A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holey Moley That Was Fast

Netsol have always been incompetent fools when I've dealt with them. They've sold domains that haven't expired and failed to notify when others are reaching expiration. Whenever challenged they fall back on the fact that they can do what they want with domains instead of finding out what went wrong in their process.

I'll never deal with them again.

imagination through stupidity
    Quote Originally Posted by iaskwhy
    I just logged into NetSol about 4 hours ago and redirected my domain to a new host and new DNS, and it's already propogated.

Use to take 3-4 days, not 3-4 hours.

I like that.
    for the last 6 months, i've been noticing that things propogate in under 24 hours. Maby they actually fixed the system. I'm now using godaddy, its cheap and they give you a boat load of features.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

I guess it had to happen to someone, maybe they saved it all up for you, cause I've never had any problem whatever with them. I appreciate the security they give, and they actually use to send out snail mail and e-mail when the bill was due, now it's just e-mail. I also like the 800 number you can call and get anything straightened out. Not that I wouldn't pay the bill, but who remembers that something is due when you only pay it once every 3 years or so? And I have had damn good domains that were running in the top 3 or 4 at Google, sold out from under me the day the bill was due, and never got a notice at all.

And I have had damn good domains that were running in the top 3 or 4 at Google, sold out from under me the day the bill was due, and never got a notice at all.
    I am curious what registrar that happend with.

I guess it had to happen to someone, maybe they saved it all up for you, cause I've never had any problem whatever with them. I appreciate the security they give, and they actually use to send out snail mail and e-mail when the bill was due, now it's just e-mail. I also like the 800 number you can call and get anything straightened out. Not that I wouldn't pay the bill, but who remembers that something is due when you only pay it once every 3 years or so? And I have had damn good domains that were running in the top 3 or 4 at Google, sold out from under me the day the bill was due, and never got a notice at all.
    $35/year is horrible. Never will i do that again. I still have like 5 domains at netsol.

I am curious what registrar that happend with.
    I've forgotten the name, it's been so long. Maybe it was Joker, who's service definately fit their name. I hear they're gone now. And some other fly by night resellers/registrars. Good riddence.

$35/year is horrible.
    It's only $35 per year if you pay for 1 year. It goes down fast if you pay for 3 years or more. And no, that's not good if your just buying a domain for throw away or for some butthole client.

I've forgotten the name, it's been so long. Maybe it was Joker, who's service definately fit their name. I hear they're gone now. And some other fly by night resellers/registrars. Good riddence.

It's only $35 per year if you pay for 1 year. It goes down fast if you pay for 3 years or more. And no, that's not good if your just buying a domain for throw away or for some butthole client.
    at any one point in time, i own 8 throw away.. may possibly use.. domains.

I'm not the only one that's for sure, the same thing happened to several people I know, I know many cases of netsol selling domains out on the day they expire without sending reminders of any sort.

All this happened 18months+ ago, so things might have changed, but I'm not going back to that company, no way. I might have been willing to forgive them errors but they made no attempt to admit any, just stated that they can do what they like with the domains at any time and that we have no right to appeal.

The same thing has happened to me, with every other domain seller BUT NetSol. And I stay with them for the same reason you go with the others.

Network Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by admedia

From: http://www.verisign.com/verisign-inc...ge_015894.html

September 9, 2004

Previously, VeriSign updated DNS servers for .com and .net twice each day by generating a file from its .com and .net Registry database and globally distributing it to all 13 of the .com and .net DNS servers.

With new, rapid updates, VeriSign distributes updates every few seconds accommodating all changes that affect any of the more than 35 million domain names for .com or .net. With the new update process, domain registrants are now able to add a new domain name, change their hosting provider or make other changes to their domain name, and see those changes reflected in the .com and .net DNS servers within a matter of minutes.
    I've had domains registered through OpenSRS that were live in minutes - literally by the time I closed the browser and sent an email confirmation, the domain was resolving correctly.

Godaddy can do it in minutes, too - they say 4-8 hours to avoid phone calls from people with nothing better to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff2A
    I've had domains registered through OpenSRS that were live in minutes - literally by the time I closed the browser and sent an email confirmation, the domain was resolving correctly.

Godaddy can do it in minutes, too - they say 4-8 hours to avoid phone calls from people with nothing better to do.
    I knew the what since this has been going on, and thanks to your previous post I now know the why.

I don't know why I pimp godaddy here, I guess I just like using them and don't feel they deserve to be lumped in with shady 'aftermarket names sellers'. As far as their control panel goes, I have used a number of them and I would say theirs is the most advanced and flexible I have used. Although it's about the only one I have used in the past 2 years or so. Never had a problem getting a hold of someone on their tech line either and they take care of me when I do.
    Last edited by admedia; 08-20-2005 at 01:02 PM.

Again, this has nothing to do with NetSol or GoDadday or any other registrar. It has to do with how fast a domain can now propogate. And by that, I mean that there were 6, probably more now, "Nodes" situated around the world. They all had the exact same data for every domain registered on the WWW from ICANN.

