A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Create A Floating Flash Ad???

Create A Floating Flash Ad???

Hi Folks,

Ok so I know we've all seen those neato yet annoying flash ads that pop up on your page and appear to be floating over the html. For instance a car cruising over you page with an ad for ricks oil change emporium.

Well I wanted to do something a little different. I have an email a friend module on one of my sites that I would like to have pop up like this when the user clicks a button. I created a neat little speech bubble with animation that if I can get it working I think will look quite sharp.

I've found some code reference online, but haven't had any luck tracking down some good documentation on how to do this. As far as I can tell I can ad a layer in Dream Weaver that will give me this effect. Basically creating a div tag that says what file to pull and where to have it pop into your page.

Other sites speak of dhtml for doing this which makes sense when you consider absolute positioning.

So long story short I've been trying to do this all morning unsuccessfully. Anybody have a good link for reference? Can someone explain how this is done?

Thanks..

Ignoramus In Chief
    The easiest way to do it would be to publish the movie with a transparent background and place an invisible/button/trigger over the button, and float the whole thing over your html elements. Check out the following link for more info: http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/kn...fm?id=tn_14201

You could also try using Flash Ad Kit (available at Macromedia), but the above method would be easiest.
    Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon.

Thanks Mr. Dickhurtz..nice name by the by..

This makes more sense than any other links I've seen yet. I didn't think of floating and invisible button over my html. I'm gonna give that a shot right now.

Thanks for the input!

Hey here's a question for you. Right now I have a javascript pop up box that is set up for this module. If someone doesn't have the flash player and they try to click on the button will the code beneath the invisible flash still work?

If that is the case I can account for those that don't have the plug-in by simply leaving the code as is. I was going to set up a sniffer to detect for this, but if they don't have the plug in will I even have to do anything?

Ignoramus In Chief
    I'd think so, but you don't know 'til you try

Ignoramus In Chief
    if that doesn't work try putting the flash element on the bottom layer

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/flash5/dhtmlflash.htm

pretty good tutorial here on using dhtml

Ignoramus In Chief
    erm... isn't that exactly the same as the link to macromedia I posted earlier on this thread? anyhoo... that's what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhurtz
    erm... isn't that exactly the same as the link to macromedia I posted earlier on this thread? anyhoo... that's what I meant.
    looks like about the same. i ddint click your thread, was just posting what i had :P

Ignoramus In Chief

Thanks fellas. I'll post my progress if I ever get back working on this project. That link is what I was looking for.