally I would like to work on my own game - one where I have total control. It's my baby, and my hobby, and at the moment have no intention of working on a game with someone.

Keep working on simple games, make some close friends here. Eventually you'll find someone to discuss an idea for a game together - someone who will be willing to help for free. I'm sure by building a relationship with people you'll find someone to help in no time. Don't despair, where there's a will, there's a way.

They are all teams of people, and each person has a different job (graphics, animations, programming, music etc). But you're all hermits who associate with no one, and lock yourselves in a dark room, conjuring thoughts in your mind that you might someday get rich by making a game by yourself
    You sound bitter... relax.

I haven't got any statistics, but I would say the majority of the people on this board are working on games in their spare-time. You can't really compare that to a well-oiled game studio like Blizzard. People at Blizzard can collaborate because:

1) The team members are mostly located in the same building
    2) They are all roughly at the same expertise level (professionals)
    3) It's their frickin' payed job!

Many hobby-developers would probably like to work on their own stuff first and foremost rather then jump on the MMORPG-of-the-week, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Hey Joshman_123
    Your thread for the GTA game has 87 posts and over 700 views, you cant tell me that someone has written anything constructive to help ya out. People are lucky if they get more then 6 replies to a question. Im not personally going to read that thread. If i need help on making a GTA game i would go to the forum search bar and type GTA game and im sure ill get about 600 threads on how to make a GTA game. Dam i think i even found a tutorial somewhere that gives you the code to make one.
    Thats what i dont understand the internet has everything on it you just gotta know what to type and where. Google is your new best friend.

For the record i just googled this,

http://eviludy.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    EDIT: Strille just addressed my first point, so just read Strille's post...

I usually team up with people for free when they are:
    A) A friend of mine (I have quite a few on Flash Kit)
    B) Someone who has impressed me with graphics, or someone who has a REALLY great idea, seems really hyped, and I want to help them out (Admittedly, I'm not doing that anymore due to lack of time...)
    C) Their request is something that (by EXPERIENCE) I know can be done within reason.

I know a lot of people who team up on various boards (including Flash Kit). HeliAttack 2 and 3 wasn't just one guy, SquareCircle Co is a team!

Also, I was reading through your GTA thread and it reminded me a lot of some of those old threads when I first came to Flash Kit, and EVERYONE WAS TRYING TO HELP YOU OUT. So I don't see why you're complaining...

About 4 years or so, I came here as a complete N00B. I had NO CLUE about Flash. So did a lot of other people who are now senior members. Often times, someone would be trying to do something which may seem simple nowadays, like have a character walk behind or in front of objects as they moved on screen. A bunch of us would just keep post our code to do something similar and slowly, we learned off of each other. In other words, we were not just handed the answer.

-pXw

Unless your complaining about the RPG thread. I already said my 2 cents about that one in the thread, so I'm not going to repeat myself...
    Last edited by WilloughbyJackson; 07-14-2005 at 11:51 AM. Reason: World Domination! It's still not working! PM me if you can help!