A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pixel Art Game Sprite Competition

...dishing dimes on an .fla! pointguard's Avatar

Pixel Art Game Sprite Competition

Ok, seeing as a lot of people like the idea of a pixel art competition, here goes...

The Rules ::
    1) The competition runs every month, with participants having the first 3 weeks of the comp to enter their designs, (as many entries as they wish!), and then the final week people can vote on the winning designs, (1st, 2nd, 3rd place).
    2) Voting points awared are; 5 points for a first place vote, 3 for a second place vote, and 1 point for a third place vote. You must give reasons when placing your votes as well.
    3) All entries will be added to a special thread for an archive of pixel art gaming sprites, for people to utilise in their games in the future, so if you aren't willing to have your designs used by anyone else, don't enter...
    4) The winner of each inidividual comp gets to choose the topic for the next design, and be crowned "Official FK Pixel Art Game Sprite Design Champion"...

How about it?
    Anyone else think of anymore rules...?
    Or a topic for the first comp...?

edit::
    rule changes...
    Last edited by pointguard; 07-27-2005 at 05:04 AM.

Hmmmm I like the idea I think I'll join too, just to learn from you guys...
    One thing though, since FK has put a limit in the amounf of stuff people can upload, I don't think it'd be smart to put up a thread for it. It might be better if someone would allow the entries to be uploaded to his site instead.
    Imho I think that 2 weeks is waay to short, most people don't have all the free time in the world here. You should make it a monthly competition, and give everyone 3 weeks time to create their sprite.

~Sph

Could just use Imageshack and link to the images from the forum?

From their site:

"ImageShack allows each image 100 megabytes of transfer per hour. If an image exceeds this amount, it will be rendered inaccessible"

Sounds like more than enough bandwidth for a single pixel art image

pointguard
    Just start and we will see ... you make the first step ..

PS: A theme will be nice
    Card Games - play many card games free
    Free Games many free online games

...dishing dimes on an .fla! pointguard's Avatar
    Ok...To get things rolling, and carrying on long the lines of the spaceship theme...

Competition 1...
    "Design a mean 'killing machine' fighter style spaceship. To be flown over a variety of backdrops, (space, land, water)."

No restrictions on if the ship's allegiance is friendly or hostile.
    Top down or side view ships welcome...
    No restrictions on colours used, or if the pixel image is animated or not.
    Size of image must be less than 100x100 pixels, (no restriction on kb of file size!).
    Competition open from now. Deadline for entries is midnight GMT on August 10th, 2005. Voting from August 11th-midnight GMT on August 37th. Winner announced August 18th...

Good Luck people...Be good to see what everyone comes up with! Remember, enter as many times as you like, (we can all learn from each other!).

PS :: (If this is a crap idea, or a crap topic to start with, then please make other suggestions!)
    Last edited by pointguard; 07-31-2005 at 11:36 AM.

Ok ... im not sure i got the idea.. but here is what i've done (fast)... I will have mor uploads of course .. prize is to great to miss it

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?i...contest2ba.swf
    Card Games - play many card games free
    Free Games many free online games

adi4x, it should be 'pixel' art... your's not.

hmmm voting corruption, hows that going to be stopped? it's a serious issue when there's points up for grabs!

so are we talking old style pixel art or will a standard bitmap do?

Hmm, could be a problem. We could have a rule where you have to have a certain amount of posts to vote? Something small like 10? Voter's previous posts can always be checked to see if they're only making 2 worded posts to get within the minimum post count. Also, i dont know if the mods can see the ip addresses of the posters? I know you can see them in some forums. This is all turning a bit serious though!

Junior Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpauly99
    or how about stuff like this?
    http://www.slightsbytes.com/test/barons/cc-player.swf
    Signature

"This is all turning a bit serious though!"

Is a bit mate

I really wouldn't worry about cheating, it'll stick out a mile if someone does, and at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter that much. It's only a bit of fun. If someone is that concerned about winning this they resort to cheating, well good luck to them.

Suprised at this going for a month, I'm sure it will start to flag after a week or so. I mean it's only one sprite, 4 hours work ? 8 tops ( 15 mins for daydream )
    The 48hr comp works so well 'cause of the quick turnaround so people don't have time to get bored of it.

Hopefully I'll see if I can muster up a bad boy sprite or two ( Guess I can't submit already drawn ones ? )

Squize.

Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    "
    Hopefully I'll see if I can muster up a bad boy sprite or two ( Guess I can't submit already drawn ones ? )
    Squize.
    You could show us these to let us know whats awayting us from you, but they would not count. Still I really would like to see them .
    I do stuff that does stuff...

J-Force

So why wouldn't they count ?

Squize.

2D/3D Artist & Programmer Dominicaninja's Avatar
    Yea I think less rules for now and more focus on the fun of creating sprites and looking at what other people can come up with. I guess if there were a prize I would see a reason for more rules and worrying about who's cheating or whatever. Welp, lemme see if I can whip something else up today. Good luck to everyone working on sprites.

Why don't we just say DayDream's the winner and leave it at that?
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

I'm in! Here's something simple I whipped up:

Heavy Assault Fighter

edit:
    removed animation, etc. Made the post look more standard. One pic on a black background, one transparent, one zoomed in. Oh and gave it a name
    Last edited by PRadvan; 07-28-2005 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpauly99
    Whats the difference?
    Pixel art as defined in the wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_art

Quote Originally Posted by slight
    Your link says "Please use front door".

I dont see problem people submitting everything, even 3d models, as long it is counted against them in the voting. If something does not look like Pixel Art Game Sprite, then it hopefully gets less votes.

I can see one problem when someone submits 100 ships, are votes going to be for each ship separately or do they all count up as 1 submission? I personally think it should be each ship sprite, but I am afraid Daydream might do 3 ships and then there is not much competition. So, what is it: to find best Pixel Artist or to find 1 best Image?

I would think the best thing to do would be to find the best image, and whoever has the best image would also be a really good pixel artist.

That looks nice PRadvan!

I think this competition should be about who makes the best picture, no animations. And to me pixel art is like, well... Metal Slug for instance, not the backs but the sprites. I don't think http://www.slightsbytes.com/test/barons/cc-player.swf counts as pixel art as it clearly shows that the ship has been done in a 3d program and just rendered or what's it called. I love the pixel art in King of Fighters.

2D/3D Artist & Programmer Dominicaninja's Avatar

Red Fighter

Yea that looks cool PRAdvan. Here's my submission for today. Those are blasters on the front and wings and rear blasters on top behind the cockpit.
    Red Fighter

pointGuard, should I resubmit my dark alien ship to this thread?
    Oh and I agree with IronClaw, we should focus on still pixel images, not animations.
    Last edited by Dominicaninja; 07-28-2005 at 09:51 AM.