A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: game developer contest up and kicking

Quote Originally Posted by metanet
    am i the only one confused about the wording of the contest? many posts in this thread seem to suggest that the winner receives the $3000 contract for the winning game, however -- i'm almost positive that the deal is:

-you make a game and submit it to the contest
    -you win
    -you get a contract for $3000 to make _another_ game for miniclip

..which would mean $1500/game.

so basically: you get to be payed less than they usually pay their developers, and they get a game that's better than their usual games.

i might just be misreading though, and/or overly suspicious of this sort of proposal -- the cartoon network tried something similar with their project goldmaster "contest" at the IGF.

raigan
    The winner gets $3000 for the game submitted. What you guys should bare in mind, though, is that should your game not win (unthinkable!) we may contact you about contracting it separately, outside of the competition. So there is no good reason not to send in your game, really.

Cheers,

Niclas
    www.miniclip.com

"Submit your game now!
    All entrants MUST be AT LEAST 16 YEARS OLD."

Bad luck, i'm 15 (16 in december)...Can i ask somebody (my father for example) tu submit it ?

3Mb is quite small..you can't include more than 3-4 different musics except if you put it in 64Kbps lol
    Last edited by fil_razorback; 08-12-2005 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fil_razorback
    "Submit your game now!
    All entrants MUST be AT LEAST 16 YEARS OLD."

Bad luck, i'm 15 (16 in december)...Can i ask somebody (my father for example) tu submit it ?

3Mb is quite small..you can't include more than 3-4 different musics except if you put it in 64Kbps lol
    Sorry, the maker must be the person who submits the game.

Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by DancingOctopus
    From the miniclip contest page:
    Grant of License
    The GAME .DCR, .SWF, .JAR, code, images, graphics, sounds and other intellectual property of the GAME are licensed by Miniclip.com for use [on] the Miniclip.com website.
    (emphasis added)

This would indicate that the game won't be made "free web content" by miniclip. To add to this, I've been under the assumption (I've never delt with miniclip personally, so I can't speak from experience) that the freedom to make games avaliable to anyone via miniclip is a special clause in their licensing contracts. Given the case, I'd assume that they would specifically state if this was apart of the contract on offer.

If anyone decides to email miniclip for clarification, feel free to post the findings here
    The games submitted will not be posted as "free web content" for webmasters.

Niclas
    www.miniclip.com

Yeah, this contest sounds fantastic, really.

Dominicninja, I hate having to always keep an eye on my file size. Right now my game is sitting at 73kb, but it has only 1/10 the animations and no sound. The animations aren't going to take up much space, but the sounds could get hefty.

Now I just need to actually find a place to get high quality sounds for cheap, I'm thinking I might just head over to sounddogs and buy each sound individually.

By the way, thanks Niclas for dropping by and clearing that stuff up.
    Speed up your development time with well documented and easy to implement Flash components.
    That's what I do, I save people.... Save them from work. I'm like a slacker superhero, standing for truth, justice, and the consumption of sugary pastries.

im a bit confused, people saying 3Mb is too low a size limit. personally Id say 1Mb is more than enough for anyone. you can squeeze a lot of game in 250-500k (even with sounds.)

looks like a good comp. be watching with interest. cheeky miniclip tactic to source more games

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    I agree mr paul, 3MB for a game is huge.

The project I'm working on currently stands at 30k (with sound fx). I'm aiming to keep the final version below 100k.

Not sure whether I'll enter anything for the comp though. Why does the prize money have to be in dollars? Miniclip are a london based company, and 3000 pounds would be lovely. :-)

Official Shoe Shiner thehumanchimp's Avatar
    Meh, who needs 3 MB eh?

If these people (http://www.theprodukkt.com/kkrieger.html) can make a fully 3d game in 96KB (i **** you not), and yes that is KB, not MB or GB, then noone needs 3 MB. That said, my game is already above 450kb
    Message on a gravestone: I finished before you in the human race.

Using: Flash MX

Hahaha, true enough. I played that game, too, it looked really great. Sound is my weakness, though, I always end up spending too much space on music and sound effects. I think it's mostly because that's my weakest area. I just don't know that much about audio.

Most of my games end up under 100kb, though. My heaviest game so far would probably be protector, and that ended up being 318kb. The only reason 3MB scared me is that I know that the game I'm working on now could get WAY out of hand.
    Speed up your development time with well documented and easy to implement Flash components.
    That's what I do, I save people.... Save them from work. I'm like a slacker superhero, standing for truth, justice, and the consumption of sugary pastries.

2D/3D Artist & Programmer Dominicaninja's Avatar
    Or if you're like me and use a HUGE jpeg for the background instead of tiles! That alone is like 450kb if I remember correctly. Grr, I'm not good at controlling filesize.

Junior Senior
    Lux, barbarian is way too violent for miniclip. Even if we took all the blood out, the decapitation would still be too violent.

Niclas, I was going to contact miniclip about this, but since you are here now and others might like to know this as well... The game I plan to release around the time of the miniclip contest will *require* flash player version 8. Would this disqualify it from the miniclip contest?
    Signature

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Robots Is The Answer, Slight! :d

Quote Originally Posted by slight
    Niclas, I was going to contact miniclip about this, but since you are here now and others might like to know this as well... The game I plan to release around the time of the miniclip contest will *require* flash player version 8. Would this disqualify it from the miniclip contest?
    I know its not question for me and hopefully Niclas answers this, but Flash8 should be out in september and by the contest deadline it should be out already for 2 months. I think Flash8 could be big enough improvement to make all games ver8 by that time.

Junior Senior
    Those are my thoughts too tonypa, but the contest terms state "flash player 5, 6 or 7." :/
    Signature

so.. probably if they don't change the rules, the game will not enter in competition... But I'm shure if it is a good game miniclip will contat you for separate deals.(only my opinion..)
    regards

the usual
    I'm guessing that this has a 3mb limit is due to the fact that it's not flash exclusive - director doesn't compress files as good as flash!

wat calibur of games would be sent in to a competition like this? r we talking 5 team uber games like heli attack or awsome 3d games.

hi does anybody know if this competition is still up ? there doesnt seem to bee a link to it on the miniclip site ?
    - - - - - - - -

ok thanks! i just couldnt find a link to it from the miniclip site so i was wondering if had takin it down guess they havent. nice
    - - - - - - - -