A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Paintball Recommendations

Paintball Recommendations

Hey guys. I'm looking to take up paintball. I know pretty much nothing about it, but I really am interested in getting into it. Can I get some recommendations on guns and stuff?

Plus any tips on gear I should buy or what to wear when playing would be great.

Thanks in advance.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    what's your budget?

go for a tippman 98 custom, you can always expand your gun to fit your needs.

Don't be cheap on the mask. Actually spend alot on the mask, and make it a good choise (one with alot of vision). I always say: "if you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

imagination through stupidity
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojosmackwit
    Hey guys. I'm looking to take up paintball. I know pretty much nothing about it, but I really am interested in getting into it. Can I get some recommendations on guns and stuff?

Plus any tips on gear I should buy or what to wear when playing would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    all you need to know that paintball is great, its shooting violence without killing people. You do get to hurt them, yes, paintballs welts can hurt like hell. the best thing are corporate paintball events, you get to shoot your boss. (your not gona see a formal corporation doing that)
    Nothing to see here, move along.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    btw paintball is alot more fun when your more experienced then the others.

i've been playing paintball for like 2 years. I know alot of neat dirty tricks to scare the bejesus out of people, before, during and after playing paintball

Well, I'd like to aim somewhere between $50 and $200. I was thinking of checking ebay for some of yall's suggestions.

I'd really like to hear suggestions though as if money were no object.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    well if money was no object i would go with an angel.

but since your budget is pretty low (i paid like 300 euro's for mask and paintball gun in 2001), i would definetly go with a tipmann custom 98.

it's pretty cheap, it's upgradable (no gun is as upgradable as this gun). seriously you can make it 3 burst automatic or full automatic. Exchange the gassystem (nitrogen instead of co2) put on a stock and scope. Change the tank layout (more balance with the tank more foward, or maybe a long hose for the tank in your pocket.

basicly you can upgrade it to a subtop paintball gun over a longer period. The top guns are all around 1000 dollars, but are less flexible.

as i said before the visor is probably the most important thing you can buy. You could have the best gun in the world and not shoot well because you can't see **** trough the visor. Seriously, you'll get annoyed really soon when you have a really bad visor. The fog and paint clogging up your vision is enough to make you go insane. (especially when you cannot remove the mask during game time)

imagination through stupidity
    Quote Originally Posted by justice strike
    angels are soo over rated, because they're imported. (for all ya USA ppl here)
    Nothing to see here, move along.

Quote Originally Posted by justice strike

but since your budget is pretty low (i paid like 300 euro's for mask and paintball gun in 2001), i would definetly go with a tipmann custom 98.

it's pretty cheap, it's upgradable (no gun is as upgradable as this gun). seriously you can make it 3 burst automatic or full automatic. Exchange the gassystem (nitrogen instead of co2) put on a stock and scope. Change the tank layout (more balance with the tank more foward, or maybe a long hose for the tank in your pocket.

basicly you can upgrade it to a subtop paintball gun over a longer period. The top guns are all around 1000 dollars, but are less flexible.

as i said before the visor is probably the most important thing you can buy. You could have the best gun in the world and not shoot well because you can't see **** trough the visor. Seriously, you'll get annoyed really soon when you have a really bad visor. The fog and paint clogging up your vision is enough to make you go insane. (especially when you cannot remove the mask during game time)
    How would I exchange the gas system? Simple or rebuild required? What's the difference between the two gasses?

Thanks for you help. And maybe I'll raise my budget if I need to. The cost isn't a huge deal, just trying to keep it reasonable.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojosmackwit
    How would I exchange the gas system? Simple or rebuild required? What's the difference between the two gasses?

Thanks for you help. And maybe I'll raise my budget if I need to. The cost isn't a huge deal, just trying to keep it reasonable.

you'll get a new internal system. It's no big deal though. No harder then cleaning your gun.

co2 is cheap. But inconsistent. So if you shoot 5 shots, the airpressure is not the same and the velocity of the ball is not the same. Thus making your gun inconsistent.

You could help this problem a little by having a extra expansion chamber (extra upgrade) i think these expansion chambers are like 20 $ or something like that? (i'm not sure atm). But it's basicly a cheap work around wich gives you decent results for the money, but is nowhere near as good as a no2 system. (you even have 2 stage expansion chambers, wich keeps out cold liquid co2 from coming into you gun)

nitrogen is alot more consistent in air pressure. You'll have less trouble with the liquid form of the nitrogen (when it's cold or when you have shot alot) getting in your gun. Ofcourse you could use expansion chambers with nitrogen but that's all up to you.

anyway i would get a co2 based system. It's cheaper, and with an expansion chamber (or even without) it's good enough to start with. If your not satisfied, then you can get the upgrade as an aftertought.

just get a tippmann custom, but if you do please get a other barrel. The stock barrel is such a piece of crap!! or if you think you will never upgrade your gun. Get a spyder. Their alot better but not as upgradable (actually i don't think there are any upgrades worth mentioning for the spyder)

p.s. the angel might be overrated, but standard it's still better then a upgraded tippmann or spyder, however you have to still lay down 1000 dollar, and a tippmann is just a whole lot cheaper and you can upgrade it to come near the performance of a angel
    Last edited by justice strike; 08-21-2005 at 05:51 AM.