A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: reporting virus emails

imagination through stupidity

reporting virus emails

Most virus emails are generated by mail servers the offender has at their house. This will always leave an trace (their external IP). I urge everyone to use this IP address and do a back trace.

You can do a domain reverse ip search here, http://www2.cqcounter.com/whois/. This should give you the name and website of the ISP. Most ISPs in modern countries will have abuse emails or links to abuse forms.

If you use Outlook or Outlook express, you can save your email as a .msg document to your desktop. THen open it using Notepad, the IP address will look something like, X-ClientAddr: XX.XXX.XXX.XXX
    Nothing to see here, move along.

And if it comes from China or some third world country as most do, what you gonna do then?

Quote Originally Posted by iaskwhy
    And if it comes from China or some third world country as most do, what you gonna do then?
    If its really really serious, call the FBI. If it comes from China and the ISP does not care about abuse then there is nothing to really do.

A lot comes from zombie PC's, so you could get a non tech-savy into serious problems if he has a fixed IP and gets reported more than once.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

Quote Originally Posted by Subway
    A lot comes from zombie PC's, so you could get a non tech-savy into serious problems if he has a fixed IP and gets reported more than once.

Fredi
    I got 10+ virus emails from the same ip address over the course of a week. Even dynamic ip addresses, ISPs keep logs of who had what ip when.

Anyone who had the same type of email from here, http://flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=645272

Please go here, http://bbplus.ntlworld.com/NetReport/index.php and report your incident.