A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Targeting multiple positions (HELP)!!!

Targeting multiple positions (HELP)!!!

My problem is I have a long list of call functions that follow an on release event, on a button in a scene that I am creating. They control the follow of a movie clip that is loaded into a level in this scene. I have one instance of a movie clip that has many positions within it that are labeled, and they are represented in this script five times. I am trying to get action script to play a particular frame with in this time line but because the movies address is already loaded I can not target the sections of the time line via instance name, as if I were targeting an individual movie clip. Currently the script just passes by all the other call functions that are related to one another for this particular movie clip instance and just plays the last script related to it. All other movie clip instances that have a call function in this particular script function as they should and the action script works just fine for them.

HOW CAN I TARGET A MOVIE CLIP INSTANCE USING MULTIPLE CALL FUNCTIONS THAT HAVE A SIMILAR ADDRESS TARGET, THAT HAS BEEN LOADED IN TO THE SCENE, AND HAS MULTIPLE (STOP) POSITIONS WITHIN IT THAT PLAY ALONG ITS TIME LINE AND HAVE ACTION SCRIPT RECOGNIZE WHERE IT IS WITHIN IT SO IT CAN DETERMINE THAT IT IS IN A PARTICULAR PORTION OF THIS TIME LINE, SO IT CAN PROCEED FROM THERE?

I WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO USE CALL FUNCTIONS TO SCRIPT THE ACTION BUT I AM NOT SURE HOW TO DO THIS. I HAVE TRIED EXACT ADDRESSES, TARGETING INVISIBLE OBJECTS WITH INSTANCE NAMES WITHIN THE TIME LINE, VARIABLES, AND MANY COMBINATIONS OF THE THE ABOVE, BUT NOTHING WORKS. CAN ANY ONE HELP?

SAMPLE SCRIPT:

on (release) {

set(contact, 12);

_level10.portfolioMC.prophecyMC.gotoAndPlay("endEx itStageProphecy");

_level10.portfolioMC.islandMC.gotoAndPlay("endExit StageIslands");

_level10.portfolioMC.cdcaseMC.cdcaseRotatingMed1_m ov.gotoAndPlay("cdcaseExitStageStart1");

_level10.portfolioMC.roamingeye.gotoAndPlay("endEx itStageRoaming");

//BELOW THIS COMENT IS THE FIVE LINES OF SCRIPT THAT I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH. TO TARGET MULTIPLE STOP POSITIONS WITHIN A MOVIE CLIP THAT HAS MULTIPLE LABELS FOR ACTION SCRIPT TO RECOGNIZE, THAT HAVE THE SAME TARGET ADDRESSES WHEN USING CALL FUNCTIONS IN A LONG SCRIPT TOGETHER.

_level10.portfolioMC.bugvadersMC.bvchoiceMC.gotoAn dPlay("pressedStartFrameBugvadersFinish");

_level10.portfolioMC.bugvadersMC.bugvadersbut1.got oAndPlay("bugvadersPanelBackExitStageStart");

_level10.portfolioMC.bugvadersMC.bugvadersbut2.got oAndPlay("bugvadersPanelFrontExitStageStart");

_level10.portfolioMC.bugvadersMC.bugvadersbut3.got oAndPlay("bugvadersPanelLeftExitStageStart");

_level10.portfolioMC.bugvadersMC.bugvadersbut4.got oAndPlay("bugvadersPanelRightExitStageStart");

_level10.portfolioMC.hq120MC.hq120RotatingMed3_mov .gotoAndPlay("hq120MedRotateExitStageStart");

}
    Last edited by jas_G.; 07-19-2005 at 01:32 PM.