A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Disc] Warcraft 3 System?

[Disc] Warcraft 3 System?

Heya,
    I was wondering if any of you has played WC3?
    I became pretty interested in their whole system. With system, I mean the leveling, stats, damage, items, skills etc. for their hero's. It seems pretty well thought out, yet very basic.
    I was thinking of implementing some of this into my RPG, but I need some help with the formula's they're using in their games. Like calculating the damage done, experience earned, stat points gained, items dropped, etc.
    I might be asking for something impossible, but I was hoping someone could help me out, or atleast point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    SaphuA

Ah, Warcraft 3, holds many fun hours of destroying people with huntresses/ballistas...

The blizzard site has a great detail of information for each hero, showing how the attributes "evolve". Orc, Night Elf, Undead, Human and Neutral . The hero selection is at the top for each. Hope that helps a bit.

It's all about balance...

Edit: Mwhuahhahha....quickest wrist in the west(I live in the east), it's ironic that I just broke my wrist yesterday...
    Last edited by UnknownGuy; 08-03-2005 at 09:02 AM.

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    Warcraft III system is awesome ! I played it extensively, so feel free to ask any question ( though, the gameplay experience is fainting, over-ride by World of Warcraft )

you can check there : http://www.battle.net/war3/human/uni...tainking.shtml ( it's an example of Stats for one hero unit ...you can access all stats by going up in the directory ...

EDIT : bah, unknown beat me to it

Ah thanks for the help guys That seems very usefull... Unknown, how the hell do you broke your wrist? Did you overtype or something?

Although I need to know much more information to get something working out of it. Like, what effect would adding 1 agility point have, or how much damage would you do against a unit with 3 armor. Is there any information about such things?

Oeh wait! I found some information about leveling on the site. I'll just paste the most importatnt stuff here, so we can have a nice discussion going:
    Leveling:
    Code:
    Level	1	2	3	4	5	6	7	8	9	10
    Exp	-	200	500	900	1400	2000	2700	3500	4400	5400
    Experience:
    They've included the folowing function for calculating the epxerience gained, though I don't realy understand it.
    Code:
    GrantNormalXP=25
    F(1) = 25
    // f(x) = A*f(x-1) + B*x + C
    GrantNormalXPFormulaA=1
    GrantNormalXPFormulaB=5
    GrantNormalXPFormulaC=5
    F(x) = 1 * F(x-1) + 5 * x + 5
    The folowing chart is included with the formula:
    Code:
    F(X)	F(1)	F(2)	F(3)	F(4)	F(5)	F(6)	F(7)	F(8)	F(9)	F(10)
    Exp	25	40	60	85	115	150	190	235	285	340
    Attributes:
    They increase differently for each hero, so there's not realy a function for this.

Strength - Physical power
    Hit Points: 1 point of Strength = 25 increase in hit points. Total HP is calculated from the formula:
    100 + 25 * Hero's STR
    Hit Point Regeneration: 1 point of Strength = .05 hit points regenerated per a second.

Inteligence - Magic
    Mana Capacity: 1 point of Intelligence = 15 increase in Mana. Total Mana Capacity is calculated with the formula:
    15 * Hero's INT
    Mana Regeneration: 1 point of Intelligence = .05 points of Mana regenerated per second.

Agility - Attacking
    Defense: 1 point of Agility = 0.3 increase in armor. Total Armor is calculated with the formula:
    -2 (Base Armor) + 0.3 * Hero's AGI
    Attack Rate: 1 point of Agility = 2% increase in Attack Rate.

Will see if I can find some more helpfull information there and add it here.
    Last edited by SaphuA; 08-03-2005 at 09:38 AM.

So are you just looking into how to create your own formulas or what?

better than chuck norris
    DOTA!! lol

DOTA , I never liked that game, though I did like Footmen Frenzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Saphua
    Unknown, how the hell do you broke your wrist? Did you overtype or something?
    It was actually during karate. The sensai(leader of the dojo) had his back on the ground, and I was on top of him. We were practising a roll exercise, where by tucking my arm and leg in he could roll me over and get on top. But during the roll my wrist got caught, perpendicular to the ground(my arm was flat to the ground), and we basically rolled on top of it. Two summers in a row .

Something like this could be cool if executed correctly(I'm sure your up for the task).

I guess now that I can't game much, I'll actually have to finish my space shooter .

It was actually during karate. The sensai(leader of the dojo) had his back on the ground, and I was on top of him. We were practising a roll exercise, where by tucking my arm and leg in he could roll me over and get on top.
    That sounds more like that movie I saw last week... hmm, nvm Hope you'll heal soon, it's a waste of game-time

I never realy liked DotA either, it's more something for the diehard gamers.

Webgeek, yes that's basicly it. I want to implement this into my RPG, but it requires a lot of information. I need to know how I can calculate the dmg done to the enemies, and on what factors it relies on etc. I thought WC3 would be an excelent example, as it's very basic, but still has enough of stuff in it to make it fun. Also, you wouldn't need to be a diehard RPG-player to understand the game, because there are basicly 3 attributes you need to focus on (besides skills offcourse).

Just use Excel to bust things out. Then you can get a feel for how various equations work. You need to decide on "classes" and "attributes" for characters. From there, you can start plugging in numbers that look good. You can even use Excel to predict the outcome of fights based on various data. This would be invaluable for balancing.

DOTA, too bad they don't have AI for DOTA.

AquaCorpse saves the day again
    Dota?
    aqua corpse he's a really cool guy...

Quote Originally Posted by aquaCorpse
    Dota?
    Defence of the Ancients.

DotA is a certain minimod in warcraft 3, where you have to select a hero and fight against other hero's, with a small army of alies with you. It seems to be very poppulair.
    http://www.dota-allstars.com/

But let's not get too offtopic here Anyone else got some information? I'm now looking through the whole armor/dmg thing and will see if I can post a sumup tomorow.