A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezing a hard drive...

Freezing a hard drive...

All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

The only thing I see a problem with is it will no longer fit in a 5 1/2" bay.

imagination through stupidity
    that and the electronics under the hard drive that are exposed (which i think shouldn't be exposed, but they make them that way) now has a electrical conductor touching them.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

Yeah, that board that's visible at the bottom rear has always bothered me. It's like they forgot to mold the rest of the case.

Maybe it's for cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by iaskwhy
    Yeah, that board that's visible at the bottom rear has always bothered me. It's like they forgot to mold the rest of the case.
    you always have to be soo careful so you don't touch it.

the whole case is a huge headsink. there is no processing unit on that board, i don't see why it would get hot.

They do tho, they get real hot when doing a backup or other HD intensive work like 3-D rendering. You can even buy hard drive coolers for them now.

One nice thing about that little hole for the board, it grows some nice cobb webs.

Registered pseudo intellectual
    the whole case is a huge headsink. there is no processing unit on that board, i don't see why it would get hot.
    What do you mean by processing unit? There are several chips on mine. They probably keep it outside of the case because it is so hot inside of the box (without a fan blowing air on it from the outside) that it would cost more money to make chips that could withstand +50 temps.

I touched it once, by accident. Thank god it wasn't doing anything except spinning. The whole thing just switched off.

To be honest guys, you don't have to be that gentle with touching the exposed board on the hard drive.

We put harddrives in computers, and just trusting them close to gentally, as long as you're not kicking them around, they'll work.

Hell, they're capable of taking more G forces than human beings can survive. Touching it's board won't hurt it, as long as it's off.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

"This is how I clean a motherboard. I take the motherboard out of the computer case, disconnect all wires. I then inspect the motherboard for any parts that might be affected by water or a heat gun. I remove all memory, CPU and any fans. If the parts appear to be water resistant I then take the battery out, this assures me there is no current on the board. The next step is to take the board, hold it over the wash tub and with a cool water gentle spray, I spray off the crud. This only takes about 30 seconds. Then I take Scrubbing Bubbles(tm) and spray the board on both sides. I wait about 30 seconds to a minute, hold the board over the wash tub and give it a warm water gentle spray rinse. Next I take the board and hold it securely and fling the heavy droplets off. I then go to my workbench and with a hair dryer on high procede to dry the board, I keep the hair dryer moving and watch the water evaporate. I then give the board another gravity fling to dislodge any remaining droplets that are stuck in the memory, CPU socket and ISA slots. One more time I take the hair dryer to it. When it appears dry I set it to the side for several days. When I feel that all water is evaporated. I then assemble the board and I am good to go. Can you come up with a better way?"

http://www.computing.net/hardware/ww...rum/30187.html

Registered pseudo intellectual
    Touching it's board won't hurt it, as long as it's off.
    Off being the key word there...

We had old token ring servers, and my co-worker was cleaning them.

1, he forgot to shut it down. 2, he pulled out the drives, cleaned them, forgot which went where, and put them back in random order.

They aren't hot swappable, and they must be put in the same exact order.

Miraculously, it still works.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Quote Originally Posted by ViRGo_RK

1, he forgot to shut it down. 2, he pulled out the drives, cleaned them, forgot which went where, and put them back in random order.

I had an old compaq that wouldn't boot to windows when i had the hard drive on IDE1, instead of 0. Linux booted fine tho.

"This is how I clean a motherboard. I take the motherboard out of the computer case, disconnect all wires. I then inspect the motherboard for any parts that might be affected by water or a heat gun. I remove all memory, CPU and any fans. If the parts appear to be water resistant I then take the battery out, this assures me there is no current on the board. The next step is to take the board, hold it over the wash tub and with a cool water gentle spray, I spray off the crud. This only takes about 30 seconds. Then I take Scrubbing Bubbles(tm) and spray the board on both sides. I wait about 30 seconds to a minute, hold the board over the wash tub and give it a warm water gentle spray rinse. Next I take the board and hold it securely and fling the heavy droplets off. I then go to my workbench and with a hair dryer on high procede to dry the board, I keep the hair dryer moving and watch the water evaporate. I then give the board another gravity fling to dislodge any remaining droplets that are stuck in the memory, CPU socket and ISA slots. One more time I take the hair dryer to it. When it appears dry I set it to the side for several days. When I feel that all water is evaporated. I then assemble the board and I am good to go. Can you come up with a better way?"

Whats wrong with a good industrial quality air gun? HEHE

I don't think so, i have never heard of that, maybe it works but i would never do it. They do make electronic circuit cleaners, And i have never had to "clean" my mobo other than using a air can, Plus with changing my mobo every 9 months i wouldn't need to do that.

I think your case has most to do with it. I have a nice sealed case and plenty of fans, doesn't get that dusty inside other than dirt on the fan blades and heat sink.
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

Well, until last week, I never would have done it either. But after reading that page, I showed it to my brother. And he says as a slot-tech working in Reno, they did it all the time. Just threw the boards in a tub of soapy water, came back from break and took them out, shook them off and let them dry, then put them back in. It didn't surprise him at all. It makes me shudder though to just think about it.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    I do it with my Microsoft Keyboard once every year, to get rid of the grim and the dust soapy water, under the shower for a while, the leave it two days in a place with good air current to dry

works like a charm, next step, my Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by el-Ignoramus
    I do it with my Microsoft Keyboard once every year, to get rid of the grim and the dust soapy water, under the shower for a while
    Stick it in the dishwasher...
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Quote Originally Posted by ViRGo_RK

pwah. at least he didnt wire the molex up wrongly.
    Unsurprisingly, mine didn't work.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robbmcaulay
    Stick it in the dishwasher...

But I can't fit in the dishwasher, plus it's a hassle to remove the shleves everytime I need a shower

wait. what does he do for dripping/melting?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]