A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Build your own version of windows

Build your own version of windows

Have you ever wanted to remove some Windows components like Media Player, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, MSN Explorer, Messenger...

How about not even to install them with Windows ?

nLite is a GUI for permanent Windows component removal by your choice. After removal there is an option to make bootable image ready for burning on cd or testing in virtual machines. With nLite you will be able to have Windows installation which on install doesn't include, or even contain on cd, unwanted components.

nLite Features

- Service Pack Integration
    - Component Removal
    - Unattended Setup
    - Driver Integration *
    - Hotfixes Integration **
    - Tweaks
    - Patches ***
    - Bootable ISO creation

* - Textmode (CD Boot) and normal PnP
    ** - only new type 1 hotfixes (for example XP post SP2)
    ***- supports generic SFC, Uxtheme, TcpIp and Usb Polling patching.

So far it supports Windows 2000, XP x86/x64 and 2003 x86 all languages. Windows Vista will be supported as well.

You need at least .NET Framework 1.1 in order to run it... Check if you have it already in Add/Remove programs, or on your CDs before downloading it.

There, i hope you like it and have in mind it's still in beta phase so report on the forum any bugs or annoyances found.
    http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

MS could have avoided all of the nastiness with the EU by bundling something like this with Windows.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Once I get back to school(high speed) and not home(dialup) I will be making my own XP disk with the pro disk I have laying around. Have firefox and other apps I will always just install anyways automatically be on there. And definitely get rid of some other useless garbage.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

http://unattended.msfn.org

AWESOME step by step guide. Don't think you could find one any better.