A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood, Gore and Language

Blood, Gore and Language

How accepting are websites about Blood, Gore and some minor language?
    will be certain websites not even bother?

doItLikeThis
    If you just wanna upload it on free portals like www.newgrounds.com then it won't matter much, but, if you're selling it to other sites, then it depends on there preference.
    -Aditya

ya, i'll be selling it hopefully.

sophisticated
    well, as I see it:
    it's all about targeting. if you're making a game just to make a game (and hopefully sell it) then it doesn't matter. If your game is good enough someone will buy it. then, if you're making a game for a specific group (let's say white females age 18-35) you should consider a certain preferences (needless to say that blood, gore and even minor language will not pass in this case).

ya that is true, i dont think young white females would enjoy a game with blood :S

Even though HA3 is an action game, from the get go I decided to make all the enemies robots, and have little to no blood.

Too much gore/language is not acceptable on major portals imho, as most of the portals are frequented by minors.

Quote Originally Posted by iopred
    Even though HA3 is an action game, from the get go I decided to make all the enemies robots, and have little to no blood.
    What is this "HA3" everybody talks about on flashkit? I'v never heard of it >_<

Never heard of Heli Attack 3?

Have you been on mars?
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

Quote Originally Posted by Kakihara

Have you been on mars?
    He prob just didnt understand the abriviation.
    Do you think it would help if I had a toggle for the blood?
    Last edited by Blips; 08-03-2005 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakihara

Have you been on mars?
    Er...never heard, I'v been in france :-p

I'll check what google knows about it

Edit : Well it's quite good but very slow on this rubbish comp
    Last edited by fil_razorback; 08-03-2005 at 12:31 PM.

Junior Senior
    no blood on miniclip.
    dont put a toggle in your game that the player can access because that wont wash with the sites youre selling to. Use a toggle in your code so you can easily add or remove those things when you compile different versions. Evem then, not sure how somewhere like miniclip would react to "HA3: Uncut!" if they payed good money for "HA3: regular edition"
    Signature

Quote Originally Posted by slight
    no blood on miniclip.
    dont put a toggle in your game that the player can access because that wont wash with the sites youre selling to. Use a toggle in your code so you can easily add or remove those things when you compile different versions. Evem then, not sure how somewhere like miniclip would react to "HA3: Uncut!" if they payed good money for "HA3: regular edition"
    lol, allright thnx for the advice

But be aware if you put a toggle in your code, some determined hacker will untoggle it and make the patch available on the internet. People will be shocked by the 'new content' and subsequently your game will taken off shelves all over the country, aswell as being sued by many people...

Oh no wait, that was Rockstar.

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga

Quote Originally Posted by random10122
    Ouch .

AquaCorpse saves the day again
    Quote Originally Posted by random10122
    the whole thing is rediculous, if movies can get away with it than video games should be allowed too. it's not our fault some idiot in eb games sold an M rated game to a minor or the grandmother bought it she should do a back round check just like if the boy wanted to see an R rated movie.
    but anyway yeah if your trying to sell your game makes the most sense to leave out the gore. Gore is over played anyway almost as much as cell shaded graphics except gore is much cooler.
    aqua corpse he's a really cool guy...

The whole Rockstar thing is infuriating. Somebody HACKED the game to expose content that would never be shown otherwise and people are going crazy over it. They modified the game itself to display the content. This is just another area where people can't seem to equate the virtual world to the real world. Lets say I buy a nice sports car. It has a rev-limiter on it to keep me from driving like a wild man. I go ahead and remove the rev limiter and die from an accident that was possible only due to my modification. In no way would I be able to sue the car manufacturer. It was my modification that killed me. Its the hackers modification that lets people see something explicit in San Andreas. The end result is the same. My decision led to the consequences. Why the hell can't people seem to see that these days?! Ironically enough, this isn't even new. I remember all the so-called nudity patches for Tomb Raider and I know they exist for other games as well.

Ok, enough ranting from me. Have fun

Not trying to get into a huge discussion, but with your analogy, IMHO its like adding a self destruct button but hiding it and stopping people from using it, unless they mod it. There was no real point of it being there in the first place, your just setting yourself up for trouble by adding it in the first place. I'm not saying I agree with everyone going all crazy on them(considering what you are already doing in the game), but IMHO(Twice in one post ) they were just setting themselves up for no good reason.

Rant out!

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Webgeek
    Lets say I buy a nice sports car. It has a rev-limiter on it to keep me from driving like a wild man. I go ahead and remove the rev limiter and die from an accident that was possible only due to my modification. In no way would I be able to sue the car manufacturer.
    Yes, because you'd be dead.

Just kidding, I understand what you're saying.

I agree with Unknown Guy in a way, because EVERYONE has been gunning for Rockstar Games for awhile now, and this was just ammo.

But we all know the Sims is MUCH MORE DANGEROUS!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07...s_6129609.html

Err what is this bible bashing christianity slave Thompson banging on about now, when I become famous (once my two year plan comes off ) im going to push through a ban on anything remotely religious from ever being seen in public, no now im being serious, how long do ordinary people like us have to sit and take this pompous rubbish from people who have two braincells and wouldnt know a good game, film or book if I slapped them with one, theyve been going after everything that is actually entertaining for ever, Doom, Night of the living dead, evil dead, manunt, gta and the list goes on, leave us to decide what is appropriate for us to watch you fools and go back to reading the bible, uugghh.

Thats enough from me now.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

i think the whole rating system is bull anyways, why do u think there is more violence in the US than in Canada? i personally believe that one factor is that since all our movie ratings are one lower here, people can satisify thier anger, or they see what actually happens when ppl get shot, and alot more people can see what they want to see. Now in the US , Since every thing is one rating higher, people in general get exposed to more violent/sexual movies alot later on in life ( an 18A movie in the US is 14A here ). And so instead of sitting in a movie theatre, thier out side shooting people. And plus people get pissed that they cant see the movies they want, whith out some one holding thier hand. Ratings in general ( games, movies ) w/e should just disapear, I hate the fact that some retards in congress think its thier job to tell us what is and what isnt ok for us to see. It should be left up to the parents to know what thier kids are doing and what games they have. And who the hell cares about that stupid hot cofee mod anyway. Like webgeek said, you have to TRY and get the content unlocked, its not beings shoved in teh faces of the people who DONT want it.
    Life is about choices, and retarded politions are taking those choices away.
    Last edited by Blips; 08-04-2005 at 01:35 PM.