A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Cut Outs

Red face

I have a problem.

I created an irregular object that has 3 cut-outs to it. I exported it to a wmf file.

After importing it, the inside cut-outs is seperate from the main object.

How do I get the cut-outs to be part of the object so the cut-outs will display what's underneath it?

I have read about using fonts etc. on other posts, but that deals with "O"'s and bitmaps.

But If I create complex pictures with cutouts, the last thing I want to do is recreate the cutout objects with a converted text ("O"). Especially when there are 3-5 cutouts in one object.

Please help!
    [Edited by fwhilton on 12-05-2000 at 09:43 AM]

1. You don't have to use converted O text glyphs. We suggested that people do this becuase it is the easiest way to get that shape with a hole in it. If you switch to point to point shapes then that will allow you to create shape cut outs that way. Also keep in mind that Kool Moves allows you to morph and change individual points. If you used the O shape then moved points you could create any shape you wanted- The crossover points are light blue BTW.

2. The reason why the cut outs are seperate after exporting as WMF is becuase of the way that the program you used exported as WMF. Kool Moves places each shape in its own layer- that's why you're imported shape has done this. Is this a problem? Well it would be near impossible for any one application, even with open standards, to import 100% all other programs files. This can be seen when Macromedia Flash imports Adobe Illustrator files. Flash can import the EPS file but the layers are altered.

3. I would have to see the image to advise further but exporting to a bitmap then either hand tracing in Kool Moves or using a diferrent graphic app may be your solution (one that vectorizes). Remember Kool Moves does not recogonize bitmapped information in vector formats.

I hope that helps.

Oh yeah I almost forgot If the shapes are corect you can group shapes. Almost forget about that. Again I am not sure what you are trying to do so I would have to see the image before giving more acurate advise. You could take a screen shot and post it in the forum by using the [*img]image url[*/img] tag (remove the *'s).

Lets use a Jewish star of david for example. (Israels star on their flag)

It has 6 cutouts in it. When I import from CorelDraw to wmf. It comes in on seperate layers. But the main star is solid with no cut outs.

How do I get the cut outs in the star? Can points be added to the interior of an object?

What if I have a human for a graphic and his hand is on his hip. How would I get the cut out of his arm to work?

Originally posted by johnie
    Oh yeah I almost forgot If the shapes are corect you can group shapes. Almost forget about that. Again I am not sure what you are trying to do so I would have to see the image before giving more acurate advise. You could take a screen shot and post it in the forum by using the [*img]image url[*/img] tag (remove the *'s).

You can change the shape to No fill and then have only a frame. You could also have a set the fill to gradient and then have one be 100% transparent and then have the rest of it be solid.

In the arm example you would use layers. The arm would be on a lower layer than the Hip and the tip of the Arm would be masked by the hip.

here I have an example running around Of something like this. I'll Dig it up and post it.

And Yes points can be added to the interior.

An Example of shapes in the interior

[swf width=300 height=300 background="#FFFFFF"]http://www.geocities.com/jsnider.geo/examplea.swf [/swf]

The shorts on this Anime Girl, have points added to the interior of a shape.

The shiney parts of her eyes are cut outs.

The shirt masks the bottom of her breasts. Just as the shorts mask the bottom of the shirt.

The hair is at the top layer.

Since the arms are at a lower layer- right now than the shorts to make the hand move behind the shorts all you would have to do is stretch the arm behind the it.

With chatracter Animations I like to use open ended shapes for the limbs- This allows me to change a lot of flexibility. See by creating the limbs different from the rest of the drawingts I could possibly copy the arm shape, turn onion skinning on, and then delete the original and place the copy exactly like the original- I can then change the layer that the original is on. Now why would I want to do this you ask? Lets Say I ahd a situation where I wanted to show an arm moving from behind the Back to in front of the body. Thats where I'd want to use that.

Now

Back to your Import problem:

More than likely if you can import a solid main shape without the other information chances are the Image either;

1. had bitmap information for the interior (I know that Illustrator and Star Offices 3-D engine does this. You must vectorize the bitmap info inside of the Vector shape). Both the WMF and EPS formats allow for Bitmaps inside of vector shapes. The problem is that Kool Moves does not recogonize this info. Also please note that Kool Moves does not allow Bitmap Image manipulation and tranformation at this time.

2. all of the info was on the same layer.

Chances are that the cause is #1.

HOW????

Originally posted by johnie
    And Yes points can be added to the interior.

You have to place them into the interior with the add point function. If you make the line color transparent you can make the shape "Float" inside of the new shape. I'll whip up an example of that and post it here tonight.
    [Edited by johnie on 12-05-2000 at 01:48 PM]

I have an the example done. While doing the example I was thinking that what I was doing and decided that it was counter productive. It would be easier to just have several shapes then group them into one shape using the group function.

To Group shapes you need to sellect several shapes thet hit Edit> Group.

real Lame example of various cut outs

[swf width=400 height=400 background="#FF33FF"]http://www.geocities.com/jsnider.geo/floatyshape.swf[/swf]

These are some lame cutout examples- I whipped them up real quick so don't laugh. There are 3 ways to create a cuttout.

Method 1. Draw a shape and then give it a transparent gradient fill in the center. The rectangular thing was done that way.

Method 2- Use the O Glyph and then alter its shape with the move point by point method- The square with the witches hat looking thing was created that way. This is 1 shape. Notice that if you cross the lines you can create internal shapes.

Method 3- Use point by point draw method and then cross the points to the inside. The orange looking thing was done that way.

Method 4- Draw several shapes then group them. The line thingy was created that way.

[Edited by johnie on 12-06-2000 at 11:45 AM]

Sometimes the Star of David is shown as interweaving in a complicated way. In that case Johnie's Method 4 would be best. But the Israeli Flag is not that complicated. You can make it with just two overlapping hollow tiangles of the same color. Here is one way of doing it, using Johnie's Method 3:
    1.) Draw a tiangle, and then without stoping, draw its inner cutout edge. If you were drawing a hollow circle instead, you could think of it as drawing a 'U' shape and then bending its ends together to form an 'O'. Under the Points menu there are two commands, 'Get Position' and 'Set Position', which can help you fuse the end points together. But, to use these commands, you have to first selected a point, then 'Get Position', then select another point and 'Set Position'.
    2.) This will leave an unwanted line going from the outer edge of the triagle to its inner cutout edge. So change the line thikness to zero in the dialogue box for shape properties. To get there, selecting your triagle then double click it.
    3.) Now to create the star, make a copy, flip it vertically and overlay it on your fist triangle. There is currently a bug with fliping so: a.)Under the Frames menu click on Insert Blank. b.)Paste your triangle in the blank frame and flip it. c.)Copy it and paste it back in your original frame. d.)Then delete that extra frame.
    Good luck! Hope this works for you.

[Edited by Richard W on 12-06-2000 at 12:00 AM]