A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can I write this off?

Can I write this off?

i just bought a big screen television. can i write it off on my taxes as a business expense since i offer video prodcution and web design for my company? somewhow saying this is a kind of film equipment expense?
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

Sure, you can claim it on your taxes... just as long as you can convince an auditor that it is used 100% for business. You're not convincing me, though!

Actually, there are a couple things that come to mind... first, is that I'd check with the person who does your taxes. If that's you then, well, it's up to you. Second, I think a television set can definitely be a justifiable purchase. Companies purchase A/V equipment like this every day.

But, if you have it placed strategically in the middle of your living room, it could be a difficult thing to try and convince an auditor of it business use.

yeah, its in my living room, lol. so would i be able to just say its used %50 for business and %50 for company use? which it would be
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

If you want to write it off I believe it would have to be 100% business. Too bad
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

is your office at home.. i im'd my accountant.. and if your office is a home office then you could write it off

my office is upstairs though and thas all i use that room for. the TV is in my living room. doesnt the TV have to be in the office if its used for business?

she said nah as long as you can prove it is used for business reasons

I just bought a 27" LCD for "business". We are actually using it for vendor fairs. We have nice little flash commercials that target each market at these fairs. Pretty cool stuff.

Here is another question about writing off items. What about clothes... suites, shirts, ties shoes. All for work of course. I have heard people do this but my CPA said no. Why the descrepency. Can any one speak from experience.
    "Leading the business of today into the future of tomorrow"

Quote Originally Posted by vampstko
    she said nah as long as you can prove it is used for business reasons

thas what i'm talkin about baby.

Quote Originally Posted by pastthepresent
    I just bought a 27" LCD for "business". We are actually using it for vendor fairs. We have nice little flash commercials that target each market at these fairs. Pretty cool stuff.

Here is another question about writing off items. What about clothes... suites, shirts, ties shoes. All for work of course. I have heard people do this but my CPA said no. Why the descrepency. Can any one speak from experience.
    why wouldnt you be able to write clothes off if you are going to events to promote business and need new suits/jeans/shirts/etc? i jus save my receipts on everything even gas and dining. sort out what can and cant be used at the end of the tax season.