A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Game] Starfighter fury level 1

[Game] Starfighter fury level 1

http://www.flashninjaclan.com/test.html

This is just level 1 and the first boss of the game I'm making, just want some feedback.

The number in the top left is your life, top right is the distance you have to go and the bottom right is the number of enemies needed to kill before you can advance onto the boss. Please check it out.

Sorry for crappy artwork.

too laggy! Make the fps 31.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok updated to 31fps.

It plays fine on my computer. I'm currently running on a 1ghz Duron with 512 RAM. What is the fps at right now?

Its probably the amount of collision detections thats slowing it down as the spaceship and enemies clips are each divided into smaller clips for better collision detection purposes.
    Last edited by Archbob; 08-23-2005 at 08:37 PM.

Right well thats not a great thing to do, means you have two or three times the amount of mcs on screen which will run slow, actually it was fine for me but if you are going to have different ships make the front of them squareish so you can just use normal collision detection.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

Thats what I did for the Boss(anyone got there yet?)
    But Squarish ships look kinda crappy at times.

AquaCorpse saves the day again
    it ran fine for me but it's kinda of boring after awhile and 120 enimies is alot
    aqua corpse he's a really cool guy...

I shorted the game distance from 3000 to 1500. And changes enemies needed from 120 to 75.
    Last edited by Archbob; 08-24-2005 at 01:40 AM.

Mouse control for a game like this is evil I'm afraid to say mate.

Didn't get as far as the boss, the control mode put me off. Could you slow the baddies right down, 'cause atm it's more like playing an apple catching game than a shooter. It'd play better if they didn't just whizz down the screen ( Hmmm is whizz slang for having a piss ? Well you know what I mean ), but kept shooting quickly, so you'd have to dodge the bullets whilst still trying to shoot them.

Also in a shooter, don't worry about being too accurate with your collision detection. What I always do is create a simple rectangle mc and drop it into the baddie sprite's mc. I then set visible=false and hitTest agasint that.
    Also setting that slightly bigger than it really should be helps the game feel better, in that the player gets the odd "lucky" shot ( The opposite is true for the player, where the hitAreaMC is smaller than it should be ).

Squize.

Work on it. It could become a good game

PS Enemy bullets shoud kill and should be more visible
    Card Games - play many card games free
    Free Games many free online games

speed problem for me to

3.2Ghz
    512ram
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

i didnt even get to play IE crashed im comps to slow

i run at 1ghz

and 256ram

sry cant comment on it

You had trouble on a 3.2 GHZ PC?

I turned theg ame back to 15 fps, it running pretty well on my 1ghz PC. I'll see what I can do about it.

maybe if you upload a fps counter i could give you an exact result, but for now it still looks choopy and laggy. It also could be the webpage problem thingy. I read about it somewhere , but the html page reduces the frame rate by approx 10fps, when i post a movie on the net i increase the fps by 10 to compensate. Hmmmmm I wonder if their a better way around that!
    Last edited by mr_malee; 08-24-2005 at 12:30 PM.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

It says its going 66 - 70 but it seems like its going at 12

I changed some of the collision to reduce the number, it should be going faster and smoother now.

Plays fast enough for me, but it's tough on your shooty finger! I like an autofire in games like these, but there should be a minor penalty for using it. For example, if you hold the mouse you can get 1 shot off every other frame, but if you click like mad manually you can get a shot off every frame. That way when the action gets intense, the player can choose to shoot faster at the penalty of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Mouse control makes it all a bit easy. I can kinda teleport around the screen with quick flicks on my trackball. On my second attempt, I got to the boss with full health then took one hit fighting him.

Also, once you've got your quota of baddies, it's a helluva lot simpler to sit back and not fire. The enemies are easier to dodge without bullets heading towards them, which is odd really!

By the way, I reckon the graphics have a sort of Atari 2600 charm to them

Yeah, the first level is kinda easy and the first boss is too is your good at these kind of games. But level 2 and 3 will be harder.