A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Pixel Art Game Sprite Competition

Tiny Ship

I found a bit of time at work to make this little ship:

Tiny

I call it Ultimate Destroyer Mark VII (Tiny edition), Tiny for short.

Keep it up everyone, it's interesting to see everyones different takes on ships and styles. GJ!
    Last edited by Pugger; 07-29-2005 at 10:45 AM.

...dishing dimes on an .fla! pointguard's Avatar
    They all look great so far!

EgoAnt, I really like yours...and Santuria, yours is as near perfect as you can get I think!...I really love the colours and shading in yours...

My little thing...
    "The Pheonix"

Nothing grand, compared to the ones entered already, but I'm still learning, its only my second ever attempt!

Spaceships aren't really my thing but here goes...

Parabolade 3030
    Equipped with 2 semi-automatic railguns, the Parabolade 3030 is designed to be a highly agile combatant ship.

2D/3D Artist & Programmer Dominicaninja's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifritt
    Spaceships aren't really my thing but here goes...

Parabolade 3030

Wow, that thing looks armored! Love the design!

EgoAnt: Cool ship, you may want to give it a name. Red Scout maybe?

Santuria: Lots of weapons going on there! Would be fun to see him destroy stuff!

pointGuard: Cool idea for the phoenix. I like the shape, maybe a bit more detail near the center?

btw, is it just me or are all the icons/buttons on Flashkit not showing up?

better than chuck norris
    thanks for all the complements, guys, i love whipping this stuff out!

my favs have got to be the paroblade, and all the stuff by dominicaninja, man, you rock at space ships, they look like they belong in a really good arcade game/snes game!

Okay, I added a name to my first entry, and now I have an Alka ship (all the ships I do are from concepts I have had for my Xenotraders universe).

This ship is an Alka bomber. It is lightly armored and fast, and the two green pods are highly charged plasma bombs that are released from the wings when the bomber gets in close to the target. As the Alka are a robotic species they can transfer a copy of their combat subroutines to a ship and then if the ship survives they incorporate the successful code modifications into their neural net, if the ship is destroyed the pilot doesn't die, they just lose an unsuccessful combat subroutine. As none of the Alka ships are given names, the name is what the humans call the ships. It just takes too long for a human to say, "Dammit, I have an GXX.9107.104.224.01011 on my tail!"

Okay, now that you have ten pages of backstory, here it is!

Alka Gavel

Last edited by EgoAnt; 07-29-2005 at 12:56 PM.
    Speed up your development time with well documented and easy to implement Flash components.
    That's what I do, I save people.... Save them from work. I'm like a slacker superhero, standing for truth, justice, and the consumption of sugary pastries.

Here's another bigger ship. This one took a while to shade. It's a Missile Frigate with some basic small laser turrets for defense.

Missile Frigate

Nice submissions guys Keep em coming!

Okay, just to see the ships moving (not as part of the contest) I decided to do a quick little race betting game, you can try it here. I actually want to modify the ship placement script so that it actually looks like they are racing a bit better, right now with them going on and off the screen it's pretty baffling, and doesn't really give a good idea of who is in the lead just from looking at the ships....

Ship Race
    (Okay, I know, "Ship Race" isn't exactly the most original name in the world, but it's mostly just a movement test!)
    Last edited by EgoAnt; 07-29-2005 at 06:27 PM.
    Speed up your development time with well documented and easy to implement Flash components.
    That's what I do, I save people.... Save them from work. I'm like a slacker superhero, standing for truth, justice, and the consumption of sugary pastries.

Quote Originally Posted by EgoAnt
    Okay, just to see the ships moving (not as part of the contest) I decided to do a quick little race betting game, you can try it here. I actually want to modify the ship placement script so that it actually looks like they are racing a bit better, right now with them going on and off the screen it's pretty baffling, and doesn't really give a good idea of who is in the lead just from looking at the ships....

Ship Race
    (Okay, I know, "Ship Race" isn't exactly the most original name in the world, but it's mostly just a movement test!)
    that's pretty cool EgoAnt. Maybe we should make a use of all these ships and make a game ;-)

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    edited - wrong sprites

hummm ... I couldn't stand the brief anymore !!! ( the ugly underwear, for non-anglophone )

Hey Lux... pity to see the 'power-briefs' disappear
    Very nice sprite there... he would make an epic animation.
    Critic: His right fore-arm muscle looks a little like an out-of-place bicep, and his mouth looks kinda off (alright for part of an animation, but if static that face is pretty twisted :P).. just my opinion though...

Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifritt
    Hey Lux... pity to see the 'power-briefs' disappear
    Hey !

being a Barbarian doesn't mean you have to sacrify for trend Briefs, specially on Barbabrians, are outdated ...

I am aware of certain body anomalies, but thanks for pointing-them out : that is the kind of feedback I like - for my defense, I wait to animate "alll" sprites before positioning my muscles : because a side view might take me to modify the front view ...hence the "Work In Progress" tag

and for some reason, i'm notoriously bad with "human sprites" ... I draw ok, and I can do backgrounds ...but when it comes to human sprites, I have the hardest time of all to balance them correctly ! hehe
    but I cannot ask for a coder AND a graphist do do my game, so I borrow the role of the graphist ))

[edit] arf, smileys don't appear makes it difficult to have a "disrupted" conversation )

Hehe... Just tryin to help. It's true, humans are hard. But with background's and gui's like yours, all anomalies are forgiven

P.S What you like at drawin' spaceships?

2D/3D Artist & Programmer Dominicaninja's Avatar
    Hey EgoAnt, I think after all the submissions are over, it would be cool to put all the ships together in a Flash movie, maybe showing off their weapons and stuff.

lux: Nice barbarian, although we're actually doing spaceships now. Hey lux, would you consider just redrawing all the sprites from scratch? Cause it seems like you're trying to conform to the old sprite's shape which is probably why he may look a bit awkward. I really don't think people would mind if your sprite is in a slightly different pose, as long as its similar to the original and is as nicely detailed as the one you drew. Hehe, actually this reminds me of the barbarian I drew for my Flash version of HeroQuest (old board game). I did use the miniature for reference, but for the most part I did it out of my head. He's kinda smaller than yours though, and a bit unarmed at the moment heh.

Sorry pointguard! I promise my next post will be on-topic!

I thought I might do something a little different. Note: This one's a side elevation

Multipurpose Utili-pod
    This eco-friendly ship has many uses. When equipped with dual laser-cannons, it's flexibility makes the ship a very versatile fighter.

I'm liking that one Ifritt

Think i'll only be submitting one. I call it the "Chenoa IV"

...dishing dimes on an .fla! pointguard's Avatar
    Sheesh...

They all look nice so far!
    Am liking ifritt's stuff a lot...
    Think I might try a side view one next as well...!

Keep 'em coming everyone, this collection of sprites should make for a massive resource for people's games in the future...!

Oh, for the comp...Is everyone still ok for it running over a month, or should we change it to 2 weeks, and then a few days for voting, etc...?

I agree with Squize when he said:
    Originally posted by Squize:
    Suprised at this going for a month, I'm sure it will start to flag after a week or so. I mean it's only one sprite, 4 hours work ? 8 tops ( 15 mins for daydream )
    The 48hr comp works so well 'cause of the quick turnaround so people don't have time to get bored of it.
    People will probably have long forgotten this thread in a months time, and two weeks is plenty of time to draw a nice collection of sprites.

Yeah i think we should keep it to 2 weeks aswell. If there are a few who need longer maybe we could make the next sprite topic known in advance so if they want longer they can start working on it. For example:

current: Spaceship...... deadline 10th august.
    Next: Robot............deadline 24th august.