A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hows your work ethics?

Quote Originally Posted by iaskwhy
    Now that I've been making my living from a desk the last 7 years, I see things slightly different. I get a job, I work at it day and night till it's done. What bothers me more now, is the ethics of the client. They demand everything for almost nothing and they are slow to pay, and generally they are running in the "cheap bastard" category. If they were running a construction firm, they wouldn't last long at all, cause nobody would work for them long.
    Yeah, where is the client work ethic thread?! The good ones make it worth it but, here anyway, most projects include at least two middle-men in some way shape or form. It's their job to basically take as big a slice as they can from something they are only passing on to someone else to do. Plenty of room for bad ethics there.

I don't think many companies base promotions on attendance because they believe that is what warrants promotions. But, they do use attendance as an excuse to keep a person in the same position for their entire life without a raise. If the person complains about that, they are protected from spreading resentment from employees because "everybody knows" that so-and-so comes in late on occasion.

Sybersnake, only hearing it said back to me does it truly feel as crazy as it was. I can't tangibly prove it, and I'm not trying to win cool points, but I promise that it very much happened. That's the issue with your parents recommending you for work, while you live with them, to their friends. The guy I did the work for was nuts. He was an alcoholic and many times I had to drive his pregnant wife to the hospital while he was tanked, or sit (quite embarassed) at a bar while he got hammered, only for me to be the designated driver.

Luckily, karma has been decent to me. He'd often said "The best revenge is living well", along with many other cliches and campy, regurgitated phrases. I'm doing fine now. No complaints.

It was all in the interests of getting the job done... And yeah, well, my knowledge of what that entails anymore is drastically different.

That's the other problem with working for the man; driving the boss' pregnant wife to the hospital all the time.