A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: dynamic graphs for a stadalone player

dynamic graphs for a stadalone player

Hi
    I am trying to do this project where I am making a quiz with a few sections eg:- history, math etc..Each section has a few questions.

Once the person answers the questions they should get a bar graph and or a pie chart where their result is displayed which shows how well they have scored in each section with respect to any other section.

This is for a standalone player and will be on a cd.

Please help.

Thanks Aneesha

I'm not sure of what your asking since there is no question on your post. But if your waiting for someone to tell you how to make a pie chart it could take a while if ever. What i suggest is that you try to build your own pie chart and if you have specific problem ask a specific question.

But if you get a litle cash for the project you should look around for flash pie chart component. There is a lot of them some are free some are not. just googled pie chart component for flash mx2004 and you should find what you need.

Ya I wanted to know how I could make a dynamic bar graph in a standalone player.

-Aneesha

Well draw a bar, select it and press f8 to create a movieclip give it and instance name and play width is properties in actionscript.

_width,_height,_x,_y... etc

example : this.yourInstanceName._width = 200;

I don't really know what else to say, maybe you should go trhough the book you receive with your flash.

hi,

I also want to develop some chart types ,inwhich the data willcomes fromXML file instead of CSV or static.

i know,little bit about XML Parsing , loading and getting oneparticualr node or attributes,after gettingthe values, i have to draw a chart, using Drawing Objects AS 2.0.

Here i got stuck up with how to draw the graph.

this is wat my rough logic goes

var myXML:XML = new XML();

myXML.onLoad = function(success)
    {
    if(success)
    {
    var label:String = myXML.firstChild.attributes.label
    var yaxis_min:Number = myXML.firstChild.attributes.minY;
    var yaxis_max:Number= myXML.firstChild.attributes.maxY;
    var yaxi_curr:Number = myXML.firstChild.attributes.Ytoday;

}else
    {
    trace("File notloaded successfully")
    }

}

myXML.load("stocks.xml");

my XML willbe something like this.

<graph label="Monthly Stock" yaxis_Min = "10" yaxis_Max = "500" Ytoday="250">
    <set xdata="">....
    <set xdata="">....

<set xdata="">....
    </graph>

i can able toget the data,but displaying part i am very much confusedinthe logic.

kindly help meout in refining my logic in this,so that i can finish of my project.

note: Any site refrences orlinks willbe appreciated.

cheers
    saikiran
    saisen76@hotmail.com

check out my xml bar chart in my library..u should be able to modify it according to ur needs..
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

-----------------------------------------------------
    Flash Certified Developer

hi,

Thank you very much for your flashmatics link, i have downloaded the files and trying to understand the code and logic, as i am very much new to AS , it takes little bit time to me.

Can you suggest me the logic for creating the same example of bar chart into PIE or Line Chart with some dynamic animation in it, as like CNN or CNBC stock quotes..

also, suggest me some books or refrence materials for using XML and Flash together, so that i will try those sites or materials also

cheers
    saikiran