A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal site

Personal site

I made this in 2 days for my WWW Apps class's final exam. Just wanted to see what everyone thinks. I'm probably going to get my own host and keep it up eventually, so if something needs to be added/subtracted i'm all ears

p.s. The e-mail submission on the bottom was to fill a requirement of having form validation. Its is connected to a database and i will get your e-mail, but i probably wont respond :P

http://hagan.brownzilla.com/myOwn/

Go create something, anything. Cnic's Avatar
    Not bad for two a quickie

Definaty needs some color, it seems really dark. Try easing your tweens and changing your framerate. Smooth out those transitions.

Good luck!

you need to add a hit radius on your buttons

hit radius?

I'm getting a bunch of people saying that the site loads slow for them when they click a link. I'm not sure if i'm doing it right. When i make sites in flash i always make an swf file that will load within the main swf file so it apears you are going to a new page. Is there another more efficient way to do this?
    Last edited by The_Anomaly; 08-08-2005 at 02:28 PM.

Hit:
    Concept is nice.
    Lovely background.

Miss:
    Need preloaders!!!
    Hit rectangle for your buttons is nonexistentent!
    Don't just sit your picture on the frontpage. Make it faded into the background or only appear on about me.
    Some sections don't work for me... give me the html code :-S.

-Danny
    K2xL - My games, tutorials, message boards, and experiments.
    Blog

What sections didnt work?

for the buttons i dont think i ever used a hit rectangle, i always just take whatever color is behind the button and make a link under the words. what are these hit rectangles?

and...is there a way i can preload all the swf files on the load of the page?

I like fishing!

You really need to do some research and learn some basic design skills. The site lacks basic design standards to be honest. Try doing more research

Also use a spell check

Yeah, my "wife" told me my spelling sucked. Do you have any good links that would give me some info on what you mean by "basic design skills"?

iron will

from a beginer

I like the way the links come out. Could you have it permanent and just change the title & bars?

I am positive you could do something about the alien-green...

know any action script?

iron will

good w/ problems, bad w/ solutions

the most frustrating thing is when somebody gives you good criticism, but doesn't offer any hint toward solution...

...the "hit area" is a rectangle or whatever that you draw in the designated frame w/in the button object (double-click the btn in the library). make sure you put a keyframe there too.

Ok, so i think what i made inside my buttons were hit box'es, but i didnt use box's i just drew a line. I'll try putting some box's in there.

What do you mean when you say "Could you have it permanent and just change the title & bars?". You mean the actual links section and have it always off to the side somewhere?

I dont know much actionscript as of now, I've been trying to learn as much as i can in my free time as far as languages because they dont really teach many web languages in my school. So far within the last 3 months i've taught myself javascript, PHP, CSS, alot of flash, Java, and sql. The java i did have a class for but did alot of research on my own, php and CSS i had 0 experiance, and javascript/flash i had little experiance. I just havnt had time to take a good look at actionscript yet, trying to be very efficient in everything else. I guess knowing flash a good amount i probably should start learning it.

Whats wrong with my alien green!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Anomaly
    Yeah, my "wife" told me my spelling sucked. Do you have any good links that would give me some info on what you mean by "basic design skills"?
    Not really any specific links no, as I learnt much of it through education at college. However if you a serious about doing websites and designing then you can buy some books or rent some books about design. I like the designer David Carson.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...307365-8989208

You can go to http://www.coolhomepages.com/ yes I know bad name, but it does have links to thousands of quality sites. Although forget the top 30 voted as there just all normal websites like apple. Look at flash, ultrahip, and clean etc. Its basically researching, through researching you can learn a lot.

I'll definatly have to start looking at different colors/layouts i should use. I've posted this site on a few forums and everyone hates my green. I have some trouble with colors, i'm colorblind to certain ones. Guess i'm going to have to train my eye's to know what colors go together rather than what looks good to me.

If you want to use bright green you can, but bright green and dark colours usually doesnt look too great. You can use green and white. Here is a site with green and white:

http://www.hello-sexy.com/

There is something called the colour wheel:

http://www.edtec.unsw.edu.au/intra/f...s/colwheel.gif

Now each colour that is opposite, is called its opposite colour. Like if you look at red directly opposite is green. You can use opposite colours together, but some hurt your eyes like red and green. If you look round the sides of the wheel the colours go together. So orange and yellow go well etc.

If you have a real problem with colour it is very simple to overcome. Use minimal colours. Have white and another main colour. This way it will match. You can use different tones of that colour. In fact the green and white site I showed you has only two colours http://www.hello-sexy.com/ (technically white and black arent called colours, but we say they are otherwise it gets impossible)

I'm not sure if i'm doing it right. When i make sites in flash i always make an swf file that will load within the main swf file so it apears you are going to a new page. Is there another more efficient way to do this
    That is a good way, but are you loading them right away, leaving the first frame of the external movies empty, with a stop(); on it, and then, when you hit a menubutton in your main movie, make it jump to the second frame? Because then all the external movies are loading from the start.

Jerryj.

is there a way to preload outside movies? or do you HAVE to have a stop() on the first frame?

well theres no point in preloading movies not in the swf, they may as well be in that swf. I dont know what jerry is on about really. Preloaders should be put on the first frame (they are often made up of two frames) then content after it.

Most people, if not all, make a main swf file, with say news on. Then the rest of the pages in other swf files so they can have seperate loading for them. If you want the entire site to load, put everything in one swf, but that would be large and not everyone wants to look at all content so it wastes bandwidth.

is there a way to preload outside movies? or do you HAVE to have a stop() on the first frame?
    No, I don't think there is. You can avoid the 'empty first frame' method by making the extermal movies invisible. Load your external movies into your main movie on different levels, and then use codes like:
    newsbutton.onRelease = function(){
    _level3._visible=true;
    }

I dont know what jerry is on about really. Preloaders should be put on the first frame (they are often made up of two frames) then content after it.
    I wasn't talking about preloaders. You can load all external movies into your main movie right away using loadMovieNum. Then, when you need one, you don't have to wait anymore, because they are already there (that is when they are not too big; then it is still recommendable to use preloaders).

Jerryj.

If you did that setVisibility = true would that make the movie start, or would the movie have already played and when its set to visible be at the last frame.

If thats the case would there be a way to have the movie stopped and when set visible advance to the last frame?

And lastly. if i wanted to go the oneBigSwf root, is there an easier way of doign this than creating everything over(copy paste)