A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: game developer contest up and kicking

Hybrid View

game developer contest up and kicking

hey there all,
    found something worth sharing: http://www.miniclip.com/gamecompetition.htm
    Miniclip is having a game dev contest, the winner gets a 3000 $ contract for his game
    Unlike other similar contests taken place recently,miniclip isn´t wanting exclusive ownership for the winning game,just a 2 month exclusive and then a license to run it on miniclip,so you can reuse/relicense the game to others after those two months.
    besides that not winning games are also not automatically used by miniclip,instead runner-ups may be contacted for custom deals if both sides want to and others just keep all rights on their game.
    all of that makes it a good deal to me,if you have some time and creativity left,get in there

Get a game in by november I think I might have a crack at this one.

Thanks for the link tom.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

coolies and yeah,no probs

Official Shoe Shiner thehumanchimp's Avatar
    "The dimensions of the game must not be greater than 800x600." doh, there goes my game... mines 900x500
    Message on a gravestone: I finished before you in the human race.

Using: Flash MX

Quote Originally Posted by thehumanchimp
    "The dimensions of the game must not be greater than 800x600." doh, there goes my game... mines 900x500
    oh,i can feel your pain mate,but i also see why they added that rule,there are still many people surfing the web with resolutions of 1024x768 and lower,so your game would fill more than or almost the whole browser window.
    i suggest you make it a bit smaller in dimensions,not just for the contest but also because it would run smoother and generally be a better surfing experience for many people.

Quote Originally Posted by alillm
    Hmm, i would, but the games entered will probably all be really good. Im not sure i want to spend 2 months working on a game only to come 28th
    Ali
    haha,i get your point,but well,one of the good sides of the contest is that if you don´t win,you can use your game for anything else,so always worth a try =)

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Hmm, i would, but the games entered will probably all be really good. Im not sure i want to spend 2 months working on a game only to come 28th

Ali

doItLikeThis
    Oh, I wish I could submit my 'River City Ransom' game in, but I would'nt, don't wanna hear people shouting out for the ripped stuff, best of luck to the others who enter though
    -Aditya

2D/3D Artist & Programmer Dominicaninja's Avatar
    "No offensive content (eg. violence...)"

Well that sucks! I guess there goes every shooter game!

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicaninja
    "No offensive content (eg. violence...)"

Well that sucks! I guess there goes every shooter game!
    i think with that they more meant no explicit (and/or senseless) violence/blood/gore etc. Note they have heli3 on the frontpage,so as long as its in certain reasonable boundaries,i think a shooter is no bad.

2D/3D Artist & Programmer Dominicaninja's Avatar
    Thanks for clarifying tomSamson. I probably won't have it done by then, but I'll try to keep the violence to a minimum just in case hehe. When they say "complete", do you think one complete level would be good enough? Kind of like Alien Hominid?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicaninja
    When they say "complete", do you think one complete level would be good enough?
    No, Im pretty sure it means all levels must be included.

I might actually enter this contest. Though I doubt I'll win
    Tsehehehehehe

Razor
    Sweet, thanks tomsamson nice find!

I wonder if they would allow external files, like .xml for maps and such...any ideas?

Sounds interesting...

Official Shoe Shiner thehumanchimp's Avatar
    it does say: ...including all external data... when talking about the file size, so i would assume it is allowed.
    Message on a gravestone: I finished before you in the human race.

Using: Flash MX

Hahaha, I was working on an entry for the Games of Gondor contest, maybe I'll enter it at MiniClip instead! Three grand is certainly better than $400 and a PSP, especially since I got a PSP for my birthday anyway. Plus, if its only a two month exclusive I would certainly prefer that!
    Speed up your development time with well documented and easy to implement Flash components.
    That's what I do, I save people.... Save them from work. I'm like a slacker superhero, standing for truth, justice, and the consumption of sugary pastries.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EgoAnt
    Hahaha, I was working on an entry for the Games of Gondor contest, maybe I'll enter it at MiniClip instead! Three grand is certainly better than $400 and a PSP, especially since I got a PSP for my birthday anyway. Plus, if its only a two month exclusive I would certainly prefer that!
    DS > PSP

(I'm just kidding... I don't own any handhelds...HOWEVER, if Bleach by Treasure comes out in the US... I might just have to buy a DS...)

Anyhow, good luck to everyone who enters. I don't think I can, since I've got a lot on my plate right now.

Exclusivity
    The GAME is exclusively licensed to Miniclip.com for 2 months from release date.
    I am not sure I understand it
    Does it mean entry has to be new game? And it cant be released anywhere before contest is over?

Heh, as far as I'm concerned DS = Apples, PSP = Oranges... And Apples <> Oranges. =)

Tonypa, I am guessing that the game does have to be a new game for Miniclip. They are trying to get more games to draw people to the site, and for that they want fresh blood to draw the casual gaming sharks...

Dominicaninja: You probably could submit a one level game, just make sure that one level feels complete. If it is a side scroling adventure like Hominid, then make sure that the single level feels like a bit of a story progression. The ultimate would be if you could find a way to make it worth playing that level over and over again, though, I'm sure they want a game that will keep people coming back for more, and with a lot of adventure games once you finish it, people tend to forget about it.
    Speed up your development time with well documented and easy to implement Flash components.
    That's what I do, I save people.... Save them from work. I'm like a slacker superhero, standing for truth, justice, and the consumption of sugary pastries.

Thanks Tomsamson.

I've been waiting for something like this to get back to my latest game development...

... If I only had more time.
    juggernart.com