A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do I get a preloader to work?

How do I get a preloader to work?

I have tried to get a preloader to work for my site many times and can't seem to get it to work. I have even downloaded other peoples preloaders to see if they would work and still no success.

I put them in the first frame and then the content is in the second frame. What else do I need to do? Step by step if possible.

Thanks.

well there is a whole script to do it, and it depends what kind of preloader you want to build? do you want it with a bar? or only numbers? what numbers? kb? or percent?
    anyway if you tried using ready made preloaders it should work (if you did it right ofcourse).. and then when you upload it on the net, be sure that when you are linking to the swf file, do load it inside an html page, that's because a preloader wouldnt work if you link directly to the swf file... inform me if you get any results.. if not, then something is wrong with the script..

try uploading it, some dont work in flash itself (or appear not to). Put it online and see what happens.

Preloader component

I have tried putting it online and it doesnt work. Is there anyway I can just use the preloader component? I dont mind if I cant change the look of it. I just want the users to see that its loading?

If not, where do I put a preloader that is already made? Do I just put it in the first frame, and everything else in the second?

Some Flash Beginner
    Does it help to put it in a separate scene?

Maybe you didn't give the bar an instance name.

Preloader help...

I use a very simple preloader... I am about 2 years old to flash... and I remember the total frustration when i couldnt get a preloader to work... and I found this preloader tutorial on actionscript.org...

http://www.actionscript.org/tutorial...er/index.shtml

I followed this word for word.. step by step... and I got one to work finally... I never understood anything people told me on how to get one to work. I'm now looking for a better way to get it to use a preloader... but this seemed to work

If you are still having problems... lemme know... later

I usually put the preloader on a different scene, and when it's finish loading I ask it to goto the next scene.