A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Computer resources for kids with Autism

Computer resources for kids with Autism

My boss, object of my biterness and venom though he may be, had his 9 year old nephew in today who is autistic. The kid is a computer whiz, plain and simple.

He types like Liberace on speed, has built his own webpage, which chronicles his use and install of every windows version back to 1.0. No sh*t.

For all his faults, my boss is a damn good father and is incredible with this kid. He took an old PC from the back, and ripped it apart so the kid could put it together, set it up, and keep it.

Unfortunately, the kid's Dad is a loser. He's not into "computer stuff" and therefore doesn't do anything to help his kid along or get him into it. From my understanding, when an Autistic kid latches on to something, you run with it, because that's ultimately what they enjoy out of life. Usually it's mathematiacal. (Computers, music, math, etc.)

So, does anyone know of any links, resources, schools, etc. for kids or parents of kids with Autism that are computer freaks?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    So, does anyone know of any links, resources, schools, etc. for kids or parents of kids with Autism that are computer freaks?
    I will look for Autism links for you, but in the meantime...you should send the kid's dad some of this.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

no I dont..(sorry)....but Im glad I read this post. and Im glad the kid has some direction and the drive to this. I dont think anything should get in his way....so its awesome YOU are putting time to help out like this.

Kids are me weakness, I hate to see them hurt or disabled or anything...

SO is he a damn good father..or a looser? LOL at least he gave him somethign to play with..

Quote Originally Posted by whispers
    SO is he a damn good father..or a looser? LOL at least he gave him somethign to play with..
    Yea, that confused me too, but I gather the kid is not the bosses kid.

Boss = uncle.
    Kid's Dad = loser.

Personally, I can't stand kids. But I admire how my boss deals with this and I felt like doing something...what's the word....nice?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

well geez....you just SH*T all over the good image I had of you! LOL

(kid hater) LOL

dont wanna sound mean buit dont bring him to flashkit. gerbs doesnt need another stalker.

ill check out the computer stuff also, i know my highschool had a few autistics and one set of twins that was autistic so ill seee what i can find from my old it teacher to see if he did anything with them.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

hmm there seems to be a lot of info out thre on how computers can be used to aid learning for children with autism, and some info on how some people with autism become excellent programmers (it's to do with the way their brains work), but can't really find much on teaching/ helping kids with autism work with computers like you're talking about.

if it's something he has a flair for and seems to enjoy then yeah i agree all should be done to encourage this!!

could he not perhaps just go to a regular computing class of some kind? i guess this would depend on the severity of his autism and how it affects him (as it affects children in very different ways).....

sorry not much help am i?!

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    did he use a WYSIWYG prog to create his website?? maybe instead of looking for something "autistic" driven just get him into a HTML site so that he can learn the basics and then introduce him to PHP, and keep moving. By the time this kid is 18 he'll probably be putting all of us outta work.

Just turn him loose in a language arena, he sounds like he'll catch on very fast.....and then, who knows.

Good luck!

http://www.autism.org/temple/faq.html

High functioning autistic and Asperger teenagers need mentors to help them develop their talents into a career skill. They need somebody to teach them computer programming or graphic arts. A local computer professional could serve as a mentor or the individual may be able to take a programming class at a community college. Many parents wonder where they can find a mentor for their teenager. Try posting a notice on a bulletin board at a university computer science department or strike up a conversation with the man in the supermarket checkout line who is wearing a badge with the name of a computer company on it. I found one of my mentors in the business world when I met the wife of his insurance agent.

I just gave the kid an old copy of Flash 4 we have and some old books to get him going. It's weird. He does absolutely nothing to acknowledge that he heard or understood you, but he gets everything you say perfectly. He'll answer a direct question, but it's like you never asked it.

Coming from a communications background where I look for non-verbals and feedback indicators in people, I have to restrain myself from prompting him for a response.

I can't imagine how tough that has to be on parents, I really kinda feel bad for them. Or at least the ones who try. Heck, it's hard for me to imagine tutoring him. I'm not great with kids to begin with, but how do you know you're getting through to him, or if you're confusing him, or if he doesn't like the way you're teaching him, or if he even wants to learn?

Everyone, go hug your damn kids.
    Last edited by PAlexC; 08-23-2005 at 05:37 PM.

buit dont bring him to flashkit. gerbs doesnt need another stalker.
    SO wrong in every way possible.....

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Try the bbc website, it has absolutly tons of information on everything and was helpful when I was doing some research into disabled computer users... www.bbc.co.uk

How old is this kid?

Nice to see you making a difference... Next you'll be getting all broody!