It use to take 48 to 72 hours for all the nodes to get and update the data. In the mean time, from whereever your sitting, your domain may be up one minute and down the next, depending on what node your http packets were routed theough at that particular instant of time. Since packets are broadcast like dandolion seeds, they can go around the planet and come in through your back door, or they may come more direct, but all of them go through at least one node before they get to you. So if all the nodes don't have the same exact address for your domain, the data doesn't come through until all nodes have updated. That use to take 3 days, now it can take just hours. And that's the "Holey Moley That Was Fast" part.

Network Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    I knew the what since this has been going on, and thanks to your previous post I now know the why.

I don't know why I pimp godaddy here, I guess I just like using them and don't feel they deserve to be lumped in with shady 'aftermarket names sellers'. As far as their control panel goes, I have used a number of them and I would say theirs is the most advanced and flexible I have used. Although it's about the only one I have used in the past 2 years or so. Never had a problem getting a hold of someone on their tech line either and they take care of me when I do.

For what it's worth, I use godaddy for my personal domains, but use our reseller account with OpenSRS for most of my domain-related 'work'. OpenSRS is very fast, has OK service (not for end users, but for resellers), and will lock the domains once they expire for a 30-60 day redemption period.

I prefer the OpenSRS interface because it's simple and ad-free.

Again, this has nothing to do with NetSol or GoDadday or any other registrar. It has to do with how fast a domain can now propogate. And by that, I mean that there were 6, probably more now, "Nodes" situated around the world. They all had the exact same data for every domain registered on the WWW from ICANN.
    Understood, but this like alot of threads in the Coffee Lounge has multiple sometimes relavant sub-topics that are all valid and worth discussing within the main topic.
    Last edited by admedia; 08-20-2005 at 01:12 PM.

Well, at least, we're not shouting names at each other or talking about religion.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Well, at least, we're not shouting names at each other or talking about religion.
    Thou shalt have no other registrars before the one true registrar.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

It still has to proprogate all the way down to your ISP's repository, thats getting just as fast too.

I have bellsouth.net, there are 8 bellsouth DNS servers that i know of. (HEHE, my internal DNS has all 8 in it, it drops requests to the ones that are unused.(the dialup-only dns servers are waaay less used than the others) My internet resolves domains much faster than any other bellsouth i've seen around me)

Its like going from 200ms to 12ms.
    Last edited by Sybersnake; 08-20-2005 at 01:21 PM.

Network Guy

It use to take 48 to 72 hours for all the nodes to get and update the data. In the mean time, from whereever your sitting, your domain may be up one minute and down the next, depending on what node your http packets were routed theough at that particular instant of time. Since packets are broadcast like dandolion seeds, they can go around the planet and come in through your back door, or they may come more direct, but all of them go through at least one node before they get to you. So if all the nodes don't have the same exact address for your domain, the data doesn't come through until all nodes have updated. That use to take 3 days, now it can take just hours. And that's the "Holey Moley That Was Fast" part.
    Oh boy.

1) There's been 13 root .com servers for quite some time.

2) It used to take 24-72, with most ISPs in the US seeing it within 24, and most users in Africa and Asia catching up within 72.

3) The root servers will all have the same copy of the zone at the same time. They MUST. The zone itself may not be updated immediately, but all of the serial numbers on any given .com root will be in sync at any given time.

4) If your domain was going up-and-down, your ISP has horrible DNS practices, but it has nothing at all to do with the path your packets were taking to the server - packets aren't broadcast like seeds, they take a very specific route based on advertisements of locations. You will look up the IP address of the domain once by querying your ISP's DNS cluster. The Cluster will look up the domain once by querying the root servers for an authoritative nameserver, and then by querying the list of authoritative nameservers until the first replies with an answer. That answer will be returned to you, and your browser will make a connection to that server using standard internet routing - a single packet is sent, and it is directed in a single path to a single server

For 99% of the sites on the internet, my quick summary is correct-enough for general understanding - the network operators among us will know that some intricacies of DNS such as glue records, and more advanced techniques like ANYCAST and MULTICAST make my comment a lie, but the number of sites doing ANYCAST and location based DNS balancing are in the HUGE minority. It'd take much more than a page to explain the concept of ANYCAST, but anyone who's interested can go read the F-ROOT homepage ( http://www.isc.org/ops/f-root/ ) or, perhaps, the Akamai website.

Here's the mental image I have of it.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/in...astructure.htm

Network Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybersnake
    It still has to proprogate all the way down to your ISP's repository, thats getting just as fast too.
    ISPs do not keep a copy of the zone files for any of the large TLDs - it'd be stupid for them to do that.

What they do is wait for a query from a customer, execute that query to the root, and cache the result. If you're impatient and query the ISP before you register the domain, it's possible that the ISP can query the root, receive a 'host does not exist' (NXDOMAIN) response, and cache that until the TTL expires.

The RFC for the 'right' way to do this is http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2308.html - this specifies that the minimum from the SOA from the .com is to be used as the TTL for caching the failure. The .com SOA - as of a few minutes ago - is:

com. 172800 IN SOA a.gtld-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 1124558921 1800 900 604800 900
    The minimum is 900: negative (NXDOMAIN) records should be cached for no more than 15 minutes.