A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash problem/error

Flash problem/error

I've just reformated my computer a few days ago and reinstalled flash and put all of my flash files back on, from a cd I burnt them on, but when I open my flash files, and test them it says "Error creating Flash movie file. Be sure the destination file is not locked or on a locked drive. Also, check that the file name is not too long." Anyone ever have this before, or know what I should do?

Don't open the flash file before you test it. Just test it and it'll automatically open it.

-Danny
    K2xL - My games, tutorials, message boards, and experiments.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by KigD
    Don't open the flash file before you test it. Just test it and it'll automatically open it.

-Danny
    No I mean when I open flash, and go to Control and click Test Movie it says the error thing.

Anyone going to help me?

Hi!
    [check if it is read-only]

1] Did you take it from a CD on to your hard-drive ?

Right-click the file, click properties and make sure "read-only" isn't ticked. If it is then uncheck the box.

2] Are you trying to run your Flash movie from another drive that Flash can't write to?

when flash publishes a movie it needs to create a .swf in the same directory as your .fla file.
    3] otherwise try saving it in a different name and then test it

Does this help?
    autre

Quote Originally Posted by autre
    Hi!
    [check if it is read-only]

1] Did you take it from a CD on to your hard-drive ?

Right-click the file, click properties and make sure "read-only" isn't ticked. If it is then uncheck the box.

2] Are you trying to run your Flash movie from another drive that Flash can't write to?

when flash publishes a movie it needs to create a .swf in the same directory as your .fla file.
    3] otherwise try saving it in a different name and then test it

Does this help?
    autre
    Yes the "read-only" was checked on my files. Thanks!

"error creating Flash movie file."

Took me a minute to figure it out... Apparently, particularly when a file is saved on a Mac originally, the filepath for the .swf is not set to a RELATIVE path, but the actual absolute filepath. and since it's in a format that windows doesn't "get" to start with, it just gives you the funky unrelated error instead of any useful info. Check the publish settings, and click the "default" button, which should set the filepath for saving the files to a relative path.
    Since it has to render out the .swf to preview it, the same thing that keeps you from publishing also keeps you from testing.

great work

I had the same problem..
    when I checked the publish settings they were pointing to a directory I don't even have.
    Hit the default button and all is well...

THANKS

Solution Did Not Work For Me

I'm having the same problem described in this thread and several others. I moved files created on a PC in Flash 8 to a Mac running CS3. I've tried the solutions provided here without success.
    • I've triple checked the read-only
    • I tried re-naming
    • I moved the files to a new location

It's not realistic for me to go back to the PC and there are too many Flash files to recreate completely in CS3.

Thanks for anyone willing to help!

had the same problem while publishing the file from within the Flash CS4 on my iMac.
    I have then decided to open the same file in the Flash CS4 on my other PC and the error message was different - actually more descriptive - it simply said that the folder to which I'm about to publish the file doesn't exists.
    I have purchased the source file form the online stock and then copied files to the different folder - where I was amending the layout etc. Basically what I had to do was to go to the Publish Settings and change the Output location to the new one - this has solved the problem for me.

I had the same message coming up for me. When I went to check the publish settings I got an error message. Adding myself to the permissions list for the Adobe folder in the Applications Support Folder, seemed to fix the problem.

Does anyone know what the settings should be for this Library element?
    "my username"/Library/Applications Support/Adobe

I too had this message pop up and it was a owner/permissions problem.

Just a note to anyone who may do this. If you change your short name on Mac, don't forget to change ownership of any files you worked on prior to changing the short name. You'll have to go in and do a chmod or these files wont compile.

Simply unlocking and adding yourself as a 'Read & Write' user wont work.

When I changed my short name, I really created a new user and just moved the User files/folders to that user. Then deleted the old user. So any files that were not in that User/shortname folder, like a /projects directory I created at the root level of the hard drive, would need to be owned by someone. So I would then run the command in the termal that looks something like this....

sudo chown -R newshortname /path/to/folder

That, took care of my problem.